New Build - Looking for some feedback/advice

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a little help and advice on a new system build for use primarily for gaming.

I build my last PC and it's done me proud over the last 4+ years, but it's starting to show it's age. I'm not one for upgrading systems (or overclocking them for that matter) - I'd much rather build one then run it into the ground.

The only thing I really don't like about my current system is the noise level - I didn't consider that when picking parts last time and it sounds like a 747 taking off!

So here's the list of components I'm considering:

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4GHz, LGA775, quad core

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R P35

RAM
G.SKILL 4GB kit DDR2-800 PC6400 CL5-5-5-15 MEMORY 2GB x 2

Graphics
Gigabyte NVidia 8800GTS G92 512MB PCI-E x16 HDCP

Hard Drive
Western Digital 320GB Serial ATA HDD

Case
Antec Nine Hundred
(Couldn't find this one on newegg)

PSU
Seasonic S12 ENERGY PLUS SS-550HT 550WATT POWER SUPPLY

DVD-RW
LiteOn LH-20A1S 20X sata DVDRW

Monitor
Viewsonic VA2226W 22" LCD, 1680x1050 5MS DVI

OS
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit OEM

I'm in New Zealand, so the supply of parts is kinda limited to what I can find on www.pricespy.co.nz - no newegg here, but that seemed the best way to link to the parts I'm looking at.

All up, it should cost about NZ$2300 (about US$1800) so any recommendations that'll help reduce the cost (or noise level), and help me avoid any unpleasant gotchas would be most welcome. If I could get the price below NZ$1800 the wife will love me forever :D

Any help is greatly appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about build feedback advice
  1. You can get a insulating case, but the problem is that cases which seal in noise tend to also seal in heat. It might be more useful to decrease fan speed in bios control, thus lowering noise. That way, you can always tune it back up and put up with the noise if the machine get too hot. If you get a toasty case with bad airflow and it gets hot, that's it.

To keep noise low while cool, use large (120mm) fans on case and heatsinks. They move more air at lower rpm. Fast spinning fans are noisy.

There's a cheaper version of g92 8800gt, factory overclocked and comes with a free game.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127325

Ram is good, but could be better. Tighter timing and and more overclockable, at around the same price.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144216
  2. dagger said:

Ram is good, but could be better. Tighter timing and and more overclockable, at around the same price.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144216

Thanks for the help dagger, I'll have another look at the case. Unfortunately I can only get 512MB GeIL RAM in NZ - any other brands that might do the trick. TBH, I'm not 100% clear on how the timing works.
  3. bomber72 said:
    Thanks for the help dagger, I'll have another look at the case. Unfortunately I can only get 512MB GeIL RAM in NZ - any other brands that might do the trick. TBH, I'm not 100% clear on how the timing works.

Tighting timing = more performance. You want those numbers to be low, and bus speed to be high.

If you can't find better choices, don't worry about it. Ram speed isn't very noticable under realistic conditions anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product