How do I tell if I have AGP, PCI, or PCI-E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguru77

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Looking to upgrade my graphics card, and found the nice list stickied on top of the board. However, I'm wondering how I find out which type of card my mother board supports. Do I have to physically open my case and look at the slots? If so, what am I looking for?

TIA

- Guitarguru77

Download and run CPU-Z and click the 'Mainboard' tab.
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

@guitarguru77

Do I have to physically open my case and look at the slots? If so, what am I looking for?

You do realize that opening the case will be required to install your new video card? Right?

Sorry couldn't resist! LOL

PCI-E slot is located apprx. 1 1/2" from the M/B edge and slot is apprx. 4" long including the locking tabs
AGP slot is located apprx. 2 3/8" from the M/B edge and slot is apprx. 3" long
PCI slot is also 1 1/2" in from the M/B edge but the length is 3 1/4"

Another thing you may need to take into consideration besides M/B slots, is will your present Power Supply handle what you want to upgrade to?

So what are your full specs?

And are we talking Dell, Gateway, HP ??? Etc. if it is a brand name PC what brand and model #.

You may as well start self educating yourself on these things unless you'll be getting someone else to do it for you.

However there are a few here that will help you if you plan on doing it yourself.

guitarguru77

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Hi 4ryan6,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away the past week.

I do realize I need to open my case to install lol. I just wanted to avoid any unnecessary hassles. Anyways, I'm using a brand name computer that I haven't put any upgrades into. It's an HP Prod# EL478aa. I'm not sure what other info I can supply you with... I'm not too tech savy. I never considered my Power Supply needing an upgrade, I always just thought it was the 'thing that plugs into the wall.' LOL

G

i dled the cpu and i clicked on motherboard where does it say what u have pci-e, pci or agp?

Status
Not open for further replies.