Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

first build for gaming, need advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 20, 2008 12:03:35 AM

CPU: Q6600
MOBO: Asus Maximus Formula Socket 775 Intel X38
VIDEO CARD: 3870x2 or crossfire 3870
RAM: 4Gig Patriot Viper Series DDR2 800MHz (PVS24G6400LLK) CL 4-4-4-12
HS: Zalman CNPS-9700LED
CASE: Antec 900
PSU: OCZ 850w


I'm looking at getting a 3870x2 or just crossfire two 3870. I've heard two 9600gt is great but i've got a good deal with my videocards so i won't be looking at nvidia. I also want to OC my Q6600 to about 3.0. Will this build be okay? I wasn't sure if i should buy a x38 board or p35, cause if I get the 3870x2 which is only one card then I wouldn't need to crossfire and I heard p35 and x38 is pretty much the same other than x38 has 2 16 slots.

Budget is major factor for my decision and I want to keep cost low but not hurting performace too much.

More about : build gaming advice

April 20, 2008 1:40:19 AM

murdalicious said:
CPU: Q6600
MOBO: Asus Maximus Formula Socket 775 Intel X38
VIDEO CARD: 3870x2 or crossfire 3870
RAM: 4Gig Patriot Viper Series DDR2 800MHz (PVS24G6400LLK) CL 4-4-4-12
HS: Zalman CNPS-9700LED
CASE: Antec 900
PSU: OCZ 850w


I'm looking at getting a 3870x2 or just crossfire two 3870. I've heard two 9600gt is great but i've got a good deal with my videocards so i won't be looking at nvidia. I also want to OC my Q6600 to about 3.0. Will this build be okay? I wasn't sure if i should buy a x38 board or p35, cause if I get the 3870x2 which is only one card then I wouldn't need to crossfire and I heard p35 and x38 is pretty much the same other than x38 has 2 16 slots.

Budget is major factor for my decision and I want to keep cost low but not hurting performace too much.

The difference between p35 and x38 is their fsb. P35 runs at 1333mhz fsb natively, reliably overclock to 1600mhz. X38 runs at 1600mhz fsb natively, reliably oc to 2000mhz. 1600mhz = 3.6ghz for Q6600, and 3.2ghz for Q9450. Of course, x38 also support pcie2.0 and crossfire, as well as runs cooler at similar fsb. But if you don't want those and don't intend to have high overclocking, p35 will cost you $100 less. P35 starts at just under $100, while the cheapest x38 cost $207.
April 20, 2008 7:05:39 AM

Thanks for the reply dagger and the information on the mobos, looks like x38 would be better cause i can always do crossfire for a performance boost. Also the 3.6ghz with the Q6600, would that be with air cooling and will the zalman CNPS-9700LED be able to keep it in safe temp?
Related resources
April 20, 2008 7:37:20 AM

i am not sure whether the Intel chipsets support this but, you could always put 2 3870 X2 in crossfire
April 20, 2008 12:07:09 PM

The Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on air cooling is unlikly (good luck anyway!).
The CNPS-9700S probably won't be enough to keep it cool @ 3.6GHz.
A Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme with a good fan (Scythe S-Flex SFF21F) might be a better choice but it's quite expensive (3.6GHz is still doubtful).

Any P35 board should take you to 3.0GHz on the Q6600.
Just in case. Your build (list) is missing a harddrive. (I recommend a WD6400AAKS)

If you plan to do CrossFire you should get the X38. A P35 board CrossFire is going to be 16x/4x or in a best case scenario (ASUS P5K Premium or the likes) 8x/8x. An X2 solves that problem but Crossfiring 2 X2 is not a good idea on a P35.
April 20, 2008 1:13:07 PM

Andrius said:
The Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on air cooling is unlikly (good luck anyway!).
The CNPS-9700S probably won't be enough to keep it cool @ 3.6GHz.
A Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme with a good fan (Scythe S-Flex SFF21F) might be a better choice but it's quite expensive (3.6GHz is still doubtful).

Any P35 board should take you to 3.0GHz on the Q6600.
Just in case. Your build (list) is missing a harddrive. (I recommend a WD6400AAKS)

If you plan to do CrossFire you should get the X38. A P35 board CrossFire is going to be 16x/4x or in a best case scenario (ASUS P5K Premium or the likes) 8x/8x. An X2 solves that problem but Crossfiring 2 X2 is not a good idea on a P35.



If you have a good air cooler in a good case, it shouldn't be a problem. I ran Q6600 at 4ghz, temp stablize at 70/70/68/68 at one hour of prime95.

I use this cooler, rated at FAIL by Tomshardware. Brought it anyway, right afte reading the review. :na: 
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-cooler-charts-2...

Most p35 boards can OC Q6600 reliably to 3.6ghz, which takes 1600mhz fsb. The problem comes if you use Q9450, which runs at only 3.2ghz at 1600mhz fsb, or Q9300, which runs at 3.0ghz.
April 20, 2008 3:02:07 PM

I hate seeing even a 5 for the first digit of the two digit temperature reading. For what it's worth I wouldn't run it at 60°C 24/7. And the voltage would probably have to go above 1.3V which I really don't want.
I know it's safe all the way to 70°C for Q6600-G0 but I'd never run it at that. I get 55/55/50/48°C @ 3.0GHz after about 1 hour of Prime95 and it stays there (after 24 hours it was still there).

I think the FAIL part is because of the metal shavings... I'd wash it with soap before putting it on a board but I don't think it deserves a FAIL for that. If you don't check for shavings loose parts before you install you play the "Will it smoke?" lottery anyway.
April 20, 2008 3:11:10 PM

Andrius said:
I hate seeing even a 5 for the first digit of the two digit temperature reading. For what it's worth I wouldn't run it at 60°C 24/7. And the voltage would probably have to go above 1.3V which I really don't want.
I know it's safe all the way to 70°C for Q6600-G0 but I'd never run it at that. I get 55/55/50/48°C @ 3.0GHz after about 1 hour of Prime95 and it stays there (after 24 hours it was still there).

I think the FAIL part is because of the metal shavings... I'd wash it with soap before putting it on a board but I don't think it deserves a FAIL for that. If you don't check for shavings loose parts before you install you play the "Will it smoke?" lottery anyway.



It's always a good idea to keep vcore low, but many g0 Q6600s have VID of 1.3 or above. So it's not realistic to keep it that low while oced, if you have to run it at 1.3 or higher while still at stock. The thermal limit for g0 Q6600 is 71, after which it throttles back multiplier.

Yeah, the FAIL is for installation, not performance. That review got my attention, so I checked the thing's specs. It boasts heavier heatsink, larger surface area fins, and greater airflow than anything else at the time. Looking at specs, it's peerless. I took a chance with installation, and it paid off. :p 
April 20, 2008 3:22:51 PM

dagger said:
It's always a good idea to keep vcore low, but many g0 Q6600s have VID of 1.3 or above. So it's not realistic to keep it that low while oced, if you have to run it at 1.3 or higher while still at stock. The thermal limit for g0 Q6600 is 71, after which it throttles back multiplier.

Yeah, the FAIL is for installation, not performance. That review got my attention, so I checked the thing's specs. It boasts heavier heatsink, larger surface area fins, and greater airflow than anything else at the time. Looking at specs, it's peerless. I took a chance with installation, and it paid off. :p 


My VID is 1.3V so yes 1.45 should still be "safe". At stock it runs 24/7 Prime95 stable at 1.075V (So why a 1.3V VID ?).
I've picked up a TRUE with SFF21F. Costs an arm and a leg.
But I can run it with the fan off and it still stays under 70°C at stock @ 1.075V.
I've stopped at 3.0GHz to not overtax my noname LC 550W "Gr33nP0w4h" PSU at that time (got a Corsair now) and to stay under 50°C 99% of the time. Have to see what temperatures the summer will bring to the game.
April 20, 2008 3:32:05 PM

Andrius said:
My VID is 1.3V so yes 1.45 should still be "safe". At stock it runs 24/7 Prime95 stable at 1.075V (So why a 1.3V VID ?).
I've picked up a TRUE with SFF21F. Costs an arm and a leg.
But I can run it with the fan off and it still stays under 70°C at stock @ 1.075V.
I've stopped at 3.0GHz to not overtax my noname LC 550W "Gr33nP0w4h" PSU at that time (got a Corsair now) and to stay under 50°C 99% of the time. Have to see what temperatures the summer will bring to the game.



Lol, are you sure about that? Prime95 24/7 stable at 1.075vcore for Q6600 just doesn't seem very realistic.
April 20, 2008 3:53:02 PM

Yes I'm sure. It ran for over 24 hours cause I wanted to make sure it was stable (I was freaked out enough to ask if it was normal in graysky's thread on overclocking the quadcores). It runs at 3.0GHz with 1.24375V (with 1.23V idle and load in XP on HX-620W).
Before that it was 1.23V idle and 1.20V load on the noname PSU.
I think I could probably drop it to 1.2250V now as the drop is almost non existant (the voltage is always the same).
May 19, 2008 1:50:31 PM

Let me start off by saying that I am in now way shape or form a computer expert. However, I do read these forums a lot and one of the noticeable trends is that people who do know what they are talking about are recommending the E8400 over the Q6600. There are many reasons why but mainly because the E8400 is better at OC'ing and most apps cannot use the quad core.

How easy is it to overclock? I have one have no idea how to OC and mine is running at 3.6 on air cooling and it rarely goes above 35C.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249274-28-e8400-q9450...
read through that thread and I am sure Andrias and Dagger could explain this much better then I can.
May 19, 2008 2:12:09 PM

First off, consider the uses of your computer, what benefits will a quad have over a dual for you? Do you think you're going to want a Nahalem next year? If you're purely gaming the higher clocked dualcore is a better choice. If you are going to be doing a lot of encoding and editing then a quad is better, simple as that.

Secondly, you don't need that kind of power from your powersupply-AT ALL :
Get something that is reliable, quiet, and runs cool. Look at SeaSonic or PC Power&Cooling.

Thirdly, if you intend on a high overclock, don't get an Asus when a great little company with awesome bios options called DFI is around...They're an overclocker's best friend.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

For the RAM, get something that's going to take to overclocking better...I like Crucial Ballistix...
!