Sign in with
Your question

Hard drives missing from Disk Managment

Last response: in Storage
June 24, 2009 1:51:25 PM

My hard drives all seem to be working fine, and they show up in My Computer and Device Manager, but not in Disk Management. The DVD/CD drives I have installed do, but none of the hard drives (I have 3 internal and 1 external connected).

The only thing I think that could possibly have caused this is my attempt to disable an old boot drive. After doing so in device manager, I tried restarting and everything seemed to fall apart. I finally had to start with "Last known configuration that worked", which brings me to where I am now. Any help would be much appreciated!
June 25, 2009 9:49:49 AM

Hi masurm, the only suggestion I have is that you disconnect all of your hard disks, and connect them one-by-one, starting with your current boot disk.

Then, after that, connect the next disk, and so on and so forth.
June 25, 2009 7:54:15 PM

Not to call you a liar, but I'm not sure how this is possible. Usually it's the opposite predicament (not showing up in my computer, but present in disk managment).

Are you sure you are looking in the right place in disk management? Could you have the HDD category minimized somehow?
Related resources
June 28, 2009 2:46:00 PM

Take a look....maybe I have the wrong thing open, but I'm pretty sure it's how I described. I'm going to try the connect, reconnect thing....but myriad46 you're right about it seeming impossible. It's making me very paranoid!

a c 127 G Storage
June 28, 2009 4:33:06 PM

Have you used any cloning on your disks? Windows does not allow two disks the exact same UUID (unique identifier label). So if you cloned a drive/partition you should only connect one of them at a time; two filesystems with the same UUID might cause windows to behave differently.
June 28, 2009 5:40:09 PM

no cloning however I think I'm getting to the source of the problem. I had my regular C drive installation but I suspected that the drive it was on was starting to fail, so I did a repair install on a new drive.

So now when I disconnected all but the new drive, the system wouldn't boot....said that there was no boot drive detected even though the drive was showing up in bios and listed at the top of the boot priority. So it seems the new install doesn't work without the old one present. And my guess is that explains why the disk management is messed up.

I really would like to avoid reinstalling Windows and all my software again (I have a ludicrous amount), but I'm afraid that is what needs to be done. Does anyone know how I can get this all sorted out so that my new drive is recognized as the only boot drive and I can delete the old installation?
a c 127 G Storage
June 28, 2009 6:27:53 PM

Just download GAG (graphical bootloader) and install it, then you can boot from your new HDD. Keep your old HDD disconnected during this. This should work without having you to re-install windows or loose any data.

GAG can be downloaded from:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gag/gag4_10.zip

Extract and burn the cdrom.iso file to an empty CD-R. Then boot from it, choose install and add your windows operating system. Any modification you make to the menu will have to be saved by going in the menu and press H (Save in Harddisk). Really its an easy GUI just follow the instructions.
June 28, 2009 6:34:29 PM

awesome, thanks for the tip...downloading now
June 29, 2009 5:22:31 PM

I installed GAG how you described (had old drive disconnected, saved it by hitting H, etc), but when I try to boot from the new OS, I get "NTLDR missing". Any ideas?
a c 127 G Storage
June 29, 2009 5:30:29 PM

Hm in that case the installation misses files; it copied those on the other drive likely.

So GAG is working, but Windows still can't boot because it needs files from the old drive. You should be able to fix this by leaving your old drive disconnected, boot from the windows setup cd/dvd and choose Repair Mode. You will be thrown to a DOS-like session, where you have options like /fixmbr and such. Those can re-install the boot files needed, without requiring you to re-install everything.
July 1, 2009 12:12:58 AM

I have just started to get the same problem as masurm73

I am running 3 hard drives. 2 SATA and one PATA. Up untill today, they were all visible in Disk Management.

All that is visible in Disk Management is my USB stick.

I am running VISTA Ultimate 32bit, with Service Pack 2.

The drives show in device Manager, but when I bring up Properties, Volume tab and click Populate, i get a message saying "Volume Information for this drive cannot be found" This message is displayed for all hard drives and for my DVD RW

I have never ever erver had to install any SATA drivers at all for this system, even with windows XP i never had to install SATA drivers. I have reinstalled all chipset drivers and have had no luck whatsoever

The only possible cause i can think of is that the Virtual Disk service is corrupted somehow

(While looking in Advanced System Settings, Startup and Recovery. i noticed that the Default operating system drop down box is blank)

Any help with this will be most apprieciated.
July 2, 2009 1:38:28 AM

sub mesa said:
You should be able to fix this by leaving your old drive disconnected, boot from the windows setup cd/dvd and choose Repair Mode. You will be thrown to a DOS-like session, where you have options like /fixmbr and such. Those can re-install the boot files needed, without requiring you to re-install everything.

I entered Recovery Console and typed 'fixmbr', but I get the following warning:

**CAUTION**

This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.
FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.
This could cause all the partitions on the current hard drisk to become inaccessible.
If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue.

.......That kind of scares me. Should I do it?
Also, what are the other 'options' you're referring to?
I'm a complete recovery console and DOS noob so please bare with me.

thanks so much for the help.
July 2, 2009 11:42:17 PM

does anyone have any ideas? I just want to make sure I don't block myself out from the hard drive by doing this.
July 6, 2009 1:41:54 PM

Windows XP
same thing with missing hdd-s in Disk Manager happen to me few days ago
still cant find solution
i didnt touch anything except install/uninstall Office 2007
all disk managers like Partition Magic cant "see" any hdd in Windows
Windows 7 rc wont upgrade this defect WinXP...
a c 127 G Storage
July 6, 2009 1:44:37 PM

The /fixmbr will overwrite GAG and replace it with Windows' own boot loader. But that may not be the problem, its likely the boot files on the system partition itself, use /fixboot for that. Microsoft says:

Quote:
FIXBOOT
fixboot drive name:
Use this command to write the new Windows boot sector code on the system partition. In the command syntax, drive name is the drive letter where the boot sector will be written. This command fixes damage in the Windows boot sector. This command overrides the default setting, which writes to the system boot partition. The fixboot command is supported only on x86-based computers.
FIXMBR
fixmbr device name
Use this command to repair the MBR of the boot partition. In the command syntax, device name is an optional device name that specifies the device that requires a new MBR. Use this command if a virus has damaged the MBR and Windows cannot start.
July 6, 2009 4:05:05 PM

Is there any possibility I could damage anything by doing this? I can't boot into my old installation (long story), so I want to delete it. However I really don't want to mess up the new install.

Will this reassign the new drive as 'C'? Right now my old boot is on 'C' and the new one is on 'K'.
July 8, 2009 1:03:57 AM

Could you please explain to me in layman's terms what FIXBOOT will do?

Will it reassign my new drive (K) as the C drive? If so, what will happen to my C drive when I reconnect it? Will I still need to run FIXMBR after running FIXBOOT? And do I still need to run the GAG utility after all this? thanks
a c 127 G Storage
July 8, 2009 1:06:30 AM

Just try the /fixboot and see if Windows boots now, leaving your old HDD disconnected. If Windows doesn't boot, try GAG again. Its worth a try, and shouldn't harm any data you have on the partition. I just recommend you leave the other HDD disconnected while performing this. And your drive may turn into C: i don't know how that works.
July 13, 2009 4:09:14 AM

Your problem probably is a rootkit virus. I just suffered through the same problem and searched everywhere for a solution. My symptoms were that device manager and explorer displayed the drives, but disk management was a complete blank for all drives (including cd roms). Chkdsk and defrag couldn't recognize any drives and system restore was not functional. Couldn't burn cds or dvds because no program could find a device to use; although, I could read cds and dvds, and the dvd drive displayed in the device manager, but I couldn't write to the device.

I tried several rootkit detectors, and the only one that found and eradicated the hidden files and registry entries was McAfee Rootkit Detective Version 1.1, which is a free beta release. It found the hidden files and registry entries in the first pass (about 10 minutes) and allowed me to rename the hidden files and remove the hidden registry entries (which by name were obviously associated with the hidden files -- all of which were named "higrui*.*" where the "*" was variable).

That resolved the problem, restored the visibility of my drives and partitions in disk management, restored functionality to checkdsk and defrag, and restored full access to my dvd drive. Go to the McAfee site and download the free and fully functional "Rootkit Detective" (you might have to search for it on the site, but it's there).
September 24, 2009 12:35:54 PM

Thank you very much gomez8!
That's work for me too! (but the file were other, any way, doesn't mater, it works!)
:bounce: 
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 3, 2010 5:51:57 AM

This also worked for me. Noticed I couldn't burn a cd or dvd cause my drives wouldn't be listed in Nero. Checked Disk Management and noticed all the drives were gone except my virtual drive.

HDD's worked ok.

Ran the McFee rootkit thingy and it found hidden registries and processes .....after deleting and renaming, reboot and Walla ! Drives are ok in Disk Management and now can burn in NERO.

Thanks for the help.
September 3, 2010 10:56:38 AM

i have it even worse,
i checked in my computer there is no icon, i checked in disk management its not there, i checked in device manager its also not there, i have a program that checks for the temperature of my hard drives, when i opened it, it also didn't show my hard drive, i have 3 internal hard drives, on 80GB and 160GB and 500GB, the 160GB is the one that im talking about and this hard drive doesnt run the windows, but has lots of important information and files
September 4, 2010 5:08:48 AM

its fixed now, my HDD was damaged by an outage in our home, i turned off my PC for 12 hours now my HDD works fine, and all the information on it was restored.
!