Sign in with
Your question

Can I use an oem vista(32 bit) disk on my asus (64 bit)?

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows Vista
July 6, 2012 2:43:00 AM

What I have is an asus laptop that is running xp at the moment. It originally had 64 bit vista as the operating system and still has the key on the bottom. I want to update but only have a 32 bit vista disk. Will there be problems using the key for 64 bit with a 32 bit disk? The reason I am changing is that I'm giving it to my daughter and she doesn't like xp.

Thanks

More about : oem vista bit disk asus bit

July 6, 2012 5:41:11 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

The Windows disk set supplied by Microsoft has both 32 and 64 bit systems on separate DVDs but only one Product Key so you can use only one or the other system.

OEM disks will only work on the system it was made for, so apart from having driver issues, the disk would probaby fail to work if it doesn't recognise the hardware.

m
l
July 6, 2012 7:55:19 AM

She will like Vista even less! :lol: 

bone1428 said:
The reason I am changing is that I'm giving it to my daughter and she doesn't like xp.

m
l
Related resources
July 6, 2012 9:22:35 PM

What can I say? Sometimes you have to let them try it and see for themselves. :) 
m
l
July 7, 2012 9:05:42 AM

bone1428 said:
What can I say? Sometimes you have to let them try it and see for themselves. :) 

When she's had enough of it (I give her ten minutes) try her on Red Hat, Suse, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, Damnd Small, Puppy, Ubuntu or anything else with Linux written on the tin.

I couldn't put it better than the Bard who penned this "Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

m
l
July 14, 2012 1:46:01 AM

Well 2 weeks and she hasn't complained. It is holding pretty well and she doesn't use it enough to get tired of the constant questions. So no news is good news. I would try linux mint or ubuntu but not sure how well Itunes would handle it.
m
l
!