VisionTek has new warranty policy for all loyal customers!

stevesy710

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
3 Year Warranty now upgraded to a 60 Day Warranty. **** Yeah!?
DSC_0624.jpg

This isn't just to rip on VisionTek. I really do want other gamers/users out there to know that if you make a considerable investment into a graphics card that you are going to put to good use for years to come then you might consider steering clear from the ditch that is VisionTek. As of now it doesn't seem like I'm getting out of it anytime soon.

Anyways so an x1300 256agp failed on me. Sucks because you gotta pay a hefty premium if you need an agp replaced too. I contact VisionTek and they just ask me to provide the receipt from 2 years ago. No advice as to make sure maybe their card isn't broken or any troubleshooting.

I don't know about you but that's pretty unreasonable to me. A friend had an 8800gts that failed on him from BFG Tech and they replaced it without question besides asking him to make sure it wasn't other components by having it tested on a friend or family's computer. The card was replaced with an 8800 gts 512mb too and his broken one was only an 8800 gts 320mb

Also just for the sake of showing that I'm really not asking for alot here. My Western Digital Caviar 160gb was extremely loud and finally stopped working a year into owning it and all they needed were some #s off the Hard Drive Label gave me an rma # hd was sent in and replaced with a 16mb cache one when originally mine was 8mb.

anyways this is what I had to say to their customer service/tech support: (awaiting their response)

You gotta be kidding me, it was purchased at least a year and a half ago if not a longer. Does VisionTek use this as an excuse not to honor their warranty? I assume that this is not a pattern for all your cards but this particular one I purchased from CompUSA did fail on me. A year back or so a Western Digital Hard Drive failed got really loud and just stopped spinning I contacted them about it and they replaced the Hard Drive without question besides just needing couple set of #s on the hard drive.
I don't think I'll be buying or recommending VisionTek to other fellow gamers on Tom's Hardware forums. This isn't being stated just to try to get the some real help but if this is how things go at Visiontek then I don't want other people to have to be screwed out of $150-200 a year down the road from now. I'm sure it doesn't matter to you either way as you're a tech support rep that will get paid either way.

Don't get me wrong though. The card worked great when it was working but when it fails all I receive instead of any help at all is a response basically saying

"No problem Here at VisionTek we'll be happy to help you once you have your receipt from 2 years. That's what we were hoping for because we already got your money and we're just kidding about the warranty anyways. See but what you could've done was build a time machine travel back in time and hope your graphics card fails on you within 30 days and then exchange it for one of our other cards. If that breaks please don't bother to contact us though because we already stated that the warranty is just a joke. Unless you're willing to reveal the schematics to your time machine."

No but seriously you should recommend to your supervisor or any higher ups that they should just revise the policy to a 60 day warranty instead of 3 years. That way people already gain trust in your products and once they break they're screwed. It might cause you to lose customers in the long run but screw it right?

Psymonx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
This is Typical. Whats the point in having ANY warrantee period if you don't verify that it is within the timeframe. They sold that card for what 4 years? I'm glad I know, but I don't think this is 100% on them. Perhaps a learning exerience. Keep every reciept for everything that you want a warantee on. There might be a few companies who don't care, but the vast majority will want proof of purchase.