Sign in with
Your question

Wont read any boot disks besides xp

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
August 20, 2010 1:51:26 AM

Hello,
I recently put together a computer for my little brother, and I was in the process of installing an operating system when I hit a snag. For some reason, my XP disk is the only operating system disk that is reading. I have legitimate Disks, XP, Vista, and 7, and only the XP is working. I even downloaded another 7 disk to make sure that mine wasn't fautly. I really don't want to put XP on this computer, and I don't know what to do. It seems to skip the boot from CD whenever I put the Vista or 7 disks in, 32 or 64 bit. Then it either says BOOTMGR or NTLDR is missing. It seems to just pick one of the error messages to give me. Also, the HDD had XP installed on it before I wiped it, but I even went back and re-wiped it to make sure there were no corrupt system files or anything still there.

More about : wont read boot disks

August 20, 2010 4:50:47 PM

Try upgrading the BIOS to the latest version

Also, you cannot install 64bit Vista or Windows 7 unless the processor in the computer is 64bit. Considering this PC had XP on it I doubt it has a 64bit CPU so make sure you are trying to install 32bit edition of Vista or Windows 7

Worst case install XP and then just upgrade :-)
m
l
August 20, 2010 7:41:29 PM

Quote:
I even downloaded another 7 disk to make sure that mine wasn't fautly
Say what??

Also, you cannot install an operating system that is supplied on DVD into a computer that only has a CD ROM drive.
m
l
!