Sign in with
Your question

Good God, Graphics Cards Now Haunt My Dreams

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 1, 2008 4:18:23 PM

While my girlfriend was having an unpleasant nightmare about spiders crawling all over her, I was having a dream that, after the fact, is a bit more disturbing. Apparently the 9900's had come out and I had procured two of them. Crysis was topping 121 fps. I was so damn happy, then sad when I woke up and it wasn't true, then even more sad when I realized I now dream about video cards. I need to go camping or something.
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2008 4:29:28 PM

Dont forget the fishing rods
May 1, 2008 4:31:49 PM

Lol, that's not too bad, I had a dream about overclocking my q6600!
Related resources
May 1, 2008 4:34:27 PM

LOL, for your girl camping and spiders won't mix but you definately need to hit the beach or a ball game, or the zoo or something.
May 1, 2008 4:54:50 PM

I think we all do that. I tend to dream up tactics on BF2 constantly, and slow the godly shots i take :) . Now thats sad!!
May 1, 2008 7:59:14 PM

scooterlibby said:
While my girlfriend was having an unpleasant nightmare about spiders crawling all over her, I was having a dream that, after the fact, is a bit more disturbing. Apparently the 9900's had come out and I had procured two of them. Crysis was topping 121 fps. I was so damn happy, then sad when I woke up and it wasn't true, then even more sad when I realized I now dream about video cards. I need to go camping or something.

I've had that dream before... :( 
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2008 9:08:51 PM

Yeah, I hate dreams like that.
May 1, 2008 9:22:00 PM

Thats ok mate, we all have weird dreams. I dreamt that Bill got a nobel prize for designing Vista.

Read up on Interpretation of dreams by Sigmond Froid.
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 1, 2008 10:25:05 PM

lol Sigmund Freud FTW

but seriously Freud and his views are getting a tad old by now :/ 
May 1, 2008 10:32:49 PM

I dream about both spiders and video cards. :p 
May 1, 2008 10:37:00 PM

Obviously, this means that the 9900s are gonna own any game.
May 1, 2008 10:45:07 PM

Dream interpretation 1: Your GF needs you to spend more time with her.
Dream interpretation 2: You need to spend more time with your GF.
May 1, 2008 10:53:47 PM

rsetter1 said:
Dream interpretation 1: Your GF needs you to spend more time with her.
Dream interpretation 2: You need to spend more time with your GF.

Spend more time with your video card instead. :na: 
May 1, 2008 10:55:42 PM

rsetter1 said:
Dream interpretation 1: Your G(e)F(orce) needs you to spend more time with her.
Dream interpretation 2: You need to spend more time with your G(e)F(orce).

May 1, 2008 11:11:51 PM

HaaHaHaHa.
May 2, 2008 3:39:24 AM

When I play late into the night I will get those BF dreams too. Sad indeed. I had a horrible one about getting knifed after playing a long night of knife only servers. Strangely there is never blood...
May 2, 2008 4:14:31 AM

You sure that having a girlfriend wasn't a dream too??
May 2, 2008 12:12:44 PM

Belinda said:
You sure that having a girlfriend wasn't a dream too??

She might be the one who knifed you. :na: 
May 2, 2008 12:14:14 PM

thats happened to me before... except it was more negative.. lol
May 2, 2008 1:41:59 PM

well in computer terms, Dreams are caused when your brain is doing a disk defrag, it is said that when the brain is sorting things out we dream about those things, thats why dreams dont make sense they are made up from experiances/feelings that we have had in the past...

so for example your dream is made up of two things, the excitment of having a new graphics card(which has probably happened to you in the past, or you have seen someone in the same state), put together with a likely card for Nvidia to upgrade too through rumors...

this is how we have deja vu, say you dream that you are taking a test and one of the questions, happens to pop up on the Real test, this is because you are stressed about the test and probably have read a similiar question before in a mock exam, you just dont remember properly so you jump to the conclusion of Deja Vu or in extreme cases that you predicted the future(which is bollox)
May 2, 2008 5:22:05 PM

Flakes said:

this is how we have deja vu, say you dream that you are taking a test and one of the questions, happens to pop up on the Real test, this is because you are stressed about the test and probably have read a similiar question before in a mock exam, you just dont remember properly so you jump to the conclusion of Deja Vu or in extreme cases that you predicted the future(which is bollox)

I though deja vu was a glitch in the system when they make a change to the matrix....

No seriously though, I think deja vu is something more than just having dreamt about a scenario before hand or having a coincidental reoccurrence. I have had deja vu at places that I have never been to nor seen in a picture before.

There are no scientific studies supporting this that I know of but I think that when deja vu occurs, something with our memory processing and perception of time alters to where we are remembering and processing a scenario at the same time for a split second. Therefore, it feels like you are remembering something as you are seeing it.

Next time you get deja vu pay attention to how your perception of time changes. It isn't the same as when you are just recalling a dream or something else from your memory. The way that we feel time is completely up to our brains. IE, certain drugs or activities alter our perception of time...it can speed up and slow down. Certain drugs also alter our memory, for better and for worse. The brain does some amazing things that I could go on and on about but I don’t buy into the deja vu coming from a stored memory.
May 6, 2008 6:57:32 AM

well its not from just one memory..

its from many, like i said a dream is a defrag our brain processes lots of memorys at once, those memorys mix together to create a dream, so when we dream its lots of memorys put together.

i can garantee that the OP would of had Deja vu from the dream they described if Nvidia brought out the 9900 and he bought one, the feelings and emotions would be the same as the dream. unfortunatly now that he wrote this thread he wont forgot about the dream and therefore the feeling of deja vu is spoilt.
May 6, 2008 9:18:51 AM

Flakes said:
well its not from just one memory..

its from many, like i said a dream is a defrag our brain processes lots of memorys at once, those memorys mix together to create a dream, so when we dream its lots of memorys put together.

i can garantee that the OP would of had Deja vu from the dream they described if Nvidia brought out the 9900 and he bought one, the feelings and emotions would be the same as the dream. unfortunatly now that he wrote this thread he wont forgot about the dream and therefore the feeling of deja vu is spoilt.

I never have "waking" deja vu experiences as far as I know, However I am particularly given to lucid dreaming, how does that effect the defrag process when you are at least partially conscious and semi in control of a dream. I think the only time I experience Deja vu "feelings" is in dreams when I recognise a place as being a certain location even though it looks nothing like that location in real life...

Personally I love dreaming but consciousness during sleep is a very slippery thing... Even once conscious to the degree I "know" that Im dreaming, I cant always wrestle events to my complete control, sometimes I can "lose the plot" and slip back into full dream mode, sometimes I am merely a conscious wanderer in a "prelaid dream" some times Im spooked by something in a dream and try to fight my way to wakefullness, sometimes I am aware that something is a dream but morality and normality parts of consciousness are switched off, sometimes they are in place. The mind is a wonderfully weird place to go exploring, I can also write off the old notions that if you die in your dream you die in life, its not true :D  Ive died a few times in dreams...

Oddly the most controlleable of dreams generally come about early morning when Ive woken up and try to go back to sleep, the entry to those dreams can be "terrifying" but somehow more consciousness and control is preserved in these, Theres a distinct "out of body" feeling to approaching these sorts of dreams normally an unexplained terror and feeling of presence of horror, just at the threshhold to the dream... I think its all part of the chemical effects of entering sleep on the brain gives all these weird effects to a conscious mind, but then once the entry to the dream is over I tend to find myself in my bedroom in "full control" of a dream able to reorder things as I see fit and to control scenes and events completely... Very cool and worth the bumpy entry :D 

I also have a tendancy to "challenge" fears in dreams, Ghosts, demons etc, I might quake with fear as they appear but I tend to summon the courage to face them down, normally theres a weird mixing of consciousness to this as well, as my shout as I face these things down in the dream tend to escape in real life waking up my wife... but I think the sleep \ wake barriers may be particularly weak in my case as I was known to sleep walk in younger years, and to do other stuff whilst very much asleep in adult life :lol: 

There also the classic "waking whilst asleep" dreams as well, when you think youve woken from a dream and havent, those can go several levels "deep" "oh that was just a dream as well" thank goodness for that... Now why cant I read this book the words arent staying place :lol: 

But err Ive never dreamed about a new graphics card, I think you may need to seek professional help thats plain abnormal :kaola:  :lol: 
May 6, 2008 10:03:11 AM

lol, nice post ^^ i only get my info from BBC documentary's, if you sleepwalk its actually caused by being in DEEP sleep, not the other way on..

its caused by a chemical imbalance, when we sleep the brain releases its own drug into our system which temporarily paralises the body preventing us from most movements, a sleepwalker does not release this drug and therefore the side effect is being able to get up and walk around.

its also strange how different sounds can effect your dreams, if you go into your deep sleep and a seagull starts to make some noise outside you will probably start dreaming about the beach(or an likely event that you associate with that noise).....

it is strange, when i was younger i could control some of my dreams, it helped me avoid many a nightmare by simply giving myself a gun to kill the demons with.
May 6, 2008 10:43:54 AM

Flakes said:
lol, nice post ^^ i only get my info from BBC documentary's, if you sleepwalk its actually caused by being in DEEP sleep, not the other way on..

its caused by a chemical imbalance, when we sleep the brain releases its own drug into our system which temporarily paralises the body preventing us from most movements, a sleepwalker does not release this drug and therefore the side effect is being able to get up and walk around.

its also strange how different sounds can effect your dreams, if you go into your deep sleep and a seagull starts to make some noise outside you will probably start dreaming about the beach(or an likely event that you associate with that noise).....

it is strange, when i was younger i could control some of my dreams, it helped me avoid many a nightmare by simply giving myself a gun to kill the demons with.

I think most of my sleep walking \ movements are very definetely associated with corresponding dreams which I didnt think was a feature of deep sleep?

I remember back when I used a watch alarm to wake me up for work, it wasnt loud enough to wake me through shock, but It often worked its way into dreams until I would come to the realisation within the dream that it was the alarm and it was time to wake up :D  I also remember setting the starwars theme on repeat over night to try to get more starwars related dreams, it worked a few times. I can also tell you that "moods" type music, enigma and jan michel jarre etc can induce some very nasty dreams... Theres also some very wierd Audio sensations that I associate with certain consciousness change with dreams some sort of wind in the air pressure change thud \ squeal rushing combination that can sometimes hit me as I have a very weird entry to some dreaming states (normally the out of body type entry ones)

I have many times pushed myself to the limits of wakefulness as well (sleep deprivation) and found my mind wandering strange paths whilst my body is still awake as well, I can start to talk gibberish, sometimes coherent with recogniseable words but no real plot etc, and at those sort of times I get similiar audio sensations. Of course there was this one time I woke with my car on the central reservation armco doing 80mph... :o  Sometimes on the extreme ends of mental tiredness the brain does a weird mini sleep thing like a computer constantly rebooting itself as well

When you get more used to controlling you dreams you dont need a gun :D  I do find practise helps me gain stronger control of dreams and helps to drag me to a more conscious state. I think the key is always in recgnising that you are in a dream, once you have made that realisation you then have to fight quite hard to hold it and to control it. Things that can trigger this realisation for me are things like reading and the words are all confusing and out of order and dont say the same thing when you attempt to re read the page. bizare, but that nowdays is a great trigger for me to say "Im dreaming" another one is windows in my dreams windows cant be "looked out of" Even the weirdest things can seem completely normal in a dream but once you learn to assosciate certain occurances as being "dream only" you can train yourself to recognise them in yoursleep.

I find if I cant control "the scene" that focusing on controlling me helps me to gain control. dreams have precious little anchoring them and you can generally shake up a whole dream closing your eyes and spinning on the spot and thinking about what you want to dream about.

Time compression is one of the great things about dreams as well a 5 minute sleep period by the clock can appear to have held an hours worth of dream. I think over the years Ive came to the conclusion that dreams arent so much smooth video but keyframes of the action, a walk up a hill might "feel as if it took a couple of minutes but in fact happened in 3 flash's of actually quite still imagery, quite often instead of walking all the way up as you "think" you have you will have appeared at the top of the hill suddenly, but your mind tells you you walked and considers time to have elapsed doing so...

Theres been times when Ive fallen back to sleep after an alarm and had a very long dream and then to wake up thinking Im going to be badly late and found that the long dream took only a matter of minutes. Serialised dreams are interesting as well, I have some dream series that can be years between "episodes" and others where I get a series in a single night :D  But some dream series I can trace 4-5 connected episodes over 25 years!

Ive clearly spent far too long exploring my own dreams :lol: 

I think perhaps one of the most bizarre sleep \ wake combinations ever was a shared one with my half brother. I was sleeping over at his house and we had been up pretty late before turning in and talking in his room, and some how both of us drifted over into dreaming status at the same time and we both had an "illusion about some sort of hand held game system that projected the picture onto the wall, we were arguing over whos turn it was when his mum came in to see what the noise was about and that woke us both up from the bizarre shared sleeptalking \ dream episode... Very strange place the mind.
!