Remote for HTPC

Hey peeps, not sure where to post this :)

Was thinking of building an HTPC awhile ago, but with a near silent quad-core sitting a few metres away... what the???
So im looking for a remote control + ir adapter that can also be used for the pc (win xp) plus tv etc.

Any ideas or exp is much apreciated

Thanks.
10 answers Last reply
More about remote htpc
  1. I could be wrong, but you'd need windows media center. At least, that's the sys. req. for the device.
  2. Thanks for that. I have one of those which ive since plugged in at work for those saturdays when i should be..... u know.
    Anyway, due to water setup no room and no want.

Confusing thing is... there are 2 infrared standards: IR and IRDA
    They arent compatible.

Solution SEEMS to be...
    Buy cheap windoze remote + IR usb receiver
    Throw cheap remote away
    Buy nice learning Logitech etc remote only

Use IR usb with nice remote for tv AND pc :)

How come im not totally thrilled by this?
  3. I got a firefly remote for free with an ATSC tuner (I think you can find it for cheaper that $49)
    http://www.snapstream.com/products/firefly/

I like how it is RF, it is vastly superior to an IR remote. No issues with line of sight, I used to have the dongle behind me in a corner tucked under a desk. Its funny that I still pointed the remote at the TV!

If you get a Harmony remote make sure you future proof it and get one that does IR and RF. I love my Harmony 880, but was sad when they came out the 890.
  4. Quote:
    But think about it $45 AUD (cheaper in USA) for a HD-TV tuner/recorder + IR + remote

Its a sweet HT-PC life................

There are not many ATSC tuners for less than $50, remember the switch in the US is less than 9 months away.

I got this combo from www.pcalchemy.com (one of the better HTPC sites around) a while back (they don't have it anymore), and loved it:

http://store.dottymedia.com/amp0839.html

I have seen many good reviews on VBOX's cards
  5. Problem is id need the new remote to be a learning remote. Otherwise im just adding more remotes :S

RF is a good idea, but when everything else is IR, its kinda useless. Ive heard there are dual RF/IR remotes, some of them u need to switch between the two. Which could be VERY annoying.

Again, i cant use a DVB card as my water pump is in the way.

I can get this for under $20AUD, then add a nice learning remote i can use with tv/xbx/hd box/receiver/pc
  6. Quiet you
    :p
  7. Quote:
    ^ I dunno but I think Australia's PAL

sorry I couldn't see where the dude was from
  8. mrmez said:

RF is a good idea, but when everything else is IR, its kinda useless. Ive heard there are dual RF/IR remotes, some of them u need to switch between the two. Which could be VERY annoying.

Expensive, but it is able to convert IR to RF if you have an IR out on your devices:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/devices/378&cl=ca,en

Your idea might be worth trying for $20, I can't really help you out since I am in Canada. Personally I don't like credit card remotes.
  9. Yo man, are u set on using IR instead of 2.4GHZ? check out the stuff from Loftek, mini keyboards and air mice, make the perfect HTPC remote.
  10. stanleySlash said:
    Yo man, are u set on using IR instead of 2.4GHZ? check out the stuff from Loftek, mini keyboards and air mice, make the perfect HTPC remote.

Hi man, It seems that I have heard Loftek before. And I searched and found that Mini keyboard series is one of their feature products. Then I googled and get to know that rii touch 330 have good ranks and nice reviews. Meanwhile, they are also self-manufacturing and selling Loftek IP camera for home surveillance.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems