jt78963

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hi all. Just before I formatted and reinstalled Vista, I backed up some things onto my 40GB Maxtor IDE drive. This was working fine before. Now, I am trying to retrieve the files but when I put the power cable in, it doesn't spin up. As far as I can tell it doesn't even make a noise. I have tried other molex connectors, but the drive still wont work.

Is there anything I can do to get my data back? Theres nothing important on there, just my Football Manager save and a few downloaded TV series.

jt78963

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I may have done in the past, but I don't think I did this time. When it's not being used I normally keep it out of the case in my desk. This time though I kept it inside the case and left everything connected. I first thought something was wrong when I checked Computer to see if it was there immediately after the new install, and it wasn't. I checked the BIOS and it wasn't being detected there either. I then felt the drive to see if it was on but couldn't be sure because my main hard drive causes the others to vibrate. I took it out of my computer and the connected the molex, but it didn't spin up or do anything infact.

Hope that clears things up.