drkailinium

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
every time i try to overclock my CPU my temp go to about 95 degrees c from about 60ish but i should have much lower with my cooler which is a arctic cooler freezer extreme so it should not be any were near that what wrong the only thing i cant think of is that i didnt clean of all the old thermal paste before installing (the new thermal paste was already on the bottom but had not idea if it was too much/little. what could be causing such a huge amount of heat?
motherboard:foxconn 680i N68S7AA-8EKRS2H
PSU:750 watt

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
1. What program are you using to check temps, what is your cpu etc.
I always say get a 2nd opinion, try a few other temp programs see if all claim same temps.
2. Make sure you applied Thermal paste correctly and that your HSF is all the way down securely....

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
You didn't even tell us your cpu lol. If you have an intel CPU, use Realtemp, it is the most accurate.

What clock are you taking it up to?
What voltage?

You're not giving us nearly enough details.

drkailinium

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008

good point im using a Q6600 stock speed vcore 1.264

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
D/l Core temp and Real temp programs and see what temps are with it, report back what they are idle and full load ok, then we can go from there...

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Ok Dr. Last time bud.... download core temp, get reading ont it, post Core temp reading idle and full load, 2nd download Real temp program, post Idle and Full load, we can go from there, an OC on a 6600 is as easy as changing FSB to 333 thats it.... ok man hehe

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You probably are ballpark range on temps at around 45-50ish with a Q6600 at idle...you would like to see closer to 40, depending on ambient temps.

Sharken is correct with the simple flip from 266 to 333 to make the jump to 3.0ghz...it doesn't require a voltage change. If anything, remove the heatsink, clean the CPU and HS with some rubbing alcohol, reapply a thin layer of paste, and re-seat the heatsink. Might give you a few more *C on those temps.

drkailinium

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
The thing is with my cooler i should get really low temps idle about 20ish?
so i dont see how a reseat could make althat difference anyone else have the same cooler? what are your temps?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
20C? I highly doubt that, even at idle, unless you have a very cold room. I installed that same cooler for a guy with the same CPU (q6600) and I think he was getting about 41-43C at idle average on all cores. I think he got to about 63C at load.

At idle, watercooled and clocked at 3.6, my q6600 is sitting right now at about 33C, and the room is somewhat warm after my machine being on all day. So, that being said, I don't see how you would get those temps...did you see some reviews on that cooler getting those temps? And what were the ambient room temps from those results?

Reseating the cooler (after cleaning and reapplying thermal paste) can give you a better contact between the IHS of the CPU and the cooler, and getting the correct amount of thermal paste will allow for far better heat transfer between the metals.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yes, typically you will have random cores picking up threads (even at idle) and processing them for a second or 2, then dropping them. I would say, if you are running a bench program, like Prime or something, you should see pretty similar load temps...if so, you should be OK regardless of idle temps.