Power Supply, or mutherboard?

o0ZeluS0o

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Hello all, not new to the site, but new to the forum.

On an nvidia 590i chipset, and a 750w power supply, I replaced a 7950gx2 with a 9800gtx, also I upgraded my cpu from a p4-670 3.8ghz to a q6600 at the same time. Motherboard fully supports the cpu, as of latest bios update. Everything booted and worked great for about a week, a great upgrade, I felt like I saved myself from having to buy a new PC. After a long night of matrix online, crysis I shut the PC down. The next day when I got home from work nothing at all, no led on the motherboard, no fans nothing. So I sent the card, and cpu back after a few pissed off backflips. I just figured it's always fun to build a new rig!! About a week later I desided to see what would happen if I put the old cpu and graphics card back in, It booted up no problem, so I thought ok, maybe the new hardware was to much for the power supply, I'll move this pc down the line and use it in my studio, and still build my new one! After a few nights of matrix online and leaving it on all night last night it is completly non resposive again. I ordered a new power supply but I just wanted to check on here and see what you guys/girls thought. I do have a tester but it's a stupid dell version of the 590i and the powere supply has a 22 pin and 24 pin connection to the motherboard, yah dell!!

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Is the power supply Dell as well?

It does point to the PSU as a higher power machine wouldnt boot, then replacing the old parts made it work again for a limited time, until you had the same issue. Which points to PSU degredation, wether this was sped up by the install of new parts or something in the PSU had gone is unknown but that would be my next port of call

o0ZeluS0o

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Thanks for the reply, I am lucky that the issue is happening tonight, and I just got the power supply in the mail. Can't wait to try it! I hope it's just the power supply!