New Intel Core 2 Duo system..need help plz

gt5002003

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
• Hi, i hope im putting this in the right place. I have read the forum looking for answers to my problem but none realy help me so far. Ok here it goes, and i will try to be as specific as possible. I have built a few systems in the past but all were AMD and now im trying to build a new Intel Core 2 Duo system. Here is what i have purchased from Newegg:
• Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6550 - Retail
• ZEROtherm BTF90 92mm Silent UFO CPU Cooler - Retail
• DFI INFINITY P965-S LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
• 2x SAPPHIRE 100220L Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR4 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail (for crossfire setup).
• Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2LLK2/2GR - Retail.
• Artic Silver 5 thermal paste.
• Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails - Retail.

Ok, the motherboard DFI INFINITY P965-S LGA 775, requires a 8 pin 12v connector which my power supply does have, so thats what i connected along with the main 24 pin. I put all screws and inserts that the motherboard sets in the case on also. When i start the pc up (it sounds weird like too much power or something)..it runs for like 3 seconds and shuts down, then after like 3 seconds it starts back up and runs for 3 seconds and shuts down again and it keeps doing this until shutting it down by either holding the power button down or by switching the psu off by the switch on it. Motherboard has onboard power switch so i tried using it to rule out a bad switch in my case and i get the same results. Oh and this is the second motherboard and processor i have tried because i sent the first ones back because of the exact same problem and i thought they were bad. I get no beeps at all (even with memory completely out). I did read the manual that came with the motherboard and it said if your psu didnt have the 8 pin 12v connector to use the 4 pin 12v, so i tried that and got the same result. I never get a video signal at all. All fans run including the graphics cards. Now i also tried starting the pc with only the 24 pin connector and it stays running but of course no video cause the pcie cards have no power that way. But either way if it works that way or not it does me no good if i cant use my pcie graphics cards. I also tried the motherboard with just 1 stick of ram and still same thing happens. I have tried the graphics cards and ram in another pc and they work fine so i know they are not the problem. I also tried the motherboard outside of the case (not installed or touching any part of the case) and i got the same results. I hope i have explained everything enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

akhilles

Splendid
The power cycle issue may be memory related. Your ram requires 2.0v whereas the standard is 1.8v. You can try each stick in each of the slots until the pc posts, up the vdimm to 2.0v, and install the rest.

gt5002003

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
Ok i got my pc going. I had left a 4 pin fdd style connector unplugged next to one of my pcie slots. It was hid good. I knew that there should have been one but i just couldnt see it. Now i have crossfire setup problems which i will be posting in the graphics card forum. Thanks for you help akhilles.