Status
Not open for further replies.

asauka

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
Heya, I recently "misplaced" my modular power supply cables to my Jeantec 700w Storm PSU. However I have a second 8800GTS coming this week and I'm in need of a second PCI-E cable.

My question I'm putting forward is if I can use replacement modular cables from another modular PSU? I cannot seem to find replacements for this PSU anywhere.

asauka

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
So as long as it fits, all should be good? I'm just concerned about compatibility, just being paranoid but I'd rather be sure before I try.

mi1ez

Splendid
I would think so long as it fits it should work although the pinout may be different and dissimilar metals will probably try to "weld" to each other!

The more I think about it the worse the idea becomes!

bushmastertd

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
i believe i would call the maker of the PSU and see how much some replacement cables would be. I would hate to try to guess and try the other cable, plug in said cable, and fry the PSU / MOBO / Video card and what ever the gremlins decide to get. Just saying i would rather be safe than sorry.

asauka

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah... Starting to get the same idea now. thanks for responding, I just hope I just sent them a second email so lets hope I get a response off them before I start trying other mudular cables.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I can tell you this from experience, cables from an Antec 500 are not changeable with a Thermaltake Toughpower 750W supply. I connected the cable from my Antec PSU to the TTP PSU and got ZZZZZZZZZZZZ. The board and fans lite up for a second and nothing. I thought I had fried my new Rampage Formula X48 MB. So check that the wiring on the cables match. The plug my be the same but the wires may be located different in the connector, as was my case.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Not only can the position of the wires and the correct currents of the power supply slot be different between the two different parts, but the resistance would almost always be off. Also the correct cable would be made to handle the amperage of the power supply, and the other power supply's identical cable might not be able to handle that amount of amperage. Honestly I would be surprised if it worked, just do not try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.