Athlon 64 x2 5200+ running extremely cool 14C?!?!?!?!?!

esca8652

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
Is this possible, I am running my CPU on stock heatsink and fan, with another fan blowing on the CPU from the side of the case, I have an overclock of 2.94GHZ(2.7GHZ stock), I know it's an ACTUAL overclock because I ran 3d Mark 06 and found a difference in CPU score, when i went from stock to 2.94, but is there a possibility that my motherboards thermometer is defective, because even at load, my CPU only reaches 34C and that is the same temp load @ 2.7ghz. I can say that I did a bios update through gigabyte, it was not the wrong update, but it caused my computer to be incredibly unstable, which could possibly of damaged my bios???

esca8652

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
yep mine's a Brisbane and the stepping is at 2, so how do i know the REAL temperature, and if i change motherboards will that help??

esca8652

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
nah actually cpu-z says "Revision: BH-G2" if that's what you're asking, the good news is I haven't fried my cpu ;), but if i try and decrease the HT link to 800mhz and then overclock it to 3.01 and then run a game, it usually crashes within a few minutes, don't know what that means

randomizer

Champion
You'll have to use the other sensor (probably just labelled "CPU" in Speedfan) to measure temps, which is in the socket below the CPU I think (someone clarify that, I haven't used an AMD rig for ages). It will read cooler than the temperatures of the cores, but it will be closer than what you're getting from Core Temp etc. The HT link is very sensitive, you need to keep it as close to stock as possible.

esca8652

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
yeah, I'm almost thinking about swapping motherboards, because I got a stable overclock at 2.96, with the ht link at auto 1000mhz, and the HT link with OC is 1095mhz, you wouldn't think it's stable being that it's over the rated capacity of the motherboard, but then when i set the HT link down to 800 and try to overclock it to 3.01 it crashes in games, would it make much of a difference if I increased the bus speed(you know the thing that shows 200), and decreased the multiplier down to say X11.5, or will my computer be more unstable with the bus speed higher? I just figure if I do that then the HTT will function as if it were on auto, when it really isn't and hence be more stable?

esca8652

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
well i did another experiment and, I decreased the multiplier down to 12.5 and increased the fsb to 240, which made my HTT to 956mhz, i ran it for like an hour on a game, it worked fine, BUT then I had Firefox running, and it crashed within minutes, I have 2gb of ram, so it shouldn't be my ram, right? I have my ram at stock 5-5-5-15

randomizer

Champion
RAM speed is determined by the reference clock (what you call FSB but it's not really an FSB) and a multiplier/divider, so you may need to adjust the multiplier/divider to make sure you aren't running it too fast.

esca8652

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
awesome thanks, i'm gonna try to reduce my ram down and overclock further, I'm very new to overclocking and didn't know the "FSB" was linked to the ram, so lets say if you had two of the same CPUs both with identical frequency OCs, one with a larger multiplier, and the other with a small multiplier, will the multiplier have any difference in CPU performance even if both of them were at the same frequencies, and will the temperature change??

randomizer

Champion
There would be a small difference. Multipliers are just numbers but affect how easy it is to OC the CPU. Almost every clock speed is derived from the reference clock.

A CPU with a 12x multiplier and a reference clock of 200MHz will run at 2.4GHz. To get a CPU with a 10x multi to 2.4GHz you need a reference clock of 240MHz. This is harder on the motherboard, but will mean things like the RAM will also be clocked higher and there will be a small performance benefit from this.

If you wanted to hit 3Ghz you would need a 250MHz ref clock on the 12x multi chip, and 300MHz on the 10x multi chip. At some point your motherboard won't go any higher, and it's very likely (although never guaranteed) that the 12x multiplier chip will clock higher because you don't need to train the motherboard and RAM as much to reach the same clock speed.

esca8652

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
actually I got the cpu to 3.01ghz finally with alittle bit of experiment, with the multiplier at 12.5 and the reference clock at 240, which makes my ram at 429mhz, and HT link at 962mhz, but I've tried to go to 242 with same other settings and i'll run a game and within a few minutes it will restart the whole computer, the screen will first go black and show the window in the top and just restart, so do you think it might be that I didn't hit a CPU limit but more like a motherboard limit?

esca8652

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
lol I forgot again,....I've also tried tuning my ram down to 667mhz and putting the multiplier at 12 and the reference clock to 252 and that won't work.......

esca8652

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
yeah, lol the problem is that my motherboard doesn't have voltage options, but I've seen threads of people using this same motherboard, getting there processor up to 3.2-3.3GHZ without increasing voltages

randomizer

Champion
What motherboard? Also, every component is different. You may know that the Core 2 Duos are pretty good overclockers, yes? Well, my E6600 is a bit of a dud. I can't get anywhere without a fair amount of voltage.

Baulten

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I hit a Reference Bus wall around the same area as you, esca8652. I could not get stable past 245.

I was able, however, to hit 3.1 without increasing voltage at all.

My chip has the same stepping, but I don't seem to have a temperature bug. Do all of these have that bug?

esca8652

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
ahh here goes something interesting, i put in 4 more gigabytes, and now i got my system running stable at 1177mhz HTT, before it would reject it pretty quick, ram is at 420mhz, I must say this thing starts up SO much faster, it's mostly the ram, before I only had 1 x 2gb stick, which is a 400mhz ram speed, now i got 1260mhz, ehh little bit off topic, I'm just surprised how much faster things are. Also another weird thing is that when I had 1 x 2gb stick in, I would overclock it to 240 and get a 1095mhz HTT with a 12.5x multiplier, and when I put the other 2 x 2gb sticks in, and set it up to 12.5x multiplier and 235 I got 1177mhz, which was alittle weird I thought, I guess ram has a big impact on it all.