Closed

If I overcharge my laptop battery, will the life span decrease?

First it’s important to understand what overcharging is:
Over-charging occurs when the charger keeps the battery at a temperature that is warm to touch (body temperature) while in ready condition.
Li-Ion laptop batteries have built-in controller chips which prevent it from overcharging, as they can explode if overcharged. Overcharging does not affect the life span other than potentially destroying the battery.
A lithium-based battery should never be allowed to get warm in a charger. If you have this happen, the battery is no good or the charger is not working properly. Don’t continue to use the battery or charger if this happens.
A Lithium-ion battery may be damaged by extensive overcharging (continuously on a charger for more than 24 hours). Damage to the battery from overcharging would only occur in the very unlikely event of a malfunction of the charging system.
8 answers Last reply
More about overcharge laptop battery life span decrease
  1. lynn0917 said:
    First it’s important to understand what overcharging is:
    Over-charging occurs when the charger keeps the battery at a temperature that is warm to touch (body temperature) while in ready condition.
    Li-Ion laptop batteries have built-in controller chips which prevent it from overcharging, as they can explode if overcharged. Overcharging does not affect the life span other than potentially destroying the battery.
    A lithium-based battery should never be allowed to get warm in a charger. If you have this happen, the battery is no good or the charger is not working properly. Don’t continue to use the battery or charger if this happens.
    A Lithium-ion battery may be damaged by extensive overcharging (continuously on a charger for more than 24 hours). Damage to the battery from overcharging would only occur in the very unlikely event of a malfunction of the charging system.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh huh........ do you want a medal?

my G7 and phones have Li-Ion batteries and i leave them on charge at home - no issues because they stop charging when there 'full' same as laptops etc
  2. Well, in my experience with laptops and other rechargable stuff, leaving them plugged in all the time does seem to shorten the battery life (not a very scientific statement, I know). Li-polymer stuff doesn't like to be fully discharged either.

Can I have a medal too please apache :-D
  3. Quote:
    shiny!

Medals for everyone!
  4. violet said:
    SPAM REDACTED - SS

Overclocking for batteries? Sounds about right - generating excessive heat, shortens life span etc if done wrong :D
  5. Yes. Overcharging a lithium ion battery will kill battery life. It happened to my:

1. IBM ThinkPad T40 battery

2. Gyration Air Mouse
  6. What is this even...
  7. Same thing iwondered!
  8. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Battery Laptop Battery Temperature Components