the address-book in 'Palm Desktop' application is empty

July 22, 2004 6:06:04 PM

I have v4.0.1 of the 'Palm Desktop' program (on Windows), which
I use to control the 'hotsync' of information between my Handsrping
Visor (Palm OS) and Windows.

I've been routinely hotsync-ing my Outlook address-book/contacts
between the handheld and Windows for a few years now, and
that works fine. My address-book on the handheld and in Outlook
are both full of my address/contact entries (and you expect).

But, today, I noticed that there is an 'address-book' within this
'Palm Desktop' application (as well as a 'Date' book, 'To Do' book,
and a 'Memo' book).

But, it seems weird to me, that all of them are EMPTY.
They all say 'There are no items to show in this view.'

My expectation is that as I synchronize data between Outlook
and the handheld, the data would also flow into, and be displayable
in, this 'Palm Desktop' application, too.

If that expectation is incorrect, then what is the purpose of these
views in the 'Palm Desktop' application? Do you other owners
of 'Palm Desktop' have empty views too?

TIA...

Dave
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 4:48:06 AM

"David Cook" <(who wants to know?)> wrote in

> I have v4.0.1 of the 'Palm Desktop' program (on Windows),
> which I use to control the 'hotsync' of information between
> my Handsrping Visor (Palm OS) and Windows.
>
> I've been routinely hotsync-ing my Outlook
> address-book/contacts between the handheld and Windows for
> a few years now, and that works fine. My address-book on
> the handheld and in Outlook are both full of my
> address/contact entries (and you expect).
>
> But, today, I noticed that there is an 'address-book'
> within this 'Palm Desktop' application (as well as a 'Date'
> book, 'To Do' book, and a 'Memo' book).
>
> But, it seems weird to me, that all of them are EMPTY.
> They all say 'There are no items to show in this view.'

Well, Duh!

> My expectation is that as I synchronize data between
> Outlook and the handheld, the data would also flow into,
> and be displayable in, this 'Palm Desktop' application,
> too.
>
> If that expectation is incorrect, then what is the purpose
> of these views in the 'Palm Desktop' application? Do you
> other owners of 'Palm Desktop' have empty views too?

You can sync with the Palm Desktop, or you can sync with
Outlook. You can't do both. As long as you are syncing with
Outlook, nothing will be transferred to the Palm Desktop. I
avoid Lookout, and it has not, does not, and will NEVER, EVER,
reside on my computer. It's a virus magnet of the first order,
and is worth less than you pay for it. But that's beside the
point here - you cannot sync with both at the same time.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 12:34:11 PM

Stan -

That SOUNDS correct, but there seems to be no way to point it
back from Outlook to the 'Palm Desktop'.

Their 'help' file says to use the (separate) application
called 'Mail Setup' to choose which client on the desktop-side
to use, and the 'Palm Desktop' is not listed.
(Completely de-installing this application might work, but
I'm not going to that extreme.)

('Duh' to you too.)

Cheers...

Dave

"Stan Gosnell" <me@work> wrote in message
> "David Cook" <(who wants to know?)> wrote in
>
> > I have v4.0.1 of the 'Palm Desktop' program (on Windows),
> > which I use to control the 'hotsync' of information between
> > my Handsrping Visor (Palm OS) and Windows.
> >
> > I've been routinely hotsync-ing my Outlook
> > address-book/contacts between the handheld and Windows for
> > a few years now, and that works fine. My address-book on
> > the handheld and in Outlook are both full of my
> > address/contact entries (and you expect).
> >
> > But, today, I noticed that there is an 'address-book'
> > within this 'Palm Desktop' application (as well as a 'Date'
> > book, 'To Do' book, and a 'Memo' book).
> >
> > But, it seems weird to me, that all of them are EMPTY.
> > They all say 'There are no items to show in this view.'
>
> Well, Duh!
>
> > My expectation is that as I synchronize data between
> > Outlook and the handheld, the data would also flow into,
> > and be displayable in, this 'Palm Desktop' application,
> > too.
> >
> > If that expectation is incorrect, then what is the purpose
> > of these views in the 'Palm Desktop' application? Do you
> > other owners of 'Palm Desktop' have empty views too?
>
> You can sync with the Palm Desktop, or you can sync with
> Outlook. You can't do both. As long as you are syncing with
> Outlook, nothing will be transferred to the Palm Desktop. I
> avoid Lookout, and it has not, does not, and will NEVER, EVER,
> reside on my computer. It's a virus magnet of the first order,
> and is worth less than you pay for it. But that's beside the
> point here - you cannot sync with both at the same time.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Stan
July 23, 2004 6:33:04 PM

"David Cook" <(who wants to know?)> wrote in message
> Stan -
>
> That SOUNDS correct, but there seems to be no way to point it
> back from Outlook to the 'Palm Desktop'.
>
> Their 'help' file says to use the (separate) application
> called 'Mail Setup' to choose which client on the desktop-side
> to use, and the 'Palm Desktop' is not listed.
> (Completely de-installing this application might work, but
> I'm not going to that extreme.)
>
> ('Duh' to you too.)
>
> Cheers...
>
> Dave

On my Tungsten T3 CD there is an application called outlookswitcher.exe. For
reasons best known to Palm this does not get installed on the PC. But you
can run it from the CD (or copy it to your PC) at any time to toggle sync
between Outlook and Palm Desktop.

HTH,
Tim.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 6:33:05 PM

Tim -

Thanks for the info.

I searched my original CDROM from Palm, and (sigh) there
are no other programs. (The Handspring and Palm software are quite old,
compared to Tungsten.)

Cheers...

Dave

"Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "David Cook" <(who wants to know?)> wrote in message
> > Stan -
> >
> > That SOUNDS correct, but there seems to be no way to point it
> > back from Outlook to the 'Palm Desktop'.
> >
> > Their 'help' file says to use the (separate) application
> > called 'Mail Setup' to choose which client on the desktop-side
> > to use, and the 'Palm Desktop' is not listed.
> > (Completely de-installing this application might work, but
> > I'm not going to that extreme.)
> >
> > ('Duh' to you too.)
> >
> > Cheers...
> >
> > Dave
>
> On my Tungsten T3 CD there is an application called outlookswitcher.exe.
For
> reasons best known to Palm this does not get installed on the PC. But you
> can run it from the CD (or copy it to your PC) at any time to toggle sync
> between Outlook and Palm Desktop.
>
> HTH,
> Tim.

Anonymous