Audigy SE vs. X-Fi XtremeGamer

qmalik

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007

parkardbell486dx2

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I get the X-fi one because of EAX 5.0. Newer games take 4.0 and higher like doom 3. The SE only has 3.0. EAX puts a really nice effect on games. So ya i would get the X-fi, i myself is buying the X-FI later on. But if you don't care about the EAX stuff the SE should do you well you just wont have the option to have high settings on sound while playing games.
But you should read the reviews on newegg!!

parkardbell486dx2

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I had vista ultimate on my computer for three months and it was a living hell. Its really nothing special, its nothing but a wolf covered sheeps fur. Just yesterday i went back to XP with SP3. You wont get the full support for your sound card on vista as you would on XP.
I say stay with XP and deal with not having DX10. You may suffer a small loss for eye candy, but thats it. But its up to you. I am saying this from experience.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Don't listen to all these fools, Vista is a fine operating system. There's also non-official drivers out for the x-fi which make it work fine under Vista.

However, if i were you i'd steer clear of Creative. Go with something like the Asus Xonar or the HT Omega Claro.

Plyro109

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Just so you know, the Audigy SE uses software decoding while the X-fi uses hardware decoding.

The difference between those is that hardware decoding can use the soundcard to actually decode the sound, instead of your computer's processor then running it through a filter, which is what software decoding does. This gives your CPU some extra time that it can put somewhere else (Say, devoting more time to a game). This WILL boost your framerates slightly in games (1-5fps) depending on the game. And, in my opinion, hardware-decoded sound sounds better and clearer than software-decoded. (I went from an Audigy SE to an Audigy 2 Platinum, and the difference is definite.)

Now, if you're looking for sound quality for like music and things, save the money ang get the SE. For games though, you'll want that hardware decoding capability, and that means getting the X-fi.

qmalik

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
well i heard ppl saying that both cards worth with vista...i am just wondering if the sound quality different is worth extra $30. I want to stay in the 30-50$ range for sound card.

Aintry

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Vista doesn't support hardware decoding for audio. Hardware decoding would only offer a performance advantage in Windows XP, which does support hardware decoding.

Aintry

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008

The information is freely available to anyone who wants to look it up.

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I have the X-fi xtremegamer on vista. And it works fine. It even came with drivers specifically for vista from creative... so I don't know why people say that it doesn't work on vista.

makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
same here. i ahve xtremegamer on vista with the creative drivers and it works fine. be sure to download creative alchemy, so you can play old games with eax support.

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Well not exactly true,Creative has it turned off in there drivers but Auzentech has Dolby Digital Live enabled in there drivers with DTS supposedly to follow.So it seems its Creative dragging there feet on the driver support again.

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
I also have x-fi and sure it works in vista only it has a lot less options available in vista than in xp. but you can get unofficial drivers that will offer full functionality in vista like in xp

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007

What isn't available in vista?

qmalik

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
hmm $30 card...vs paying $90 for a better sound card...and than waiting to get $30 back....arg...wish i could hear both cards in action before buying >.<