crossfire on sli mobo

prodigyk

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
well couple years ago i purchased an asus a8n deluxe mobo along with 7900 graphic card but i end up selling the graphic to my older brother and gotten me 1900xtx and i recently got a deal on another 1900xtx so i was wondering can you crossfire it on asus a8n deluxe?...i also read couple forums saying that you can and you need a hacked driver and something about the catalyst will pick it up if you do...not sure about it i haven't tried to install the card...

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Never actually heard that it worked. But to help you on your quest. I think (fuzzy memory) that it was HP that produced a bios that would work with both for their high end line....

good luck

endyen

Splendid

Crossfire was originally designed to run on the NF4 chipset. That's about as far as it got, I think.
Crossfire uses a north bridge link to connect the two cards (called peer to peer), while SLI uses an external cable.
With your board it is suposed to be possible to get the bios to activate an internal bridge to enable crossfire, but there seem to be few (none?) who have suceeded.
If you are a major bios hacker, you might try to go for it, but there is no known patch AFAIK.

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Hp and I think they said Gateway (but not sure) have computers with the Nvidia chipset running crossfire. The drivers are Custom from AMD. AMD says they won't publicize them because of reliablity reasons or some crap.
I wonder if a guy could dl the driver from HP or whoever and tweek it so you can install it. I wanted to update the the video driver in a Dell laptop once. The driver from ATI's website would not install. I got a program online that modified the driver somehow so it would. I wonder if that program or something similar would work for you. Hmm. The one I used is called HDmodtool.
Let me know, I have an Nvidia 590 board that I would like to run Crossfire on. If I can find somebody to buy my 8800 gtx oc2's.

prodigyk

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
well i heard bout it...and did some more research today and couple other forum said you can just do it without anything just install with 2 pcie slots...i'm giving it a shot tonight and see how it goes and i'll keep ya guys update bout it....how much you're selling your 8800gtx for inglburt =)

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I have 2 of them in sli. Waiting to see what the 48xx series looks like. Make me an offer. Personally I would rather have one card than 2.

Security

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
I did found something about running SLI on a Crossfire MoBo but nothing about it the other way around.
When I am at home I shall look if I can still have/find the site.