Notebook or Desktop?

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
for college, i would sudgest a laptop with ease. that way you can go to starbucks or someplace like that and have all your work with you.

I never once used my laptop in the dorms, It was way better to have my PC (for a few reasons)

Hella more storage for TV shows, music, movies
less chance of it getting stolen (laptops DO get stolen)
GAMES!!! I mean... powerpoint and writing term papers...
I like to tinker

Anyway... my suggestion: Go a week in the dorms without a computer and decide what you want then.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I would get a $500ish laptop for travel, and build a $1000 or less desktop for dorm. Best of both worlds.

You could sync up every night and have a backup of school work if something happened to the laptop.

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008

This is exactly what I do... works out well. Plus it is a really great experience to build a computer!

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
If you can aford it I would go with both at roadrun said. You definitly will want a laptop for college. 2 years ago I took a class and a laptop was required just to let you know. Also if you type reasonably fast there may be some classes where typing is much more efficient than trying to write things down. Some semesters I find I take my laptop everyday sometimes I hardly ever take it depends on my classes. I'm debating on buying the gateway the only thing I don't like about it is size. My current laptop is 14inch and only 5lbs.
I will say 600-800 on a laptop and 800-1000 on a pc is not a bad idea unless you really want mobile gaming.

hibbiejibbie3

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I appreciate all the response. I'll see what I can do about getting both a laptop and a desktop. If not then I'll probably get the laptop. The only reason I was choosing the laptop mentioned was if I was going to get a laptop and not a desktop, I want one that will play games and the one I mentioned does pretty well at a good cost.

So thanks guys for the input. :]

TRENDING THREADS