My daughter has been given a three year old computer. To make the win XP
legal can she buy an upgrade package and install on this computer or dose the
system need to be refomatted and then loaded
--
Fridgeman

Purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP Professional and perform
a "Repair Install".

Reinstalling Windows XP Home Edition would require reformatting the drive.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Fridgeman wrote:
> My daughter has been given a three year old computer. To
> make the win XP legal can she buy an upgrade package and
> install on this computer or dose the system need to be
> refomatted and then loaded --
> Fridgeman

Is there a sticker on the side of the case (or bottom if it's a
laptop) that looks like this?
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/quiz_coa.mspx?quizType=oem&compareButton=Compare+Now
If there is, you may already own a legal installation of XP.

What kind of computer is this? Brand name and model?
It may be possible to obtain a replacement CD from the
manufacturer.

Did you ask the person who gave this computer to your daughter
for the installation CD? Did they give her any CD's at all?

Did they give you a manual with this computer? If they did,
take a look inside for instructions on how to restore the
operating system. It's possible that the files needed to
reinstall XP are located on a hidden partition on the hard
drive.

Have you gone to this web site and run the "Windows Validation
Assistant"?
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx
If your copy of XP is determined to be invalid, you may have
less costly alternatives than having to go out and pay full
price for a fresh copy.

Keep in mind that if you have to format the hard drive and
reinstall Windows, all data on the installation partition will
be lost. Any applications that are currently installed will
have to be reinstalled. If you don't have the installation CD's
for these programs, you've got another problem.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Gordon

"Fridgeman" <Fridgeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My daughter has been given a three year old computer. To make the win
> XP legal can she buy an upgrade package and install on this computer
> or dose the system need to be refomatted and then loaded

What makes you think the XP installation on the computer is illegal?

Gordon Thanks for the reply, she did not purchas the software and does not
have the original disk.
--
Fridgeman

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Fridgeman" <Fridgeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My daughter has been given a three year old computer. To make the win
> > XP legal can she buy an upgrade package and install on this computer
> > or dose the system need to be refomatted and then loaded
>
> What makes you think the XP installation on the computer is illegal?

dl

Are you sure its not a sys that has a hidden recovery partition?