I Lied

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 3, 2005 10:12:41 PM

I bought it. Yesterday.

It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.

How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?

So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

More about : lied

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 10:12:42 PM

">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> I bought it. Yesterday.
>
> It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.
>
> How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?
>
> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
> Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
> out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............

Actually you might like the single player campaign to brush up your skills.
There is a required patch to play online though. And yes, they released a
previous on-line-only game that could not play online until it was
patched... Oops!

Quixote
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 11:23:44 PM

On 3 Apr 2005 18:12:41 GMT, >^,,^< wrote:

> I bought it. Yesterday.

Is it contagious?

> It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.
>
> How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?

That depends on which version of Tribes it is.

> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
> Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
> out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............

Are you in need of a doorstop? What about one half of a set of bookends?
You might also use the CD alone as a bookmark thing.

There's always paperweights as well.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

Mr K wrote:
> On 3 Apr 2005 18:12:41 GMT, >^,,^< wrote:
>
>> I bought it. Yesterday.
>
> Is it contagious?
>
>> It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.
>>
>> How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?
>
> That depends on which version of Tribes it is.
>
>> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
>> Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
>> out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............
>
> Are you in need of a doorstop? What about one half of a set of
> bookends? You might also use the CD alone as a bookmark thing.
>
> There's always paperweights as well.

The box looks cool..........fill it with sand for the doorstop?

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

April 3, 2005 11:59:52 PM

On 3 Apr 2005 18:46:14 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:

> The box looks cool..........fill it with sand for the doorstop?

If the manual's not heavy enough, you'll have to fill the box with sand.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
April 4, 2005 1:04:42 AM

On 3 Apr 2005 18:12:41 GMT, ">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote:

> I bought it. Yesterday.
>
> It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.
>
> How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?
>
> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
>Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
>out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............

For what it's worth, I've read that it is a decent single player game.

I've done the sniper droid demo and had fun with it. But then, I've
done the online demo and found it to be clunky, slow, and not very
"Tribesy" at all.

Install it and see how the single player game is. If you give it even
a half-hearted endorsement, I'll have to get it meself.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
April 4, 2005 2:32:32 AM

> Actually you might like the single player campaign to brush up your
> skills. There is a required patch to play online though. And yes,
> they released a previous on-line-only game that could not play online
> until it was patched... Oops!
>
> Quixote

That's a great idea, Q. Goodness knows I'm rustier than the Titanic.....

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

April 4, 2005 10:39:10 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> For what it's worth, I've read that it is a decent single player game.
>
> I've done the sniper droid demo and had fun with it. But then, I've
> done the online demo and found it to be clunky, slow, and not very
> "Tribesy" at all.
>
> Install it and see how the single player game is. If you give it even
> a half-hearted endorsement, I'll have to get it meself.

Okay, hubby teaches tomorrow night, so I'll try it out then.

(Uh-oh, does it auto-update, or do I need to hunt down that
lone patch?)

*GLENN!!!* *HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!*

:D

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

April 6, 2005 12:27:57 AM

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4250e10e$1_7
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> (Uh-oh, does it auto-update, or do I need to hunt down that
> lone patch?)

http://tribesvengeance.com/us/downloads.html

Look for "Update".

Then jump on the Vengeance channel in MA's TeamSpeak and see if anyone's
playing:

http://matureasskickers.net/m/servers/teamspeak.php

Fafhrd's got some nifty rover maps where he's populated the map with lots
of rovers. Lots of silliness ensues. I was gonna post a link to a
screenshot but he posted it in the private section of the forums. :/
April 6, 2005 11:51:23 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4250e10e$1_7
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> (Uh-oh, does it auto-update, or do I need to hunt down that
>> lone patch?)
>
> http://tribesvengeance.com/us/downloads.html
>
> Look for "Update".
>
> Then jump on the Vengeance channel in MA's TeamSpeak and see if
> anyone's playing:
>
> http://matureasskickers.net/m/servers/teamspeak.php
>
> Fafhrd's got some nifty rover maps where he's populated the map with
> lots of rovers. Lots of silliness ensues. I was gonna post a link to a
> screenshot but he posted it in the private section of the forums. :/

Thanks muchly! Like I said, it'll be next week- we jumped on that
mess in the office today. Wowza.
BUT, I did make sure that T1 & T2 are still functioning properly
on my desktop. Since I've got a dial-up backup for this laptop, I can
put the info into the desktop and play like I used to, before getting the
f00king satellite.
I won't be able to tie up either of the phone lines during the day,
but I can try the DSL wireless on this with T1 when I install it.
I found my diskettes and CD with all my Tribes goodies on them,
like the patch to get T1 up to version 1.11, or whatever it is. (My
CD is version 8.something)
God bless IcyHot for being such a dear friend, or I'd be bugging
the hell out of you guys next week! LOL

Gosh, I better find my headset with the microphone.........

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

April 19, 2005 12:11:36 AM

But Tribes is a free download aint it ?

cub
">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> I bought it. Yesterday.
>
> It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.
>
> How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?
>
> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
> Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
> out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............
>
> --
>> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

> <><><><><><><><>

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:11:37 AM

> ">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> I bought it. Yesterday.
>>
>> It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.
>>
>> How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?
>>
>> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
>> Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
>> out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............

(top posting fixed)
"Cubzilla" <no@chance.co.uk> wrote in message
> But Tribes is a free download aint it ?

Focus on the phrase "So now I've got T:V,"

Quixote
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 2:40:54 AM

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message
>> ">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>>> I bought it. Yesterday.
>>>
>>> It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.
>>>
>>> How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?
>>>
>>> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
>>> Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
>>> out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............
>>>
> (top posting fixed)
> "Cubzilla" <no@chance.co.uk> wrote in message
>> But Tribes is a free download aint it ?
>>

> Focus on the phrase "So now I've got T:V,"
>
> Quixote

I read that as he has T.V, but purchased Tribes (1or 2) for $20

>>How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?

Here he wonders what to do with his copy of T.V

> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?

So 8P

Cub
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:02:51 AM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:40:54 +0100, Cubzilla wrote:

> I read that as he has T.V, but purchased Tribes (1or 2) for $20

/me puts on his "I'm sorry to hear that" face.

> Here he wonders what to do with his copy of T.V

He could always nail it on the wall next to the AOL CD's.

> So 8P

That's expensive.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
April 19, 2005 11:08:22 AM

Cubzilla wrote:
> Sorry Miracle I've done it again :-(
>

> Love
>
> Cub

ROFL You know what Cubby? It's really okay! I love that
I've been around so long that some of you guys forget I'm a chick.
Adrian's done the same, I believe, so you're not alone at any rate.

Your apology is totally accepted! By the way, I've always loved
your posting nick. How does "Bitchzilla" sound? Too coarse? I've
been wanting a new Tribes player name, with "-zilla" on the end.

Here's why- a dear friend who died just a few years ago was
a paraplegic, and he was in the process of creating a line of gear
for folks who are wheelchair-bound. The brand name for the wheel-
chair accessories is "Wheelzilla". http://www.wheelzilla.com/

So you see why I'm fond of the "-zilla" part. :)  Help me figure
out my own "zilla" nick, would you? Grannyzilla? Ew, no, not that.....

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

April 19, 2005 11:13:36 AM

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4264ae66$1_3
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> So you see why I'm fond of the "-zilla" part. :)  Help me figure
> out my own "zilla" nick, would you? Grannyzilla? Ew, no, not that.....

So will you be baking 'zilla wafers? :D
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 10:09:44 PM

>^,,^< Miracle wrote:
> ROFL You know what Cubby? It's really okay! I love that
> I've been around so long that some of you guys forget I'm a chick.
> Adrian's done the same, I believe, so you're not alone at any rate.

Adrian's a chick?

Dude.
--
Frank
Obtuse, today.

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4264ae66$1_3
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> So you see why I'm fond of the "-zilla" part. :)  Help me
>> figure out my own "zilla" nick, would you? Grannyzilla? Ew, no, not
>> that.....
>
> So will you be baking 'zilla wafers? :D

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...............................

LOL

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

April 20, 2005 10:46:05 AM

--
Frank
Obtuse, today

'S okay. You're entitled, due to your job description.
(It *must* be stress- idiocy isn't contagious.)

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

April 20, 2005 3:27:02 PM

>^,,^< Miracle wrote:
> 'S okay. You're entitled, due to your job description.
> (It *must* be stress- idiocy isn't contagious.)

Sarcasm and deliberate stupidity are what I live on.

I shall not be denied!

Stress? School causes stress. First time ever, too. Large workload nowadays.
--
Frank
April 21, 2005 11:20:47 AM

On 21 Apr 2005 06:39:38 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>(Sorry for not snipping, but this is cool stuff!)

Allow me! [Snip!]

> So I suppose the whole world is doing its own thing as far as
>schooling goes! And I quit in grade 10, as I already knew everything.
> :D
> Yes, I really did quit, but later took the test to get my equivalency.
>I find it amusing that I now teach kids who are high schol graduates
>who can't read or write. Hmmm, not amusing exactly.....more along
>the lines of totally disgusted. I mean, I even understand algebra, but
>these kids can't divide 2 into 4 and get a correct answer.

Same here, Miracle. And I'm staggered to see how many degree holders
are dumb as bricks in any given field. But, like Frank Sinatra, I was
determined to do it My Way. So I dropped. But by no means discontinued
my education.

> Which brings me to another point- almost every person I correspond
>with online is a foreigner- someone who was born and lives outside
>the U.S. Why? Because their grammer, spelling, and puctuation are
>decent. Even if it's in another language. And they can think without
>AOL telling them what they know.
> The other folks I tappity-tap with are well-educated, like Troy and
>Bryan. And oddly, I only communicate with 3 women online- but
>all three share common interests and type properly.
> I'm not a snob by any means- I don't care what folks look like
>one bit, or how they dress, etc.. But I suppose I have a distaste for
>folks who can't flip to "adult" when they're online. I love being an ass
>in here at times- it's so totally me! Good fun and silliness are a huge
>part of my Usenet activities, but sometimes I want to talk like an adult.

I loath net-speak. English, even though an aggregate language cobbled
from various sources, has conventions for correct grammar, punctuation
and syntax.

u no wut im talkin bout???????????

I'll drop an emoticon or two, but I refuse to abbreviate a 3-letter
word like "you". :)  Oh, the strain of having to manipulate a shift
key! The rigors of hitting "y" and "o"! Woe to the worlds youth!

> Oops. Oh well, we'll just call the above "Chapter Two" of the book
>I seem to be writing online..........

No one's complaining. Partly because it's not dull as of yet. And
we're afraid of invoking thy wrath. :)

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

>^,,^< Miracle wrote:
> (Sorry for not snipping, but this is cool stuff!)

I'm snipping.
> Wow, that's a very different system indeed- so many different
> types of schools.

Yup. And, obviously, there are ways of shifting upwards as well. After
the CITO exam (which limits where you can go) if you're assigned to
MAVO, you could continue to MBO, and from there move up to HBO, and once
you've got your first year of that you can start a university Bachelors
program, or you can finish your Bachelors and do the Masters at a uni.

All very interesting, though fortunately behind me. Of course, I went
straight to the VWO (which is, by the way, further subdivided into
Atheneum and Gymnasium, the latter including ancient Greek and Latin)

> Of course, some things are different here as you
> go from state to state. In Georgia we went by a 4 quarter system,
> which were school periods of nine weeks. Out here in Arizona they
> use a 3 semester system, which is 16 weeks each. Go figure.

My school periods are officially semesters, but in reality quarters of
10 weeks each, of which 7-8 are for working and the rest for exams and
project assessments.

> In Georgia, grades 7-9 are junior high school, while here they
> are "middle" schools. And in some other states, high school includes
> grade 9.
>
> So I suppose the whole world is doing its own thing as far as
> schooling goes! And I quit in grade 10, as I already knew everything.
> :D
> Yes, I really did quit, but later took the test to get my equivalency.

That's good.

> I find it amusing that I now teach kids who are high schol graduates
> who can't read or write. Hmmm, not amusing exactly.....more along
> the lines of totally disgusted. I mean, I even understand algebra, but
> these kids can't divide 2 into 4 and get a correct answer.

At the HBO, in higher education, someone had to divide 15 by 4.
Obviously, this gives a fraction, and one way to calculate it would be
to divide 16 by 4 (=4) and subtract 1/4, giving 3 and 3/4.

A student actually managed to write down: I cannot calculate this, as I
am not allowed to use a calculator.

The teacher is rather sarcastic in general, but was downright venomous
talking about this.

Oh, speaking of venomous teachers:
http://www.nebulous.nl/misc/Berkeley_Laptop_Thief.mp4

(and while I'm pimping video's, two important ones:
http://www.nebulous.nl/misc/Torn.wmv
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/pokerroom1.html

Both funny, non-disgusting)

> Which brings me to another point- almost every person I correspond
> with online is a foreigner- someone who was born and lives outside
> the U.S. Why? Because their grammer, spelling, and puctuation are
> decent. Even if it's in another language. And they can think without
> AOL telling them what they know.

I always enjoy correcting people's spelling, with them then saying

> The other folks I tappity-tap with are well-educated, like Troy and
> Bryan. And oddly, I only communicate with 3 women online- but
> all three share common interests and type properly.
> I'm not a snob by any means- I don't care what folks look like
> one bit, or how they dress, etc.. But I suppose I have a distaste for
> folks who can't flip to "adult" when they're online. I love being an ass
> in here at times- it's so totally me! Good fun and silliness are a huge
> part of my Usenet activities, but sometimes I want to talk like an adult.

I like form. People say that it's the content that matters, but that's
bullshit. If your goal is to communicate, then you want to be sure
people understand you, and the way you do that is through proper
spelling and the Bad Boys of Punctuation).

> Oops. Oh well, we'll just call the above "Chapter Two" of the book
> I seem to be writing online..........

Say, there's a thought.
--
Frank
April 22, 2005 10:39:12 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> On 21 Apr 2005 06:39:38 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
> wrote:
>
>> (Sorry for not snipping, but this is cool stuff!)
>
> Allow me! [Snip!]

Okay! :D

> Same here, Miracle. And I'm staggered to see how many degree holders
> are dumb as bricks in any given field. But, like Frank Sinatra, I was
> determined to do it My Way. So I dropped. But by no means discontinued
> my education.

Exactly. But we're both avid readers, aren't we? We didn't have
video games, computers, or cell phones to amuse ourselves with,
so we read books. And magazines, and newspapers.........

> I loath net-speak. English, even though an aggregate language cobbled
> from various sources, has conventions for correct grammar, punctuation
> and syntax.
>
> u no wut im talkin bout???????????

Preachin' to the choir, bro! But I do so love the mangled
"133t sp34K" we use to poke fun at trolls. :D

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

April 22, 2005 9:44:48 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:29:02 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:

> As well you should. The first mime ever who is actually funny.

I take it you're not including the early silent comedians in that one?

.... or even "Harpo Marx".

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
April 22, 2005 9:44:49 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:44:48 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:29:02 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:
>
>> As well you should. The first mime ever who is actually funny.
>
>I take it you're not including the early silent comedians in that one?
>
>... or even "Harpo Marx".

Harpo! The Marx brothers! A Night at the Opera! Hilarious stuff.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:35:28 -0500, Smeghead wrote:

> Harpo! The Marx brothers! A Night at the Opera! Hilarious stuff.

Oh yes. :)

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 3:40:14 AM

Mr K wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:29:02 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:
>

>>As well you should. The first mime ever who is actually funny.
>
> I take it you're not including the early silent comedians in that one?
>
> ... or even "Harpo Marx".

Let me qualify that by changing that sentence to:
"The first mime I've ever seen who is actually funny."

All the rest should be bludgeoned to near death, and then shot in the
kneecaps.

Which, of course, makes for approximately two discomfited no-talent ass
clowns, since mimes aren't so common around these parts.

--
Frank
Anonymous

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:40:14 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:

> Let me qualify that by changing that sentence to:
> "The first mime I've ever seen who is actually funny."

Ah. :)

> All the rest should be bludgeoned to near death, and then shot in the
> kneecaps.

Good call.

.... although it'd be a shame to waste the ammunition.

> Which, of course, makes for approximately two discomfited no-talent ass
> clowns, since mimes aren't so common around these parts.

I've always wondered how they'd react to an actual eyepoke.

--

<frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:

>Mr K wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:29:02 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:
>>

>>>As well you should. The first mime ever who is actually funny.
>>
>> I take it you're not including the early silent comedians in that one?
>>
>> ... or even "Harpo Marx".
>
>Let me qualify that by changing that sentence to:
>"The first mime I've ever seen who is actually funny."
>
>All the rest should be bludgeoned to near death, and then shot in the
>kneecaps.
>
>Which, of course, makes for approximately two discomfited no-talent ass
>clowns, since mimes aren't so common around these parts.

Mimes and their inbred cousins circus clowns are seriously -not- funny
in my estimation. Even as a kid I took no joy in clowns.

I remember my family watching prime-time mime team Shields and Yarnell
back in the late 70's. Even at about 12 years old, I had contempt for
the entertainment "stylings" of this dismal duo.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

Mr K's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:40:14 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:
>> Let me qualify that by changing that sentence to:
>> "The first mime I've ever seen who is actually funny."
> Ah. :)
>> All the rest should be bludgeoned to near death, and then shot in the
>> kneecaps.
> Good call.
> ... although it'd be a shame to waste the ammunition.

Steal the money from their hat they have for letting people pay them to
stop.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 6:21:38 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> Mimes and their inbred cousins circus clowns are seriously -not- funny
> in my estimation. Even as a kid I took no joy in clowns.

As Terry Pratchett puts it so wonderfully in _Men At Arms_:
"People laughed at clowns, but only out of nervousness. The point of
clowns was that, after watching them, anything else that happened seemed
enjoyable."

Excellent book, and here's more quotes:
http://ozdw.homes.com.au/DiscQuotes/MaA.htm

> I remember my family watching prime-time mime team Shields and Yarnell
> back in the late 70's. Even at about 12 years old, I had contempt for
> the entertainment "stylings" of this dismal duo.

Actually, either Penn or Teller is a mime. Mimes can be funny (as
displayed in the Torn video), but not in their stereotypical routines.
April 23, 2005 6:21:39 AM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 02:21:38 +0200, Frank van Schie
<frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> Mimes and their inbred cousins circus clowns are seriously -not- funny
>> in my estimation. Even as a kid I took no joy in clowns.
>
>As Terry Pratchett puts it so wonderfully in _Men At Arms_:
>"People laughed at clowns, but only out of nervousness. The point of
>clowns was that, after watching them, anything else that happened seemed
>enjoyable."
>
>Excellent book, and here's more quotes:
>http://ozdw.homes.com.au/DiscQuotes/MaA.htm
>
>> I remember my family watching prime-time mime team Shields and Yarnell
>> back in the late 70's. Even at about 12 years old, I had contempt for
>> the entertainment "stylings" of this dismal duo.
>
>Actually, either Penn or Teller is a mime. Mimes can be funny (as
>displayed in the Torn video), but not in their stereotypical routines.

The stereotypical mime is the loathsome ilk of which I focus my
contempt. Physical humor is great. As Mr. 15K pointed out, Harpo Marx
is a great exception to the "mime" rule.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4269f121$1_3
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

>> Well then:
>> http://www.boingboing.net/2005/04/20/berkeley_laptop_th...
>

> Ah, now *this* is good stuff! :D
>
> /me wonders if I sound that dull when lecturing........

I'm betting he was grandstanding for his clients, since it's possible the
laptop was stolen by some biotech industrial espionage types (or by a
student hired by same). Can you imagine someone leaving millions of dollars
of sensitive data where someone can easily steal it? (Alas, I can, all too
easily.)
April 23, 2005 11:01:40 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:40:14 +0200, Frank van Schie
> <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:
>
>> Mr K wrote:

>>> I take it you're not including the early silent comedians in that
>>> one?
>>>
>>> ... or even "Harpo Marx".
>>
>> Let me qualify that by changing that sentence to:
>> "The first mime I've ever seen who is actually funny."
>>
>> All the rest should be bludgeoned to near death, and then shot in the
>> kneecaps.
>>
>> Which, of course, makes for approximately two discomfited no-talent
>> ass clowns, since mimes aren't so common around these parts.
>
> Mimes and their inbred cousins circus clowns are seriously -not- funny
> in my estimation. Even as a kid I took no joy in clowns.
>
> I remember my family watching prime-time mime team Shields and Yarnell
> back in the late 70's. Even at about 12 years old, I had contempt for
> the entertainment "stylings" of this dismal duo.

I go back to Charlie Chaplin's antics, and I couldn't stand him
even as a small child. Ditto Shields & Yarnell.
But you know, there was one group that was so innovative, I
would sit mesmerized and watch them. They had an odd name which
I'll attempt to type: Mummenschantz. (I have no idea if thats right.)

I understand that The Blue Group is also *beyond* mime, that
folks pay huge money in Vegas to see them. I won't, but I would
try to watch them on TV to see if they're as good as Mummenschantz
was.

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

April 23, 2005 11:01:41 AM

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4269f2d4$1_5
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> I understand that The Blue Group is also *beyond* mime, that
> folks pay huge money in Vegas to see them. I won't, but I would
> try to watch them on TV to see if they're as good as Mummenschantz
> was.

Haven't seen Mummenschantz, but I've seen the Blue Man Group on TV and
they're fun to watch. Kind of like Salvadore Dali in motion and
technicolor.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 1:50:04 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:57:30 -0500, Smeghead wrote:

> The stereotypical mime is the loathsome ilk of which I focus my
> contempt. Physical humor is great. As Mr. 15K pointed out, Harpo Marx
> is a great exception to the "mime" rule.

.... and that only came about because he was funnier doing the silent
routines...:
+----[ http://www.marx-brothers.org/living/harpo.htm ]
| Adolph Marx performed beautiful pantomime which was ruined whenever he
| spoke." Harpo then decided he could do a better job of stealing focus by
| not speaking
+----

And, just for the hell of it, have some colour footage of them
rehearsing...:
http://www.marx-brothers.org/mov4_Animal_Crackers.html

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
April 24, 2005 11:26:48 PM

On 23 Apr 2005 07:01:40 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

[clip]

>> Mimes and their inbred cousins circus clowns are seriously -not- funny
>> in my estimation. Even as a kid I took no joy in clowns.
>>
>> I remember my family watching prime-time mime team Shields and Yarnell
>> back in the late 70's. Even at about 12 years old, I had contempt for
>> the entertainment "stylings" of this dismal duo.
>

> I go back to Charlie Chaplin's antics, and I couldn't stand him
>even as a small child. Ditto Shields & Yarnell.
> But you know, there was one group that was so innovative, I
>would sit mesmerized and watch them. They had an odd name which
>I'll attempt to type: Mummenschantz. (I have no idea if thats right.)
>
> I understand that The Blue Group is also *beyond* mime, that
>folks pay huge money in Vegas to see them. I won't, but I would
>try to watch them on TV to see if they're as good as Mummenschantz
>was.

I remember them! http://www.mummenschanz.com/split_e.html

Yeah, as far as silent performance art goes, it's pretty entertaining
stuff.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
April 25, 2005 12:14:05 AM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 05:44:17 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4269f2d4$1_5
>@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> I understand that The Blue Group is also *beyond* mime, that
>> folks pay huge money in Vegas to see them. I won't, but I would
>> try to watch them on TV to see if they're as good as Mummenschantz
>> was.
>
>Haven't seen Mummenschantz, but I've seen the Blue Man Group on TV and
>they're fun to watch. Kind of like Salvadore Dali in motion and
>technicolor.

I've only seen them on the Intel commercials. I'd like to get a
viewing of them in a non-commercial setting.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
April 26, 2005 12:40:53 PM

Smeghead wrote:
> On 23 Apr 2005 07:02:44 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" wrote:
>> I really like the way your mind works! :D
>
> I don't know whether to be flattered or frightened by that compliment.

Definitely flattered, then frightened. :D

--
>^,,^< Miracle

April 26, 2005 12:40:54 PM

On 26 Apr 2005 08:40:53 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> On 23 Apr 2005 07:02:44 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" wrote:
>>> I really like the way your mind works! :D
>>
>> I don't know whether to be flattered or frightened by that compliment.
>

> Definitely flattered, then frightened. :D

Too true.

You should see what forms of public punishment / death I have in mind
for guys like the dude in Florida who rapes and murders little
girls...

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
April 27, 2005 1:07:24 PM

Smeghead wrote:
> On 26 Apr 2005 08:40:53 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Smeghead wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know whether to be flattered or frightened by that
>>> compliment.
>>

>> Definitely flattered, then frightened. :D
>
> Too true.
>
> You should see what forms of public punishment / death I have in mind
> for guys like the dude in Florida who rapes and murders little
> girls...

I hear that!!!! Death would be no punishment in my opinion,
unless it was I who got to do it. Long and slow......in public.

I just don't know why "we" keep letting them out of jail. But
that's a rant for another time. I'll add that there's a Level 3 who
is moving to my neighborhood in May, and all I can think about
is how many children now live in this area. :(

--
>^,,^< Miracle

April 27, 2005 1:07:25 PM

On 27 Apr 2005 09:07:24 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> On 26 Apr 2005 08:40:53 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Definitely flattered, then frightened. :D
>>
>> Too true.
>>
>> You should see what forms of public punishment / death I have in mind
>> for guys like the dude in Florida who rapes and murders little
>> girls...
>

> I hear that!!!! Death would be no punishment in my opinion,
>unless it was I who got to do it. Long and slow......in public.
>
> I just don't know why "we" keep letting them out of jail. But
>that's a rant for another time. I'll add that there's a Level 3 who
>is moving to my neighborhood in May, and all I can think about
>is how many children now live in this area. :(

I'm totally for castration and death. Not necessarily in that order,
either.

The American prison system is not designed for rehabilitation of the
problem these people have. So they get out and are still predators.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
!