Sign in with
Your question

are my e8400 idle temps ok?

Last response: in CPUs
May 19, 2008 2:32:12 AM

I have a Xigmatek 1283 cooler on a Gigabyte DS3L. This is the first time I have ever installed a cpu and heatsink. I used arctic silver 5 with a thin? line going as instructed by arctic silver

@3GHz Speedfan shows ~45-46 C on both cores, ~55-57 under load.

ambient temperature is around 70ish. Is that ok? did I install everything right?

More about : e8400 idle temps

May 19, 2008 2:34:10 AM

Looks good. :p 
May 19, 2008 2:39:46 AM

are temperature changes supposed to be instantaneous? the second I close orthos temps goto idle.
Related resources
May 19, 2008 2:45:40 AM

Meteo said:
are temperature changes supposed to be instantaneous? the second I close orthos temps goto idle.

Usually not that quickly, but it's a good thing. You're fine, don't worry.
May 19, 2008 3:06:45 AM

My idle temps are around 25c and my load temps are about 37c according to speed fan. My ambient temp is around 70 and my E8400 is clocked at 3.6. I think your temps are a little high.
May 19, 2008 3:13:57 AM

A little high but safe. If you want to go higher you might want to reseat.

If you do pull it apart check the cpu and the heatsink for warpage.
May 19, 2008 3:18:29 AM

Been there done that I re-seated mine 3 times and said :fou:  untill I found out there is a temp reading problem with the E8400.Your temps are good,and
the only temp monitor that comes close is "RealTemp" so if you use any other one just deduct 10c from them.
ausch30 must have a rare one with the TJ MAX set correctly to 95 or he lives in Alaska.
May 19, 2008 3:27:34 AM

My e8400 shows temps like that too. Don't go by the individual core temps, that's the temp sensor that's messed up. There's one general temp for the cpu that seems to be correct. It's mentioned above. I get about 30c at idle and about 41c full load. What sucks is the hardware monitoring for nvidia motherboards that comes with the nvidia system tools only shows temps for the cpu using the two bad sensors for the individual cores instead of the general cpu sensor.
May 19, 2008 3:28:29 AM

Not Alaska, worse, Buffalo NY. lol

I just bought the CPU a couple weeks ago and I wonder if the temp sensor issue was only in the first run of processors. There was quite a while when they were out of stock everywhere and I wonder if that was because Intel was fixing the problem.
May 19, 2008 3:32:41 AM

Thats RealTemp,you said SpeedFan gave you those temps.
May 19, 2008 3:34:02 AM

They are both about the same, that's just the image I already had in Photobucket.
May 19, 2008 3:38:24 AM

Well as you can see Meteo RealTemp is the one you want to use.I get the exact same temps as ausch30 with it, but 10c higher with Speedfan,HWMonitor,CoreTemp.
May 19, 2008 3:49:18 AM

realtemp shows ~40ish so there must be something wrong because the Xigmatek should be one of the best coolers you can buy. I think Im going to try reseating it. What should I look out for that I did wrong?
May 19, 2008 4:00:26 AM

These are my temps from everything, yours should be fairly similar. Mine might be a little lower due to my TRUE but your cooler is good as well.
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2008 4:27:35 AM

Meteo said:

If you have C1E/EIST enabled, yes, it is practically instantaneous because power consumption drops dramatically all of a sudden.

Side note: You actually read the instruction on the arctic silver site? Praise! Praise!
May 19, 2008 4:33:27 PM

I just built my PC this past weekend with the E8400 and an Artic Cooling 7 HSF. I get 43/44C idle with ambient temp around 70F (with fan control on auto). I have not tried it with fan control disabled to get the full RPMs yet.

I have not tested with Prime95 yet since I'm still fooling with wires and installing software.

The BIOS shows temps about 10C cooler.
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2008 7:21:50 PM

Meteo said:
I have a Xigmatek 1283 cooler on a Gigabyte DS3L. This is the first time I have ever installed a cpu and heatsink. I used arctic silver 5 with a thin? line going as instructed by arctic silver

@3GHz Speedfan shows ~45-46 C on both cores, ~55-57 under load.

ambient temperature is around 70ish. Is that ok? did I install everything right?

As already mentioned above, download Real Temp as your numbers do look a bit high.
here's mine if you want a reference.
May 19, 2008 9:14:29 PM

I just checked my bios and CPU temps were MUCH lower at around ~25 C. But why is there such a big difference? I dunno what to believe now.
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2008 9:24:06 PM

Meteo said:
I just checked my bios and CPU temps were MUCH lower at around ~25 C. But why is there such a big difference? I dunno what to believe now.

Is this before or after reseating the HSF?
May 19, 2008 9:30:55 PM

before, I havent done anything to the heatsink yet.
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2008 9:34:09 PM

[:mousemonkey:2] H'mm Real Temp or BIOS?, which one allows you to sleep well?
May 19, 2008 9:55:46 PM

Meteo, realtemp is reading core temperatures from DTS. It is well documented that idle core temperatures on E8400 are artificially high from nonlinear, ie no calibration at low temps. Intel has publicly aknowledged this and stated core temps are for throttling, hence only accurate in high range. Not until you reach temps around 65C, are you getting accurate core temps. Use realtemp so your load core temps will be accurate, and if your load temps are ~52C (which they should be given speedfan was showing 57C load and speedfan uses 5C higher tjmax) then your cooling i fine.

If you want accurate idle temps, you have two choices. 1) use cpu temp (diode between cores) from bios or speedfan, note speedfan will probably read cpu temp slightly lower than bios, as bios is a small load. or 2) use core temps, but use realtemp calibration, and negatively calibrate your idle temps, so they are a 3-4C above ambients at low clock/volt settings. It will then give more accurate idle temps, without affecting load temps at the accurate range of >65C or 25-30 from tjmax.

Some E8400 have idle temps only apparently 5C or so to high, some 20C to high, so you really need to just compare load temps between cpus, there is enough inaccuracy in just comparing loads, idles are impossible.

But yes your cpu temp of 25C or probably lower if using speedfan at true idle, is going to be more accurate idle temp.
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2008 11:59:27 PM

Realtemp calibration won't work for me, I'd have to set a negative 10-15C offset or so on my E6600 to get it 5C above ambient :lol: 
May 21, 2008 12:39:24 AM

Remounted the heatsink and managed to get it down to ~37-40 according to real temp. I think I used a bit more AS5 this time. Maybe it needs a little bit more?
!