UNDERclocking 8800GT

tokyotech

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
I have an Evga 8800GT at the normal Mhz. Is it advisable to undeclock the it below 600 Mhz to increase its lifespan and decrease the temperature? Right now, I am not using my PC to do graphics design or playing games, so I think the graphics card is running harder than it should be.

Another question, what exactly does the "automatic" fan setting do in nTune? Its not very automatic. I think it's been fxed at 29% forever. How do I really get it to spin faster when the temperature goes up?

undeux1.gif

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Your GPU and memory speed is normal; there is No undercolocking nor no overclocking. Why do you think your GPU fan is not automatically control? Do you find the fan speed is almost the constant all of the time that lead you suspect not very automatic?

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
He's saying "would it be beneficial to underclock the video card" since its mainly used in 2D Mode as of late.

As to the fan question, well its setup that @ a certain temperature it increases the fan speed. But you do have a GT, i think most people were increasing it to 50-60% for 3D due to a bios glitch

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
If you want to make an 8800GT last longer, I would invest in a better heatsink and fan. You can pick up one very cheap that would be an improvement over the stock one. The GT has a terrible stock heatsink. You can spend 20-35 dollars on a quality heatsink that will drop temps and prolong the life. Even with the crappy stock fan it will likely outlast the life of the technology.

tokyotech

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
I see that the fan is at 29% when it's 55 celcius to 58 celcius. Does it have to be some super high temperature before the speed goes up?

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
I finally got what is asking. It is certain that to reduce the frequency of GPU and memory can reduce the temperature but what I could claim no great benefit. The most effective way to reduce the temperature is reduce the applied voltage to lower limit for example reduce the Vcore from 1.38VDC to 1.26VDC will see great reduction on temperature, or just add a good design heatsink with good quality cooling fan.

For Nvidia GPU within 60 Degree is quite normal so the cooling fan won't speed up at 55 Degree. You can set lower temperature limit once you really change the cooling.

e36_Jeff

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I underclock my Gfx cards when I dont need the extra hp, bu I do it more out of a need for the PC to put out less heat, my room is a little on the small side, and the PC at full tilt heats it up pretty quick. in theory you should be able to extend the life of the components by lowering the temperatures, but odds are that the card will be made obsolete long before it wears out, so if the life of the components is your only concern, I wouldn't bother.

That temp and fan speed for only 2D applications is fine, the only problems you'll encounter is when you do get into any type 3D required apps, then as the temp increases
the autofan features kicks the fan speed up to a higher percentage, to bring the temp down.

Addressing your question the underclocking may not change your present temp at all, you could go to manual fan control and let the fan run at about 60% at all times
which will bring your temps down quite a bit, increase the sound level of the fan and essentially shorten the life of the fan, save those setting as a profile and have Ntune load those settings with Windows boot.

Or go to an after market cooler as previously mentioned, but I wouldn't go the underclocking route, just manually increase the fan speed, the stock fans life will probably far exceed the the technological usefullness of the card in todays times anyway.

tokyotech

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
I also have trouble loading nTune profiles. When I use profile > load > then choose a profile, it say's "There has been a problem loading .......nsu".