FYI: Sony Optiarc AD-7240S Drivers

r_manic

Administrator
Regardless, I prefer using LG or Samsung drives, as they've been the most reliable. In my personal experience at least. My history with Sony is bad, usually involving burned media that can't be read.

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Hi, :hello:

I'm erasing a DVD+RW as we speak :love:

I use this Free burner app:
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

CDBurnerXP is a free application to burn CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs. It also includes the feature to burn and create ISOs, as well as a multilanguage interface. Everyone, even companies, can use it for free. It does not include adware or similar malicious components.

Key Features
•burn all kinds of discs
•audio-CDs with or without gaps between tracks
•burn and create ISO files
•data verification after burning process
•create bootable discs
•multi-language interface
•bin/nrg → ISO converter, simple cover printing and much more!
•Operating Systems: Windows 2000/XP/2003 Server/Vista/Windows 7

EDIT: I'm using Microsoft driver: 5.1.2535.0 7/1/2001

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

NO DVDs using my WinXP Pro OS burner...I can only burn a CD.

Yes: using the CDBurnerXP software, I just burned a file to a DVD+RW.
CDBurnerXP: http://www.cdburnerxp.se/help/

CDBurnerXP is a free application to burn CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs. It also includes the feature to burn and create ISOs, as well as a multilanguage interface. Everyone, even companies, can use it for free. It does not include adware or similar malicious components. Also read the License Agreement.

Hmmm, my 7240S can't even read a blank DVD-media. I put in either a DVD+R or DVD-RW and my burner just reads 0/0 bytes, no disk inserted.

I try to use ISO burner but it gives me a 14849 hardware error.

Is this normal?

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

My Sony 7240S worked from the start...I was able to load my OS in this new build & load apps that are on DVD.

Maybe try uninstalling the drive...then note if your OS detects new hardware & check the driver it does install.

I checked both my drivers:

1. standard CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive
and
2. 7240S Optiarc DVD burner

both are the windows driver "5.1.2535.0" that only mentions CDs. I've flashed dvd-driver bios with no luck

I also have a 3rd drive (virtual?) for some reason called VCPIP...scsi CD device which I have no idea what it does.

btw, I'm running XP...does that have anything to do with it?

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

I have WinXP also...you have 2 drives [SATA?] the Sony is your second drive you just now installed, did you set the Jumper or your BIOS for Slave since the Sony is Drive #2 ?

General problems with Optical drives:

04. How to resolve if the drive is not recognized by the system?> Check the Drive ID setting.
If you have two optical drives on the same IDE cable, then you need to make sure the jumpers on the back of the drives are set appropriately. You will need to set one of the drives in MASTER mode and the other one in SLAVE mode. The drive label on the top of the drive should indicate which is the MASTER or the SLAVE mode.

> Check the error code that is displayed in Device Manager?
Here is how to check Device Manager Error code
Right click on 'My Computer' --> Properties --> 'Hardware' tab --> 'Device Manager' button --> Click on the '+' sign left to 'DVD/CD-ROM drives' --> Right click on optical drive model number --> 'Properties'.
If Device status indicate under the General tab shows an error code. Please refer to the error code number (show above) to resolve the problem.

> Check the BIOS setup. Is the ATA/IDE channel for the device enabled?
===================================================

10. Can the drive burn CD/DVD using the Microsoft built-in application?
If you are using Windows XP, you will need a 3rd-party burning application to burn DVDs (Nero, Roxio, etc.). You should be able to burn CDs within Windows built-in application.

http://www.sony-optiarc.us/en/support-service/faqs2/generelle-probleme

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

More stuff: http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/en/supportservice/faqs/generalquestions.html

The Optiarc CD/DVD/Blu-ray drives are ATAPI-devices. There is no need for special drivers when using operating systems like Linux, MacOS or Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP and Vista. The devices will be handled by the embedded drivers from the operatingsystem.

Drive has power but is not recognized by computerVerify the interface cable is attached correctly.
Verify the drive’s jumper settings.
If your system uses CABLE SELECT, verify the jumper settings are set to CSEL.
If your system is MASTER/SLAVE, verify that there is no other device connected to the same cable using the
same setting.
If you your drive has S-ATA interface, connect the drive to another S-ATA port on your main board. Consult you board's manual. Some motherboard manufacturers have special ports for optical drives

Yes, they are SATA. SLAVE DRIVER! Of course, I totally forgot! thanks I'll do that now.

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

That is the same driver I'm using...Since your ROM is working, I suggest your put the Sony as Master & try the ROM as Slave...just switch the cables, a thought :love:

Thanks But I've tried disconnecting all my drives except that Optiarc burner...the only thing that shows up in My computer is two icons - the burner divided into CD-Drive and DVD-Drive.

Neither works. I've also tried switching to an Optiarc 7201S w/ Lightscribe. Same problem. ='(

I finally fixed the problem. I upgraded XP with a spare OEM cd to Vista Ultimate, and now I can burn DVDs.

Apparently the XP version I had didn't come with DVD-burning software or software that recognizes Sony Optiarc DVD burners... >_<

Bushman53

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
CDBurnerXP: http://www.cdburnerxp.se/help/

CDBurnerXP is a free application to burn CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs. It also includes the feature to burn and create ISOs, as well as a multilanguage interface. Everyone, even companies, can use it for free. It does not include adware or similar malicious components. Also read the License Agreement
. :D

I was also having trouble getting mine dvd to work and I thought it was software related and thanks to the link above I was able to burn my dvd w/o paying some tech $65 an hour, try it and thanks. :lol: :bounce:

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Mine is a POS too.

The first one from newegg made a rattle noise then a screech. RMA'd ($8 out of my pocket) and the next one was barely better. Now it just died after a few months.

You might laugh, but go to Wal-Mart as they stock decent models that come out to about the same price as newegg when you factor in shipping or RMA charges. UPS just beats them up and drives are too fragile.

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Hardware, Electronic toys and Cars are all prone to be LEMONS, luck is needed after we make the purchase. :wahoo:

I never buy the 'extended warranty' my rule of thumb is, IF it lasts 30 days without a problem it's good, a year while under warranty it's no lemon, and all is well. :p

j3hdz

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010

My old drive died on me and got this optiarc ad-7240s-0b.

I'm running Win 7 ultimate and all I get is the icon and a message saying insert disc (and the actual disc inside pops out).

No other drive plugged, driver and firmware updated.

Any ideas or should I just toss it out ?