Raid 0 Stripe Recovery ???

richardgash

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I have an ASUS K8VSE Deluxe Running Windows XP SP3
I have 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA 200GB drives
These were configured as a storage device running Raid 0 Stripe 2+0 by Promise Fast Trak378

Somehow one of the discs has managed to get a 38.17GB NTFS partition which leaves one drive186.31gb, 148.14gb unallocated and the other drive 189.92gb unallocated.

I think the answer is no but is there anyway of recovering the data that was saved in the Raid on these 2 drives?

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I had a P4S800D-E Deluxe and P4P800- E Deluxe with Promise Fast Trak378. After a bad crash the array was gone......Maybe it's time to start thinking about an upgrade, your board is getting up in age. The newer RAID controllers are much better, if upgrading is not an option then try the onboard Via RAID controller and see if you get better results.

sub mesa

Distinguished
There are many applications/methods that can recover files from hardware/software RAID-arrays, and assuming the data on the disks in still there and oncurrupted you should be able to make a full recovery.

Also, stay away from bad fake RAID drivers, and not having a backup means your data is not worth alot to you. Re-evaluate your needs, and decide if and how to use RAID.

You can try to re-establish the array. If the array hasn't been degraded too far, you can simply set the controller for a striped array, plug the 2 drives in, and it may re-establish the array. Have done it many times. But, if the array has been broken long enough for someone to notice the drives showing up as 2 seperate drives, and repartition 1 of them, I really doubt it.
Are you sure that the partiton was not there before the drives were put into RAID?
Anyhow, good luck.

richardgash

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Thanks for the advise, I have re established the array several times now, it will re establish and show as a array but when it boots into windows it does not show the drive and the drive is not accessable. I an certain the partition was not there when the array was created. I beleive the data is still the (well on the area that is not partitioned) but can not access it.

_SirO_

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Try using Active Undelete, I have successfully recovered some RAID 0 arrays with it.

1st of all make an image of the harddrives (with active undelete) and only then, based on the images, try to recover it (it reduces the chances of accidental corruption).

Although the harddrives don't show up on windows explorer, the software will find them.