Problems with ASUS 9600 GT

vrata68

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Hi, i bought ASUS 9600 GT graphic card today and when i started to install drivers i got BSD. Now everytime i reboot 640x480 is somehow corrupted (dots displayed over text in BIOS for example) and every attempt to install drivers leads to BSD. I even tried older drivers but with same result. Problem is that corrupted text did not appear when i started PC with new card for the first time - it seems that something happened during drivers installation. I tested card in other PC but with same result.

What i should do is to try to get new card... but how can i be sure that same problem will not appear again? Is there any chance that my motherboard caused this? To be honest, some time ago i have graphic card in my PC which also had problems in higher resoultions (dots over screen but without BSD) - card was damaged by accidental shortage. I just hope i did not damaged something on my motherboard by using this card and this something is now responsible for my problems...

Does anyone have any ideas?

However, i have ASUS P5K-VM, E8200, Fortron 350W, 1 SATA harddrive and 4GB RAM... (using integrated graphic card is ok, also ASUS NV 6200 LE works fine in PCI-E).

Thanks in advance!

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Does your power supply have a PCIE 6-pin connection that supplies your 9600 with juice? Every high-end video card requires supplemental power directly from the power supply because the power drawn from the PCIE slot is not enough. I didn't think any of the lower wattage Forton PSUs had PCIE connectors.

My 8800 had similar issues when my power supply started failing, BSOD on installing drivers. What kind of power supply was in the other system you tested the card in?

rsetter1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Who made the Graphic chip on your MB, intell?
Your new card is nvidia.
You might have a conflict with the video drivers.
Uninstall and disable your onboard graphic driver.
Now try a clean install of the nvidia driver.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
Make sure you unistall video driver first before installing. You might need to use a program like driver cleaner pro to make sure it removes all traces of the previous drivers. It free and you can download it from 3dguru.