SATA Raid between Ich5r and ICH9R

Virtual_Digit

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Good afternoon,

Well after 5 years its time to upgrade my old system.
I'm upgrading from a Chaintech 9cJS Zenith motherboard with 2 G of memory.
It has the Intel 875 Chipset with and a ICH5R, with onboard SATA raid controller.
I'm upgrading to an e8400 on an ASUS Rampage with the Ich9R Southbridge with onboard Raid.
Being that my both of these Raid Controllers were Intel, Will my existing Raid be compatible?
Anyone know for sure?

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
Well you have 2 things to consider here. The first is will the 9 controller read the metadata of the 5, it most likely will. That would mean the RAID array is in tact. However even if it is that does not mean that your OS installation would "work". You might need to do a repair installation of windows, and while this works most of the time, sometimes it does not work. Bottom line is make sure you do a really good backup before you start.

With all that said, you are still better off with a fresh load when changing a motherboard. In that case it would not matter if you have to recreate the array. If it were me I would load it fresh.

Virtual_Digit

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Thanks for the quick Reply Razor, My old system is rock solid but only supports 2 sata drives, as these are in a RAID 0 configuration, it appears I willbe buying an in expensive external USB to backup to. As the inexpensive external drive will pretty much be for backups only, i was hopeing that my DATA would still be intact. I read that I might be able to load the new system board drivers prio to the build and actually get a boot in the new build. 5 years on a prescott 3.1 gig, I'll miss my old friend.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Acronis is very good at taking images, and then xferring them to new drives. It's not cheap, but it's not your 'two arms and a leg' Norton ghost, either.

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007

The only driver that would matter would of course be the ICH9R driver. But remember that the addressing of the hardware is going to change. So even if you have a driver for the controller the OS still needs to not only find it but also boot from it. You could play around with the recovery console and the bootcfg command if that happens.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

Or just do a repair install. Im basically giving you worst case here. Your OS might come up and everything will be fine considering the controllers are the same just different generations. No matter what just make sure to back up everything first.

TRENDING THREADS