What's important in an LCD?

bravesirrobin

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Hey guys, I currently have a 17-in CRT, and I'd like to upgrade to something like a 19-in widescreen LCD this summer in order to get a bit more screen (and desk) real estate. What specs are more important than others (contrast ratio vs nits vs resolution vs response time?). What should I be shooting for in each of these?

I like to game (but I'm not a hardcore gamer), I fool around with Paint Shop Pro (but for accurate colors I'll probably stick with my CRT?), and I watch videos. What kind of specs should a display have for my general needs?

Thanks for your time!

(How come there's no subsection for "displays" in the "graphics and displays" forum? Hmmm... :??: )

best bet is to see some screens in person and play about with them, try to find a store with a range of brands and test them then look at the specs and get an idea of what each will look like if you bought them from the net. only real way.

I agree with strangestranger,
Read some online reviews get an idea of what does what, most online stores have customers reviews to get some feed back from. When you are happy you have at least half an idea whats good and whats bad, whats needed and whats not do like stranger says. Go to more than one shop look around and have a fiddle.
You may be able to buy the screen you like in the shop on line cheaper, but without seeing them first hand Image quality, colour, contrast, gloss or non gloss screen will all have to be taken on trust.
Mactronix

bravesirrobin

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Good idea guys... I haven't done a lot of window shopping recently, as my nearest "best" buy doesn't have as much as I'd hoped for.

I guess it's just up to scouting out a few other stores in the area!

A "bit more" is right. Compared to a 17" 1280x1024 monitor (CRT or LCD) a 19" 1440x900 monitor has just less than 2% more pixels (spread over a slightly larger screen of course). Do the math - multiply the horizontal x vertical pixels for each. Desk real estate is where you do get a the biggest bonus.
Be sure the check the differences in price between 19", 20" and 22" - they're not all that much different.
Acer 19" - 22" LCD widescreens

bravesirrobin

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Yeah, I'd heard that that they were technically only slightly bigger, but the widescreen tricks my foolish brain into thinking that it's much larger. But $10-20 for a larger monitor? Not bad! I'll be sure not to limit my choices before I make my purchase. Thanks, WR2!

@WR2
Correct me if i am wrong but i dont think that is technically accurate but i guess there is some disparity depending on make and model but i think you may have fell into the trap of assuming the pixelsize and density are the same which of course they are not. Any way the pixels have nothing to do with the fact that the screen will physically be 19% bigger than his 17" screen.
Typically (again there will be differances) a 17" 1280x1040 will actually have more actual pixels than the 1440x900 screen, 1.25MP compared to 1.24MP this is due to the pixel size being larger and therefore less dense.
Just posted as from his last reply bravesirrobin seems to have missed the bit about real estate and taken your post to mean there wont be much differance full stop.
Mactronix

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
At this point, wide screen isn't ideal for gaming. Most games still only has only one resolution setting for wide screen. Older games often do not support it at all. It's getting better, of course, as wide screens become more mainstream.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I tend to disagree, WS imo is the only way to game. And there is a lot of games that supports WS. I think even as far back as Rome Total War.

Yeah games like warcraft 3 etc don't support it, but look just fine on my WS. It honestly doesn't even looked that stretched at all.

Bioshock, Oblivion, WoW, Crysis, COD4, Half-Life (except the original), etc all support WS.

And i think the reason for some games only allowing one WS resolution, is it auto detects your screens native resolution and leaves it at that.

When i'm doing stuff on my other computers i get this cramped tunnel vision like feeling.

But to each his/her own.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

That's only because you're used to it. :p

Widescreen is for media centers playing wide screen movies. It wasn't meant for gaming in the first place. Of course, it'll work fine if the game supports it, it's just that it wasn't meant for that purpose.

bravesirrobin

Distinguished
May 1, 2008

I've been getting that feeling more and more, recently -- I'm getting ready to build a new system this summer and I'm trying to get all my bases covered. A nice, new system just won't have as much "wow" if I keep my aged peripherals.

I expect to be frequenting these forums a lot for help when I finally purchase my build. I've already been lurking for many moons, and know this place is chock-full of help. :D

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
for what you wanting i would also like to recommend a widescreen monitor, a 21" to 24" WS should be enough and its not just for gaming if you watch videos on you PC then the bigger screen really helps alot, also if you use paint shop pro often or Photoshop then a widescreen lets you spread out all your tools and view more of what you are working on or alternatively do the same as me and have a movie in one half of the screen and photoshop in the other.

recommended makes:

LG
Dell - make sure you read reviews dell likes to update there monitors, my old 21" has 4 inputs and good colours, whereas the New 21" only have one input and the colours arnt as good.
Samsung

p.s

i also disagree with dagger, theres only a few games in my collection that do not support widescreen - all 3 hitman, Dawn of War (and expansion), BF2.

then theres the ones that dont support it natively but you can edit a cfg setting- FEAR.

the rest of my games are fine and i have over 70.

Correct. I had the 2% pixel difference the wrong way. 1280x1024 is actually 2% more than 1440x900 widescreen.
On the other hand most of us are more comfortable working side-by-side windows in multitasking than in verticle windows.
Thats probably why the 19" widescreen seems larger.

@ bravesirrobin
lucuis & Flakes are right about widescreen gaming. At worst you'll need to run older games in windowed mode in a resolution the game supports like 1280x1024 (1280x1024 window in a 1680x1050 20" or 22" monitor for example). Even a lot of the older games have tweaks & tips that can make older games play nice on WS monitors. http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/ Check the GAMES LIST for your favorites.

Some of the nicer features found on some monitors: Height, tilt and pivot adjustments. USB ports (my favorite option).
If you narrow down your choices to just a few try and find website reviews on them if you can see them in person.

bravesirrobin

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Thanks for the help, guys! I'm gonna be checking out the stores tomorrow when the new sales ads come out -- I'll try to find something I like thats well reviewed (and has no dead pixels!).