Sign in with
Your question

ATI HD 3600 hdmi sound problem on XP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 30, 2008 3:18:39 PM

I purchased an ATI HD 3650 card. I have it hooked up to my HDTV using both monitor and DVI-HDMI connectors. WIth the montior connection I have the sound going from the pc into my audio receiver. Picture and sound are fine. The reason why I am using a montior connection is beacause I am still using my old 3DFX card. The problem is no sound from the HDMI connection. I made sure the intorenal mute of the TV is off. I made sure the audio device in windows XP has AT audio selected. NO sound at all. I do not understand why the sound is not being output to the TV when I have the latest drivers installed, the correct audio device in Xp selected and when this video card is suppose to carry soound from DVI-HDMI. ANy ideas??
April 30, 2008 5:36:54 PM

I'm using Vista so sorry if i'm repeating stuff you've tried, however when i bring up the Volume Mixer ( the little speaker symbol in your task bar) I have a device Tab that has options to route audio via HDMI - High definition audio device.

Another idea, are you using the HDMI cable that came with your Gfx card as a cheap one may not carry audio?

Also maybe you need to select or deselct the 'Enable Digital IO' option in your speaker properties. Again Vista so can't remember exactly where it is in XP.

Can your TV run 1080p? Have you tried CCC's HDTV Support to set it to what your TV supports?

Not actually tried hooking up my comp to T.V as HDMI is a lower res than my 24" Sam'y.
April 30, 2008 5:39:18 PM

Hey, go check your sound control in your control panel.
Select the 3650 as the default sound output or stuffs.
Should work.
Related resources
April 30, 2008 8:57:58 PM

Also what are your settings, both for the multi-monitor setup in Control panel, as well as the settings for the receiver you're trying to pass the audio through?

You may be encountering an issue if the CP doesn't detect that the HDMI can handle the audio out to the receiver.

Also just re-read what you wrote, are you using the TV-monitor as a pass through? does it support displaying the 3DFX as the display input and then passing through an HDMI signal?

Probably be better to use your AV receiver as the passthrough, and then it could send both Audio and Video to the TV as well as process the audio, but at the same time your TV could simply ignore the HDMI when you select VGA in.

Anywhoo, that's how I read you problem. Even if the computer outputs correctly that setup seems like the monitor pass-through would be the issue.
May 6, 2008 9:25:47 AM

DVI-HDMI >>> How is that will put out a sound??? As far as I know only video co'z its coming from a DVI and DVI doesn't provide a sound to begin with....
May 6, 2008 9:04:17 PM

I've got a 3870 and 2600XT. They both use ATI's proprietary DVI-HDMI adapters and I have never gotten the HDMI sound to work on either systems. The DVI connection is ATI's own "special" one for S/PDIF audio passthrough
May 6, 2008 10:08:02 PM

nel89 said:
DVI-HDMI >>> How is that will put out a sound??? As far as I know only video co'z its coming from a DVI and DVI doesn't provide a sound to begin with....

Yes it can, there are additional data pins on the DVI connection that can be used for a variety of things. AMD choses to use it for digital audio (although max due to bandwidth is compressed DD/DTS 5.1 & LPCM 2 channel).And AMD aren't the only ones doing that, althought they are the one to make it ubiquitous available on most of their cards.

May 7, 2008 8:32:00 PM

bfellow said:
I've got a 3870 and 2600XT. They both use ATI's proprietary DVI-HDMI adapters and I have never gotten the HDMI sound to work on either systems. The DVI connection is ATI's own "special" one for S/PDIF audio passthrough

Exactly my point!!! Also even though both connections are HDMI, you will still need to have a HD audio output from your mobo to plug it on your video card
May 7, 2008 11:55:23 PM

nel89 said:
Exactly my point!!! Also even though both connections are HDMI, you will still need to have a HD audio output from your mobo to plug it on your video card

No you won't. Do your research and stop posting your ignorance.

I agree with bfellow that there are issues with compatability (mainly due to realtek drivers I've found), but you obviously don't know what you're talking about.
The HD2K and HD3K do not require an audio output from the mobo to be plugged into the video card. That's the old implementation for cards like the X1600, GF7600 and some of the current GF8s, nothing like the ATi implementation, which isn't an S/PDIF passthrough either, S/PDIF spec covers neither DVI nor HDMI.
May 8, 2008 6:58:40 AM

Quote:
Manufacturer would say just about anything and if it don't work blame somebody else....

Either that or the company responsible Realtek releases a patch to fix compatability problems at version 1.91 now.
ftp://202.65.194.212/pc/audio/R191_Readme.pdf

Quote:
So, why they will claim that it will work when it will not work then....

It does work, that bfellow hasn't gotten his to work is an issue with his setup, I would suggest he follow the knowledgebase instructions, they've been update with pictures, and most people's problems were solved with Realtek's 1.68 update.

Quote:
SO, WHOSE THE IGNORANT HERE wHO NEED TO DO MORE RESEARCHED ???

We've already established that's you who didn't even know you could do audio over DVI, which can be done on the GF8800GT as well but requires the external decoder input.
May 9, 2008 6:59:39 PM

Well I'll bump this back up for the OP to maybe answer the questions about the settings, but I would recommend he check the ATi/AMD knowledgebase that was updated at the beginning of the month with a few helpful hints (solve some people's problems, not others).

Anywhoo, without his participation over the weekend, I'll close the thread later.
May 27, 2008 11:57:43 PM

I have the same problem as nwagtmustang! I have the same video card as well(ATI HD 3650 card), connected it through HDMI/DVI cable! The picture on my 1080p is great, but no matter what i try, i still can hear no sound! First i installed the audio driver that came with the video card, according to the manufacturers website i have to change the default device in sound options to ATI HD Audio rear output and everything should magically work, but unfortunately it doesn't!! :(  After unsuccessfully playing around with my computers audio properties for an hour i found this forum! I went to Realtek website and downloaded ATI HDMI Audio Device Codecs, but they didnt work either! Neither did the Windows Hi Def driver they got on there!!! Im running XP if thats any help! Anyone got any suggestions?
May 28, 2008 12:13:45 AM

Using what app & content and plugged into what on the other end, an A/V system pass-through or a TV? It's a 1080P what, and how does it handle audio, PCM, 2.0, 2.1?
Also what settings, is downmix enabled?
May 28, 2008 12:36:19 AM

Using everything...winamp, media player, games!! Its plugged into an hdmi port on my Toshiba 42HL167 42" Regza 1080p LCD HDTV (sorry didnt mention that earlier)!! I know that i can set the optical output format on my tv to PCM, but i have no idea what it means and i dont know if it's a 2.0 or 2.1! I have no idea if downmixing is enabaled since i wouldnt know how to enable it or disable it for that matter :-(
!