Way to get around ISP only allowing 1 IP address?

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I've got TVMAX here in Houston, and they're only allowing me 1 IP address for my connection. I can switch the connection easily enough by resetting the cable modem and refreshing the IP address, but I've got a desktop, laptop, PS3 and my gf's laptop that I'd like to have all connected at once. Is there a way around the 1 IP per connection rule? I refuse to give this horrible company any more of my money.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Yes, setup a router (using your one IP) that has a 4 or 5 port switch built into it. Most wireless routers would suffice for you. non-wireless routers are getting harder to find but if you don't want wireless signals in your house you can disable the wireless radio on most wireless routers.

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I have a regular router and a WAP.

Cable modem -> Router

Router ->
1) Desktop 1
2) Desktop 2
3) WAP

WAP signal for
1) Laptop 1
2) Laptop 2
3) PS3

But I can only have one of those devices online at any one time. They all say theyre connected to the network, but it doesn't work (because the IP is invalid)

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Sounds like you might have the router in "bridge" mode. That would keep it from acting as a router should and allowing you to keep a private network behind the router. Did you have to install software on your PC from the ISP in order to get it working? If so you may not have luck (although you might) in setting up your router to handle the network authentication but generally this is a DSL issue rather than cable (although you didn't say what you're getting from TVMAX, I assumed cable)
Back to the IP issue, you can't have all your devices set to the same IP (if thats how you did it), you should assign that IP to your router and set the router to act as DHCP server and have the rest of your PC's/devices getting their settings from DHCP

G

This is not a recommendation normally, but have you considered Windows' Internet Connection Sharing ?

Have a look for ICS under Windows Help.

Basically, you connect one PC and then piggyback another via an ethernet cable. But I suspect with a little ingenuity you can apply the same principle to a router which you can then connect remaining computers too.

The possible advantage in your situation is that ICS uses fixed IP address (presumably of the first machine) so your annoying supplier may not notice the other machines.

Long run, wait till your contract is up and then just tell them you're leaving because of their dumb one-license policy -- and see what you can get from them.

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009

I did not have to install any software on my PC. No username/password crap, just what I set up on the router previously. It's the same setup I had in my old apartment with DSL and it worked fine, but now that I've moved and have cable internet, it doesnt work. I know how to change the WAP settings, but how do I change the router settings?

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
go to command prompt and run "ipconfig /all" to find router (aka gateway) IP address if you don't already know it and enter that IP address in a browser. You may need a password for it to change any settings which could be a problem if its their router and they set it up for you.

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009

No, its my router. They just supplied the modem. I'll try that when I get home.

thanks