Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 temps too high?

Last response: in CPUs
May 18, 2008 4:56:58 AM

I apologize if this has been asked too much but I've been reading everything I can find and can't get a basic simple answer. I just finished building a system this weekend (second one ever) and my temps seem to be above what everybody else is reporting. Here is the system:

evga 680i MOBO
q6600 CPU (G0 stepping)
Artic Cooling CPU cooler
evga 8800GT 512mb video card
2 GB G.Skill PC6400 RAM
Rosewill 550 watt PSU
All inside an Apevia X-Plorer mid-tower case. Case came with 2 fans, one on top, one on rear. I added two more 80mm input fans on the front and one 80mm input fan on the side blowing right at the CPU.

All settings are stock, no overclocking yet.

As I sit here writing this, my NVIDIA Monitor shows the following:

CPU 59C
System 48C
GPU 73C

My question is, are these too high? Even if they are a bit high, are they excessively high and, if so, what would your suggestions be?

Again, sorry if this is asked a lot but I'm just looking for a quick, easy answer.

Thanks,

phxflyboy

More about : q6600 temps high

a b à CPUs
May 18, 2008 5:18:42 AM

Reseat the cooler, if 59C is the "CPU" temperature, then the cores will be ~5C more than that. And these are idle temps, so your load temps would probably be in the 70s.
a c 132 à CPUs
May 18, 2008 5:38:30 AM

Turn off any fan control options in the bios and make sure you are running speed step and C1E since they drop idle temps.

Core temp is a good way to get your cpu temps

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Related resources
a c 127 à CPUs
May 18, 2008 5:54:05 AM

What is the specific model of your CPU cooler? I run in the 30-34c idle and thats with a OC to a 333FSB so thats 2GHz idle and 3GHz normal which is at about 50-52c full load (100% on all 4 cores). And I use a Zalman CPNS9700.

Also open the case and put your hand in front of your CPU kinda where your memory is and right before your HDD's to make sure there is proper air flow. Make sure the front fans are pulling air in and the top and back fan are pulling air out. I got my case and there were 2 out of the 5 fans pushing air the wrong way.
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2008 6:06:51 AM

If you are using the stock cooler, put your hand on the heatsink after 10 mins or so of load. If it's not getting very warm then you need to remount it. Fortunately modern chips can't die no matter what you do to them. I had my E6600 at stok yesterday with zero heatsink contact (except for a tiny blob of thermal paste that was touching both surfaces, but not enough pressure to spread it at all) and it booted to the BIOS fine, although my TCase temp was rising at about 0.5C/second.
May 18, 2008 6:16:33 AM

Run the Core Temp program that nukemaster linked and post temps. If you have the stock HS randomizer gave you the answer.

Get your wallet out and buy a new power supply before your system blows up. It doesn't' have anything to do with your temps, it's just a total piece of junk.

Throw it in the street.
May 18, 2008 6:17:50 AM

randomizer said:
If you are using the stock cooler, put your hand on the heatsink after 10 mins or so of load. If it's not getting very warm then you need to remount it. Fortunately modern chips can't die no matter what you do to them. I had my E6600 at stok yesterday with zero heatsink contact (except for a tiny blob of thermal paste that was touching both surfaces, but not enough pressure to spread it at all) and it booted to the BIOS fine, although my TCase temp was rising at about 0.5C/second.
Ballsy move. It can't be very healthy.
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2008 6:31:39 AM

This chip was never healthy, it's impossible to get it to idle below 34C on a cold day. That's with C1E. Still, at least we know Intel is doing a good job at preventing fried chips.
May 18, 2008 6:47:43 AM

Did it throttle, and what was the max temp?
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2008 7:18:39 AM

I would assume it throttled, considering the only surface to dissipate heat was the IHS. I have made it throttle in windows with a HS on. Bump it to 1.7V and 2 seconds of prime95 sends it to 83-84C (TJunctionMax is 85C) where it sits pretty stable. If it didn't throttle, it would go well over that before either shutting down or frying.
May 18, 2008 7:58:07 AM

It sounds like you are really putting it through rigorous quality control testing. :lol: 
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2008 8:23:12 AM

I was just trying to OC it, but with it's high temps to tart with it isn't easy. Strange as this sounds, it OCs further with C1E enabled, contrary to the belief that C1E causes instability.
May 18, 2008 6:35:05 PM

Seriously, the PSU is that bad? I did a bit of research and thought it seemed like a decent one.

I'm running Core Temp right now and it's showing 58/54/52/57.

I'm getting some thermal paste today and going to try resetting the CPU cooler, it's an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 92mm. Had some trouble getting it to set the first time, wondering if I smeared off all the paste?

Thanks for all the help. Gotta go to work in a few so I'll try everything else tonight.

A side note completely unrelated, when I installed my printers, my Epson R1800 shows up twice in my system tray. Any idea why and how to get rid of one of them.

Thanks,

phxflyboy
a c 132 à CPUs
May 18, 2008 7:30:01 PM

Is speedstep and C1E on?
May 18, 2008 8:01:08 PM

Not sure, how do I check that?

phxflyboy
a c 132 à CPUs
May 18, 2008 8:21:43 PM

if you get CPU-Z it will show your cpu speed..

The multiplier should drop to 6 when the cpu is idle and jump to 9 when at load

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Also set you power management to portable/laptop in the display - > screen saver -> power options
May 19, 2008 12:53:22 AM

phxflyboy said:
Seriously, the PSU is that bad? I did a bit of research and thought it seemed like a decent one.
What is the model number of the Rosewill?
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2008 1:12:45 AM

nukemaster said:
Is speedstep and C1E on?

That isn't going to help when he starts loading up his cores and hitting the 70s. It shouldn't be required to keep under 50C idle either (like I can talk).
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2008 4:23:08 AM

You got enough power, assuming that is a decent PSU. I'm not sure which of the Rosewill's are good, I just know it's the more powerful ones.
a c 132 à CPUs
May 19, 2008 4:39:11 AM

randomizer said:
That isn't going to help when he starts loading up his cores and hitting the 70s. It shouldn't be required to keep under 50C idle either (like I can talk).

My E6600 Idles in the mid to high 40s(44-48 depending on room temps) at stock and only loads 52-54 with speed step off.

4 Cores + low air flow + fan speed control can give warm temps.

just covering the possibility
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2008 5:34:37 AM

You confused me with your 4 core E6600 there :lol:  I was starting to think that maybe my high 40s to low 50s idle with speedstep off was normal for an E6600. Luckily looking at your config restores my faith that my chip belongs in Intels waste bin.
May 19, 2008 5:44:58 AM

phxflyboy said:
This is the power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Jonnyguru says that PSU is a good budget PSU. He only gave it an 8.5 due to no active PFC and less than stellar efficiency. He did make note that they used Fuhjyyu capacitors on the secondary, which aren't the best. He said if you keep them cool you will be OK.

Here is his review: JonnyGURU.com - Rosewill RP500-2 500W

I still don't like Rosewill but apparently this one gets a pass.

May 19, 2008 5:55:26 AM

Zorg - I read that review before purchasing, actually helped me make up my mind.

OK, I removed the Arctic Cooling CPU cooler and put on the stock. Temps were the same or a bit lower, oddly enough. I saw my first sub-50's. I turned on Speed Step in the BIOS but I don't know what "C1E" is. Gonna try the BIOS again right now and see what I find.

phxflyboy
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2008 5:57:14 AM

C1E should be in the same menu as speedstep, it may not be called that though. It may be called Enhanced Halt State or something.
May 19, 2008 6:07:01 AM

I found it, and it was enabled. I'm hovering around the 51-56 range, all fans on 100%. That is with the stock cooler. I'm borrowing a Zalman from a friend tomorrow, I'll see what that'll do for me. Maybe just being in a mid-tower case is my temperature demon.

I just downloaded the cpuz program and am going to run it.

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you updated as things progress. Any other ideas are appreciated.

phxflyboy
a c 127 à CPUs
May 19, 2008 4:55:44 PM

Is it a CPNS9700 or 9500? It will make a slight difference as the size of the fan and heatsink are a bit different the 9700 being bigger. If it is one oe the 9X00 Zalmans make sure you have the fan facing the front of the case so it pulls the air towards the back.

Might just be that the cooler you have doesn't work well with a Q6600.

After looking at the HSF it should keep your CPU decnetly cool like in the 30's. One thing I do not like are the push pins as I am sure that might not be holding it down tightly enough to make sufficient contact especially in a tower. Intels stock HSFs do fine since they are small but one like that probably weighs it down. Also make sure the fan on that one points towards the case to pull cooler air over the heatsink and out the back of the case.

Oh something else just popped into my head. What are your voltages for the CPU at? Some mobos will set the Vcore really high if you have it on auto and make the CPU run hotter than it needs to be. You should lower them manually and see if it runs stable. Some can get away with as little as 1.09v. Mine ran stable @ 2.7GHz OC on 1.121v but had to go to 1.225 for the 3GHz OC which is still way under the stock 1.325. I would suggest you try to lower the voltages in BIOS and that should also help the temps.
a c 132 à CPUs
May 19, 2008 5:04:13 PM

My E6600 does idle high. And it does have a Freezer 7 Pro @ 2300rpms in a sonata II with low speed fans

I am just saying that with a quad in the 50's in a system with low air flow no C1E or speed step and auto fan speed trying to make things quiet can happen
This ones undervolted and all.

Load

EDIT....

Can not agree more with the above comment on voltage. if its 1.325 that would do it. G0's normally run 1.225 as stock, or at least mine does.
May 19, 2008 5:48:09 PM

Oh by the way, I turned the computer off last night, fired it up this morning and it's been running for a couple hours and temps are showing 49-46-46-49 as I type this. And that's with outside air temps already over 100 here in Phoenix on the way to 108 for the day. I'm cheap so I only cool my house to around 79-80.

phxflyboy
May 19, 2008 5:50:08 PM

I'm still too new to try overclocking, I want to do a little more research before I dive in. I will check the voltage and adjust accordingly. I'll go with the 1.225 if you think that is correct.

phxflyboy
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2008 6:20:21 PM

phxflyboy said:
Oh by the way, I turned the computer off last night, fired it up this morning and it's been running for a couple hours and temps are showing 49-46-46-49 as I type this. And that's with outside air temps already over 100 here in Phoenix on the way to 108 for the day. I'm cheap so I only cool my house to around 79-80.

phxflyboy

First off, give Real Temp a go and see if it agrees with Core Temp and secondly try turning your side fan around so that it exhausts the hot air away from the graphics card. My Q6600 lives in a smallish tower (read cheap!) with nine HDD's and a passively cooled graphic card with only an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 preventing meltdown.
May 20, 2008 12:04:49 AM

Mousemonkey said:
First off, give Real Temp a go and see if it agrees with Core Temp
Real temp will not agree with Core Temp for the Q6600. The default Tjmax in Real temp is 95C and it is 100C for Core Temp. So all temps in Real Temp are 5C lower.
a c 127 à CPUs
May 20, 2008 5:35:08 AM

phxflyboy said:

phxflyboy

Thats better. BTW I live 2 Hours south of you, yes Tucson, so I know what you mean about hot. And 79-80 is fine really just need to make sure airflow is good.

1.225v might work if you OC to 3GHz but I would worry about fixing your heat problem first. I would suggest you lowere the Vcore to say 1.15 first and see if that helps and if it is stable. Each CPU is different. Some will run very well undervolted others wont. Use Prime95 to put 100% load on all 4 cores to see the load temp and if its stable at 1.15v at stcok. If it is lower it to the next level down and repeat until you find your lowest possible stable core voltage at stock speeds with speedstep and such.

Then once you get the temp to at least 30c try for a nice 3-3.2GHz OC.
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2008 11:19:07 AM

Zorg said:
Real temp will not agree with Core Temp for the Q6600. The default Tjmax in Real temp is 95C and it is 100C for Core Temp. So all temps in Real Temp are 5C lower.

Yes I agree, but if it still reads high i.e 44-41-41-44 compared to Core Temps 49-46-46-49 then the chances of a spurious sensor reading are slightly lessened and as you say Real Temp is calibrated for the G0's unlike Core Temp which is more for the B3's.
May 20, 2008 6:10:13 PM

They will have identical readings except 5C apart. They both use the same DTS.
a c 132 à CPUs
May 20, 2008 9:35:58 PM

^ Agreed
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2008 12:09:13 AM

You could say your temps are 34-31-31-34 and still be right since nobody really has any idea what the TJ Max actually is. You need to measure the temp with something accurate and then record the temp as the CPU shuts down.
!