Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Corrupted by virus, now not accessable

Last response: in Storage
June 23, 2009 3:16:06 AM

My buddy recently got a virus that apparrently corrupted the infrastructure of the hard drive or something because I can't access any of the files on it now. I took it out of his computer and now his works fine but now I'm trying to recover that data and I can't even see the drive if I boot up with an Acronis Disk Director bootable CD. How can I format a disk that I can't access???

More about : hard drive corrupted virus accessable

a b G Storage
June 23, 2009 5:18:39 AM

Does it show up under disk management?
June 23, 2009 1:45:17 PM

no it does not. It does under the bios but not anywhere in windows. It showed up in my computer once, but it didn't have any context menu that I could access it just crahsed when I right clicked. It tried to install the drivers automatically (I'm using windows 7 RC) and it said it was successful and I needed to reboot so I did, and ever since then I can't find it anywhere
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 25, 2009 10:49:38 PM

Try a different data cable (IDE or SATA)

You can try to use the manufacturers HD tools.

If the HD is IDE, double check the jumper setting.

If none of this works, it sounds like a bricked HD.
a b G Storage
June 26, 2009 5:03:20 AM

If you cannot access the drive even to reformat, it sounds like the media descriptor byte was zapped.

A program such as Partition Magic or other disk editor program might be able to at least reformat and possibly recover the drive.
a b G Storage
June 26, 2009 5:22:19 AM

How does he know it was virus ?

this sounds more like a hard drive failure to me
June 26, 2009 3:57:09 PM

i too have a similar problem with my external drive no drive is shown only when i connect shows a saely remove icon but n drive ...if my hard disk is failure isn't there any possibilty to get my files back please can you guys write me i really need my files back..thanks guys
a b G Storage
June 26, 2009 4:39:01 PM

There could be several different reasons for that ^, but you should start your own thread.
!