Sign in with
Your question
Closed

If I overcharge my laptop battery, will the life span decrease?

Last response: in Components
May 20, 2008 8:02:58 AM

First it’s important to understand what overcharging is:
Over-charging occurs when the charger keeps the battery at a temperature that is warm to touch (body temperature) while in ready condition.
Li-Ion laptop batteries have built-in controller chips which prevent it from overcharging, as they can explode if overcharged. Overcharging does not affect the life span other than potentially destroying the battery.
A lithium-based battery should never be allowed to get warm in a charger. If you have this happen, the battery is no good or the charger is not working properly. Don’t continue to use the battery or charger if this happens.
A Lithium-ion battery may be damaged by extensive overcharging (continuously on a charger for more than 24 hours). Damage to the battery from overcharging would only occur in the very unlikely event of a malfunction of the charging system.
May 20, 2008 9:35:12 AM

lynn0917 said:
First it’s important to understand what overcharging is:
Over-charging occurs when the charger keeps the battery at a temperature that is warm to touch (body temperature) while in ready condition.
Li-Ion laptop batteries have built-in controller chips which prevent it from overcharging, as they can explode if overcharged. Overcharging does not affect the life span other than potentially destroying the battery.
A lithium-based battery should never be allowed to get warm in a charger. If you have this happen, the battery is no good or the charger is not working properly. Don’t continue to use the battery or charger if this happens.
A Lithium-ion battery may be damaged by extensive overcharging (continuously on a charger for more than 24 hours). Damage to the battery from overcharging would only occur in the very unlikely event of a malfunction of the charging system.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh huh........ do you want a medal?

my G7 and phones have Li-Ion batteries and i leave them on charge at home - no issues because they stop charging when there 'full' same as laptops etc
May 20, 2008 9:43:34 AM

Well, in my experience with laptops and other rechargable stuff, leaving them plugged in all the time does seem to shorten the battery life (not a very scientific statement, I know). Li-polymer stuff doesn't like to be fully discharged either.

Can I have a medal too please apache :-D
Related resources
May 20, 2008 10:06:28 AM

Quote:
shiny!

Medals for everyone!
May 24, 2008 2:57:29 AM

what is Overcharge? The forcing of current through a cell after all the active material has been converted to the charged state, that is, continued charging after reaching 100 percent state-of-charge.

resources:http://www.laptopbatterymart.com/battery-glossary.htm
May 26, 2008 8:13:44 AM

violet said:
what is Overcharge? The forcing of current through a cell after all the active material has been converted to the charged state, that is, continued charging after reaching 100 percent state-of-charge.

resources:http://www.laptopbatterymart.com/battery-glossary.htm

Overclocking for batteries? Sounds about right - generating excessive heat, shortens life span etc if done wrong :D 
a b ) Power supply
May 27, 2008 12:24:58 AM

Yes. Overcharging a lithium ion battery will kill battery life. It happened to my:

1. IBM ThinkPad T40 battery

2. Gyration Air Mouse
October 16, 2008 6:42:52 AM

Don't overcharge your laptop battery,especially with older technologies,it's good idea to avoid overcharging your batteries everytime.Very hot or cold conditions can affect a battery's performance and in some cases can even cause permanent damage.Keep in mind that a laptop computer battery should be stored in a cool,clean,dry place when it is not in use.If possible,keep your rechargeable battery in the car with the heater or cooler running until you need it.

resources: http://www.buy-batteries.net/battery-laptop.html
a b ) Power supply
October 15, 2010 5:38:46 AM

What is this even...
a b ) Power supply
October 15, 2010 3:10:28 PM

Same thing iwondered!
a b ) Power supply
October 15, 2010 3:51:46 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!