Help! Questions on after format/reboot computer

13ilbo

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Hi!
I just rebooted/formated my computer to erase everything on it and get it completely clean.
I've got Vista 32bit.
Did as usual, put in the vista installation disc and restarted computer and followed the steps. Anyhows in the procedure it said it wouldn't keep old files and such as. That was also what I hoped since I wanted it completely clean. However it also said it would copy old files to a new map called windows.old
Wich it apparently did, everything looks like when it's brand-new except for the fact that I have only gotten 163gig free out of 465gig.
I found the windows.old map though.
And in it was everything that was before the format, including operative system and all programs (practically whole C)
But I want the computer clean so can i remove whole that map and everything will be ok or shall I remove it then format again or what should I do?

Also have i formated it the wrong way or is this normal?

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
There are several ways to accomplish what you are asking to do.
1. You could run a debug script on the hard drive to "clear" the boot sector of the drive.

2. Get the manufacturer's disk utilities and "write zeros" to the drive.

3. Pop in a win 98 disc and open up Fdisk and remove the partitions on the drive.

4. Use some freeware to wipe the drive

I know that there are many other ways to do this but IMHO the fastest way is with a win 98 disc...... You will have to re-install your OS after the drive wipe.......

None of these above solutions actually "wipe the drive" (they just "clear" the MBR) except 2 or possibly 4 depending on the utility but the data may be recoverable if it is desired. There are several utilities out there that can securely "wipe" the drive but if you want just to have a "blank" drive to install the OS on any of the above will work. Good luck!