Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How do I tell if I have AGP, PCI, or PCI-E?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 30, 2008 7:29:16 PM

Looking to upgrade my graphics card, and found the nice list stickied on top of the board. However, I'm wondering how I find out which type of card my mother board supports. Do I have to physically open my case and look at the slots? If so, what am I looking for?

TIA

- Guitarguru77

More about : agp pci pci

a c 271 U Graphics card
April 30, 2008 7:35:13 PM

guitarguru77 said:
Looking to upgrade my graphics card, and found the nice list stickied on top of the board. However, I'm wondering how I find out which type of card my mother board supports. Do I have to physically open my case and look at the slots? If so, what am I looking for?

TIA

- Guitarguru77

Download and run CPU-Z and click the 'Mainboard' tab.
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
April 30, 2008 7:47:46 PM

My pleasure, hope it helps.
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2008 1:31:31 AM

@mousemonkey

Hi Al
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2008 2:04:01 AM

@guitarguru77

Quote:
Do I have to physically open my case and look at the slots? If so, what am I looking for?

You do realize that opening the case will be required to install your new video card? Right?

Sorry couldn't resist! LOL

PCI-E slot is located apprx. 1 1/2" from the M/B edge and slot is apprx. 4" long including the locking tabs
AGP slot is located apprx. 2 3/8" from the M/B edge and slot is apprx. 3" long
PCI slot is also 1 1/2" in from the M/B edge but the length is 3 1/4"

Another thing you may need to take into consideration besides M/B slots, is will your present Power Supply handle what you want to upgrade to?

So what are your full specs?

And are we talking Dell, Gateway, HP ??? Etc. if it is a brand name PC what brand and model #.

You may as well start self educating yourself on these things unless you'll be getting someone else to do it for you.

However there are a few here that will help you if you plan on doing it yourself.
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 1, 2008 5:29:13 PM

@4ryan6
Hi Ry, hope all is well with you my friend.
May 9, 2008 5:47:19 PM

Hi 4ryan6,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away the past week.

I do realize I need to open my case to install lol. I just wanted to avoid any unnecessary hassles. Anyways, I'm using a brand name computer that I haven't put any upgrades into. It's an HP Prod# EL478aa. I'm not sure what other info I can supply you with... I'm not too tech savy. I never considered my Power Supply needing an upgrade, I always just thought it was the 'thing that plugs into the wall.' LOL
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2009 11:52:02 PM

i dled the cpu and i clicked on motherboard where does it say what u have pci-e, pci or agp?
February 15, 2010 10:52:25 PM

I downloaded several of these program, but this one shows you the slots:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/433-everest-ultimate-...

After installation, go to "Computer" then "DMI" then "System Slots."

The trial version doesn't show everything, but it does show the slot info, and most everything else.

I love the way this page keeps refreshing itself so I have to write this message 5 times...
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 15, 2010 11:16:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!