Sign in with
Your question

PSU makes a constant buzzing sound

Last response: in Components
May 18, 2008 6:34:29 PM

I just bought a new 550W PSU from RECOM. After installing it in my old computer (which had its former PSU burn out) I noticed it buzzes constantly (the PSU)

Things of note:
1. I am 100% sure the PSU is the component making the noise
2. The PSU is brand new
3. The noise seems to be influenced by what the computer is running. It's inperceptible if I'm staring at my desktop, but kicks into high if I watch streaming video or play a game.

Any ideas, sugestions? My complete specs can be seen below, for your information pleasure

CPU: AMD AthlonXP 64bit Dual Core 5200+ @ 2.2GHz
MoBo: ABIT KN9 SLI
Vid: BFG nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS
Ram: Corsair 2x1GB
HDD: 240GB SATA Seagate Baracuda
LAN and Audio: onboard

Thank you.
May 18, 2008 6:51:02 PM

I have a suggestion.

Quit buying junk PSUs. RMA it and get a better one.
May 18, 2008 7:47:02 PM

arkaanis said:

3. The noise seems to be influenced by what the computer is running. It's inperceptible if I'm staring at my desktop, but kicks into high if I watch streaming video or play a game.

Most PSUs have a smart fan which increases speed when the
temperature and/or output current increases.

Bring it back and get a better one.

Related resources
May 18, 2008 8:40:38 PM

should have added a
4. I'm 100% sure it's not the fan.
I listened carefuly and it's an electric sound. I even froze the fan in place for a second and the buzzing was still there.

@ Roadrunner: are you saying RECOM is a crap PSU? Or a PSU that makes said noise is crap? I'm pretty brand-savvy when it comes to computer components but I have to admit I have no idea about PSU's. This is my first "name-brand" PSU I've ever bought, all the ones before (3 in number, all fried) were no-name units that cost me like 10 euros each and came in a plastic bag.
This one cost around 70 euros or such though the store DID carry a bunch of more expensive ones. *shrug*
May 18, 2008 10:36:40 PM

Yes he means RECOM is crap. Anyways, is the buzzing quite audible? Can you here it over your case fans and such?

If not it's just a normal transformer buzz. If so it's again crap, replace it.

I don't have the PSU Tier link, could someone post it please. It'll help you pick out a quality PSU.
May 18, 2008 11:47:47 PM

@arkaanis
Where are you from?
I can get a Corsair VX 550W here for ~80EUR and I'm in backwater capital (pricewise). If that's too much get a LC Power 550W LC6550GP (I admit it's an unknown company but it ran my QC without issues for 6 months and my old AMD system for 3 months before that) for ~40 EUR (here). EDIT : Runs cool and quiet.

TIERS: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?s=b07f...
May 19, 2008 12:15:12 AM

unglued coil vibrate under change current
May 19, 2008 4:51:48 AM

Why are you under-clocking your cpu like 400mhz?
May 19, 2008 11:14:22 AM

@ lucius - it's quite audible, yes. If I'm playing something with heavy load I can hear it over game sounds

@ Andrius - Romania. The only Corsair unit they had was a 750W one which was way above my price range (150 euros)

@kpo6969 - A VERY good question. Seems the service guys decided to underclock it last time it went into shop. Clocked it back to nominal value just now
May 19, 2008 11:31:25 AM

Sounds like it's about to go then, you might consider discontinuing usage of your computer until you can replace the PSU.

There's a good chance, IF, it goes while running it will damage components in your computer.
May 19, 2008 1:55:16 PM

@ arkaanis
What about the LC Power 550W? I know it sounds like it's made by monkeys but it's quite cheap (very popular here and my friend who works in a large computer shop said they have a lower failure rate than for enermax for it. I've installed quite a few over the last two years mostly overclocked dualcores and a quadcore (mine) and had no issues or complaints from my friends.
May 19, 2008 11:10:57 PM

@Andrius - not sure my local shop stored LC Power units, but I could probably place an order for one. Thanks for the tip!
May 19, 2008 11:45:01 PM

Where exactly in Romania arkaanis? Oh how I miss the old country....NOT!!!

As far as finding a good PSU in Romania good luck with that m8!!! They are hard to find and not cheap when you do....

Here's soemthing that might do the trick:

http://www.dc-shop.ro/detalii_produs.php?cod=14638

But then you probably want to sli that gts later so you'd need more than 500W to do that.

You could buy one of the bigger ones on this page:

http://www.masseda.ro/of/oferta?action=-Componente-Surs...

Also this store will do special orders for you if you pay a premium and unlike most romanian computer stores actully deliver parts to your front door.

As far as underclocking your CPU is that because of overheating? I think you either bought a "pre built" system or just forgot to budget for your case for your build.....I'd get better cooling if I were you, there's no need to underclock that processor. You could even squezee a few more mhz out of it over stock....
May 20, 2008 1:03:54 AM

DOUBLE POST
!