1TB HD: "WD Caviar GPWD10EADS" vs "Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B"

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • NAS / RAID
  • Western Digital
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 23, 2009 11:44:05 AM

I'm currently building a small HTPC / NAS / Media server for myself and all I'm missing are the hard drives.
I plan to use the hard drives in a RAID 1 (powered by a hardware RAID controller).

"Western Digital Caviar GPWD10EADS" vs "Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B 1TB"

Now, can anyone recommend any of these hard drives?

-> NOISE is very very important to me since the rest of the system is gonna be more or less noiseless (2 x 120mm 6dB fans, fanless CPU, 9dB PSU...).

And since I have made some bad experiences with hard drive cases to reduce vibrations and noise, I'd like to have a set of quiet hard drives.

I hope I made myself clear and am looking forward to your answers!

have a great day \

More about : 1tb caviar gpwd10eads hitachi deskstar 7k1000

a c 127 G Storage
June 24, 2009 12:05:22 AM

I would pick the WD Green drive. Its power consumption (and thus: heat production) is half of that of normal drives, but still has decent performance. It might be great if you use the HDD in a small casing or with little airflow/cooling. They are also very silent, since they run at lower speed (close to 5400rpm).
May 2, 2013 7:45:43 PM

sub mesa said:
I would pick the WD Green drive. Its power consumption (and thus: heat production) is half of that of normal drives, but still has decent performance. It might be great if you use the HDD in a small casing or with little airflow/cooling. They are also very silent, since they run at lower speed (close to 5400rpm).

So I'm guessing you haven't read this, where it says the Hitachi does better thant the WD Green: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hitachi-western-dig...
!