user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I bought it. Yesterday.

It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.

How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?

So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............

--

">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> I bought it. Yesterday.
>
> It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.
>
> How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?
>
> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
> Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
> out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............

Actually you might like the single player campaign to brush up your skills.
There is a required patch to play online though. And yes, they released a
previous on-line-only game that could not play online until it was
patched... Oops!

Quixote

On 3 Apr 2005 18:12:41 GMT, >^,,^< wrote:

> I bought it. Yesterday.

Is it contagious?

> It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.
>
> How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?

That depends on which version of Tribes it is.

> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
> Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
> out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............

Are you in need of a doorstop? What about one half of a set of bookends?
You might also use the CD alone as a bookmark thing.

There's always paperweights as well.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Mr K wrote:
> On 3 Apr 2005 18:12:41 GMT, >^,,^< wrote:
>
>> I bought it. Yesterday.
>
> Is it contagious?
>
>> It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.
>>
>> How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?
>
> That depends on which version of Tribes it is.
>
>> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
>> Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
>> out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............
>
> Are you in need of a doorstop? What about one half of a set of
> bookends? You might also use the CD alone as a bookmark thing.
>
> There's always paperweights as well.

The box looks cool..........fill it with sand for the doorstop?

--

On 3 Apr 2005 18:46:14 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:

> The box looks cool..........fill it with sand for the doorstop?

If the manual's not heavy enough, you'll have to fill the box with sand.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 3 Apr 2005 18:12:41 GMT, ">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote:

> I bought it. Yesterday.
>
> It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.
>
> How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?
>
> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
>Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
>out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............

For what it's worth, I've read that it is a decent single player game.

I've done the sniper droid demo and had fun with it. But then, I've
done the online demo and found it to be clunky, slow, and not very
"Tribesy" at all.

Install it and see how the single player game is. If you give it even
a half-hearted endorsement, I'll have to get it meself.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

> Actually you might like the single player campaign to brush up your
> skills. There is a required patch to play online though. And yes,
> they released a previous on-line-only game that could not play online
> until it was patched... Oops!
>
> Quixote

That's a great idea, Q. Goodness knows I'm rustier than the Titanic.....

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote:
> For what it's worth, I've read that it is a decent single player game.
>
> I've done the sniper droid demo and had fun with it. But then, I've
> done the online demo and found it to be clunky, slow, and not very
> "Tribesy" at all.
>
> Install it and see how the single player game is. If you give it even
> a half-hearted endorsement, I'll have to get it meself.

Okay, hubby teaches tomorrow night, so I'll try it out then.

(Uh-oh, does it auto-update, or do I need to hunt down that
lone patch?)

*GLENN!!!* *HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!*

:D

--

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4250e10e$1_7
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> (Uh-oh, does it auto-update, or do I need to hunt down that
> lone patch?)

http://tribesvengeance.com/us/downloads.html

Look for "Update".

Then jump on the Vengeance channel in MA's TeamSpeak and see if anyone's
playing:

http://matureasskickers.net/m/servers/teamspeak.php

Fafhrd's got some nifty rover maps where he's populated the map with lots
of rovers. Lots of silliness ensues. I was gonna post a link to a
screenshot but he posted it in the private section of the forums. :/

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4250e10e$1_7
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> (Uh-oh, does it auto-update, or do I need to hunt down that
>> lone patch?)
>
> http://tribesvengeance.com/us/downloads.html
>
> Look for "Update".
>
> Then jump on the Vengeance channel in MA's TeamSpeak and see if
> anyone's playing:
>
> http://matureasskickers.net/m/servers/teamspeak.php
>
> Fafhrd's got some nifty rover maps where he's populated the map with
> lots of rovers. Lots of silliness ensues. I was gonna post a link to a
> screenshot but he posted it in the private section of the forums. :/

Thanks muchly! Like I said, it'll be next week- we jumped on that
mess in the office today. Wowza.
BUT, I did make sure that T1 & T2 are still functioning properly
on my desktop. Since I've got a dial-up backup for this laptop, I can
put the info into the desktop and play like I used to, before getting the
f00king satellite.
I won't be able to tie up either of the phone lines during the day,
but I can try the DSL wireless on this with T1 when I install it.
I found my diskettes and CD with all my Tribes goodies on them,
like the patch to get T1 up to version 1.11, or whatever it is. (My
CD is version 8.something)
God bless IcyHot for being such a dear friend, or I'd be bugging
the hell out of you guys next week! LOL

Gosh, I better find my headset with the microphone.........

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

But Tribes is a free download aint it ?

cub
">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> I bought it. Yesterday.
>
> It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.
>
> How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?
>
> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
> Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
> out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............
>
> --
>> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

> <><><><><><><><>

> ">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> I bought it. Yesterday.
>>
>> It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.
>>
>> How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?
>>
>> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
>> Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
>> out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............

(top posting fixed)
"Cubzilla" <no@chance.co.uk> wrote in message
> But Tribes is a free download aint it ?

Focus on the phrase "So now I've got T:V,"

Quixote

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message
>> ">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>>> I bought it. Yesterday.
>>>
>>> It was only $19.99 at Best Buy.
>>>
>>> How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?
>>>
>>> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?
>>> Save it as a collectible item? Install it just to check
>>> out the cool scenery? Hmmmmm..............
>>>
> (top posting fixed)
> "Cubzilla" <no@chance.co.uk> wrote in message
>> But Tribes is a free download aint it ?
>>

> Focus on the phrase "So now I've got T:V,"
>
> Quixote

I read that as he has T.V, but purchased Tribes (1or 2) for $20

>>How on earth could I refuse Tribes for $20?

Here he wonders what to do with his copy of T.V

> So now I've got T:V, but what to do with it?

So 8P

Cub

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:40:54 +0100, Cubzilla wrote:

> I read that as he has T.V, but purchased Tribes (1or 2) for $20

/me puts on his "I'm sorry to hear that" face.

> Here he wonders what to do with his copy of T.V

He could always nail it on the wall next to the AOL CD's.

> So 8P

That's expensive.

--

Cubzilla wrote:
> Sorry Miracle I've done it again :-(
>

> Love
>
> Cub

ROFL You know what Cubby? It's really okay! I love that
I've been around so long that some of you guys forget I'm a chick.
Adrian's done the same, I believe, so you're not alone at any rate.

Your apology is totally accepted! By the way, I've always loved
your posting nick. How does "Bitchzilla" sound? Too coarse? I've
been wanting a new Tribes player name, with "-zilla" on the end.

Here's why- a dear friend who died just a few years ago was
a paraplegic, and he was in the process of creating a line of gear
for folks who are wheelchair-bound. The brand name for the wheel-
chair accessories is "Wheelzilla". http://www.wheelzilla.com/

So you see why I'm fond of the "-zilla" part. :) Help me figure
out my own "zilla" nick, would you? Grannyzilla? Ew, no, not that.....

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4264ae66$1_3
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> So you see why I'm fond of the "-zilla" part. :) Help me figure
> out my own "zilla" nick, would you? Grannyzilla? Ew, no, not that.....

So will you be baking 'zilla wafers? :D

>^,,^< Miracle wrote:
> ROFL You know what Cubby? It's really okay! I love that
> I've been around so long that some of you guys forget I'm a chick.
> Adrian's done the same, I believe, so you're not alone at any rate.

Adrian's a chick?

Dude.
--
Frank
Obtuse, today.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4264ae66$1_3
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> So you see why I'm fond of the "-zilla" part. :) Help me
>> figure out my own "zilla" nick, would you? Grannyzilla? Ew, no, not
>> that.....
>
> So will you be baking 'zilla wafers? :D

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...............................

LOL

--

--
Frank
Obtuse, today

'S okay. You're entitled, due to your job description.
(It *must* be stress- idiocy isn't contagious.)

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

>^,,^< Miracle wrote:
> 'S okay. You're entitled, due to your job description.
> (It *must* be stress- idiocy isn't contagious.)

Sarcasm and deliberate stupidity are what I live on.

I shall not be denied!

Stress? School causes stress. First time ever, too. Large workload nowadays.
--
Frank

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 21 Apr 2005 06:39:38 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>(Sorry for not snipping, but this is cool stuff!)

Allow me! [Snip!]

> So I suppose the whole world is doing its own thing as far as
>schooling goes! And I quit in grade 10, as I already knew everything.
> :D
> Yes, I really did quit, but later took the test to get my equivalency.
>I find it amusing that I now teach kids who are high schol graduates
>who can't read or write. Hmmm, not amusing exactly.....more along
>the lines of totally disgusted. I mean, I even understand algebra, but
>these kids can't divide 2 into 4 and get a correct answer.

Same here, Miracle. And I'm staggered to see how many degree holders
are dumb as bricks in any given field. But, like Frank Sinatra, I was
determined to do it My Way. So I dropped. But by no means discontinued
my education.

> Which brings me to another point- almost every person I correspond
>with online is a foreigner- someone who was born and lives outside
>the U.S. Why? Because their grammer, spelling, and puctuation are
>decent. Even if it's in another language. And they can think without
>AOL telling them what they know.
> The other folks I tappity-tap with are well-educated, like Troy and
>Bryan. And oddly, I only communicate with 3 women online- but
>all three share common interests and type properly.
> I'm not a snob by any means- I don't care what folks look like
>one bit, or how they dress, etc.. But I suppose I have a distaste for
>folks who can't flip to "adult" when they're online. I love being an ass
>in here at times- it's so totally me! Good fun and silliness are a huge
>part of my Usenet activities, but sometimes I want to talk like an adult.

I loath net-speak. English, even though an aggregate language cobbled
from various sources, has conventions for correct grammar, punctuation
and syntax.

u no wut im talkin bout???????????

I'll drop an emoticon or two, but I refuse to abbreviate a 3-letter
word like "you". :) Oh, the strain of having to manipulate a shift
key! The rigors of hitting "y" and "o"! Woe to the worlds youth!

> Oops. Oh well, we'll just call the above "Chapter Two" of the book
>I seem to be writing online..........

No one's complaining. Partly because it's not dull as of yet. And
we're afraid of invoking thy wrath. :)

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

>^,,^< Miracle wrote:
> (Sorry for not snipping, but this is cool stuff!)

I'm snipping.
> Wow, that's a very different system indeed- so many different
> types of schools.

Yup. And, obviously, there are ways of shifting upwards as well. After
the CITO exam (which limits where you can go) if you're assigned to
MAVO, you could continue to MBO, and from there move up to HBO, and once
you've got your first year of that you can start a university Bachelors
program, or you can finish your Bachelors and do the Masters at a uni.

All very interesting, though fortunately behind me. Of course, I went
straight to the VWO (which is, by the way, further subdivided into
Atheneum and Gymnasium, the latter including ancient Greek and Latin)

> Of course, some things are different here as you
> go from state to state. In Georgia we went by a 4 quarter system,
> which were school periods of nine weeks. Out here in Arizona they
> use a 3 semester system, which is 16 weeks each. Go figure.

My school periods are officially semesters, but in reality quarters of
10 weeks each, of which 7-8 are for working and the rest for exams and
project assessments.

> In Georgia, grades 7-9 are junior high school, while here they
> are "middle" schools. And in some other states, high school includes
> grade 9.
>
> So I suppose the whole world is doing its own thing as far as
> schooling goes! And I quit in grade 10, as I already knew everything.
> :D
> Yes, I really did quit, but later took the test to get my equivalency.

That's good.

> I find it amusing that I now teach kids who are high schol graduates
> who can't read or write. Hmmm, not amusing exactly.....more along
> the lines of totally disgusted. I mean, I even understand algebra, but
> these kids can't divide 2 into 4 and get a correct answer.

At the HBO, in higher education, someone had to divide 15 by 4.
Obviously, this gives a fraction, and one way to calculate it would be
to divide 16 by 4 (=4) and subtract 1/4, giving 3 and 3/4.

A student actually managed to write down: I cannot calculate this, as I
am not allowed to use a calculator.

The teacher is rather sarcastic in general, but was downright venomous
talking about this.

Oh, speaking of venomous teachers:
http://www.nebulous.nl/misc/Berkeley_Laptop_Thief.mp4

(and while I'm pimping video's, two important ones:
http://www.nebulous.nl/misc/Torn.wmv
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/pokerroom1.html

Both funny, non-disgusting)

> Which brings me to another point- almost every person I correspond
> with online is a foreigner- someone who was born and lives outside
> the U.S. Why? Because their grammer, spelling, and puctuation are
> decent. Even if it's in another language. And they can think without
> AOL telling them what they know.

I always enjoy correcting people's spelling, with them then saying

> The other folks I tappity-tap with are well-educated, like Troy and
> Bryan. And oddly, I only communicate with 3 women online- but
> all three share common interests and type properly.
> I'm not a snob by any means- I don't care what folks look like
> one bit, or how they dress, etc.. But I suppose I have a distaste for
> folks who can't flip to "adult" when they're online. I love being an ass
> in here at times- it's so totally me! Good fun and silliness are a huge
> part of my Usenet activities, but sometimes I want to talk like an adult.

I like form. People say that it's the content that matters, but that's
bullshit. If your goal is to communicate, then you want to be sure
people understand you, and the way you do that is through proper
spelling and the Bad Boys of Punctuation).

> Oops. Oh well, we'll just call the above "Chapter Two" of the book
> I seem to be writing online..........

Say, there's a thought.
--
Frank

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote:
> On 21 Apr 2005 06:39:38 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
> wrote:
>
>> (Sorry for not snipping, but this is cool stuff!)
>
> Allow me! [Snip!]

Okay! :D

> Same here, Miracle. And I'm staggered to see how many degree holders
> are dumb as bricks in any given field. But, like Frank Sinatra, I was
> determined to do it My Way. So I dropped. But by no means discontinued
> my education.

Exactly. But we're both avid readers, aren't we? We didn't have
video games, computers, or cell phones to amuse ourselves with,
so we read books. And magazines, and newspapers.........

> I loath net-speak. English, even though an aggregate language cobbled
> from various sources, has conventions for correct grammar, punctuation
> and syntax.
>
> u no wut im talkin bout???????????

Preachin' to the choir, bro! But I do so love the mangled
"133t sp34K" we use to poke fun at trolls. :D

--

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:29:02 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:

> As well you should. The first mime ever who is actually funny.

I take it you're not including the early silent comedians in that one?

.... or even "Harpo Marx".

--

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:44:48 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:29:02 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:
>
>> As well you should. The first mime ever who is actually funny.
>
>I take it you're not including the early silent comedians in that one?
>
>... or even "Harpo Marx".

Harpo! The Marx brothers! A Night at the Opera! Hilarious stuff.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--