Building Low-Budget Gaming PC - Opinions appreciated :p

G

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
EDIT:

Final configuration:
CPU - INTEL Pentium Dual-Core E2160
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper TX2
MB - Gigabyte P35-DS3L
RAM - CORSAIR TWINX XMS2 DDR2 800MHz CL4-4-4-12
Gr. Card - BFG GF9600GT 512MB DDR3 OC
PSU - CORSAIR VX550, 550W
Case - Thermaltake VI1000BNS M9
HDD - from previous system (SB 7200 RPM 160Gb, Maxxtor 5400 RPM 40Gb)

Grand total: ~600$

If you can give some more tips/tricks/links/hints I'll be glad if you do, thanks for all the help.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Additional info - yeah I'm pretty much a beginner at this so don't hurt me too much :p. I'd like to hear your opinions (preferably practically tested ones), on how to improve this build overall. I'll be overclocking the CPU and the Graphics card (oh yeah advice on this is appreciated too - you guessed it - I've never done it before! :D).

Thanks for all the tips guys, I really need help with this stuff.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
So here are the specs i was thinking about:

CPU - INTEL Pentium Dual-Core E2160
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper TX2
MB - Gigabyte P35-DS3L
RAM - CORSAIR TWINX XMS2 DDR2 800MHz CL4-4-4-12
Gr. Card - BFG GF9600GT 512MB DDR3 OC
PSU - CORSAIR VX550, 550W
Case - Not sure yet...
HDD - from previous system

Additional info - yeah I'm pretty much a beginner at this so don't hurt me too much :p . I'd like to hear your opinions (preferably practically tested ones), on how to improve this build overall. I'll be overclocking the CPU and the Graphics card (oh yeah advice on this is appreciated too - you guessed it - I've never done it before! :D ).

Thanks for all the tips guys, I really need help with this stuff.
Everything looks good and balanced as it is.

This 9600gt comes with aftermarket cooler and overclocks better. Not sure if it's worth the extra to you, since you're on budget.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127333

Happy building.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The PSU is nice, but if this is budget, Consider the Antec Sonata III Case/PSU combo.

It's often on sale and the PSU included as actually good, which is rare for PSU/CASE combos.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

And with the money saved, get a E4000s chip instead of the old Pentium D. :p

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Ya the E2160 isn't a bad chip at all. The only thing I saw that didn't seem as good as it could be is that you could get a better CPU cooler maybe. Not sure about that one. Everything else looks great.

G

Hmm, if I calculated it right from my currency into USD, it's about 10$ more expensive than the BFG. I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible with the highest possible value. Uhm, my point: is it worth it? (I heard from a friend that BFGs are great for overclocking, can't verify it though as I haven't tried it)

I have great experience with Corsair, so if it's not necessary to switch, I wanna keep it. I'm not very fond of case/psu combinations, so even if I'm on budget, I'm gonna invest a bit more to really ensure that it will perform as I want it to. Thanks for the advice though, I checked the case and it wasn't so bad, but I'm not sure that the PSU would be able to handle the OC-ed processor and gr. card.

I know from experience that 2MB and 1MB cache makes a hell of a lot difference in games, and a little off topic - is 4MB and 2MB cache so different too, in terms of performance in games? I chose the E2160, because I think it's the best for low-budget systems overall. It overclocks like hell, it's affordable, the only downside is the 1MB cache (but a better processor could cost twice as much as this one).

Umm it's a 9600, a 9800 would be (a little :D) too expensive for a low-budget system. No probs mate, thanks anyway :).

Could you make a suggestion for the possible replacement?

Thanks for the fast replies guys! I really appreciate it, keep 'em coming! :D

G

Update guys - I've been looking up a fitting case for my system, and I believe I got a good one :). Check it out - Thermaltake M9. Let me know what you think guys, because I can be wrong! :D (I'm not an expert case-wise). Thanks!

G

Thanks! Those links helped :).

I'm still curious what you guys think about the Thermaltake M9 Case. Good/bad experiences anyone? :)

G

Okay :). Probably the last question from me (don't kill me yet :D): would you rather go for a cheaper THERMALTAKE VI1000BNS M9 case without a window or the more expensive THERMALTAKE VI1000BWS M9 with a window? The window's the only difference, otherwise they're the same cases. Does a window provide better air circulation / heat dissipation? I know it may be a stupid question but I really have no clue :), thanks. Oh and another thing - do you think the cooling will be sufficient if I do high overclocking (CPU 3+GHz, GPU ~725Mhz (if possible))? Would you consider switching to a Thermaltake Ultra 120? Oh yeah, I don't like peak temperatures at my components, I'd like them to survive for a few years at least :).

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

G

Ok, seems like a fair reason ;). I edited the first message, you can find the finalized config there, thanks and see ya, this is Spirit signing off ;).

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
^ in theory aluminium sheet will disperse more heat (better) but then again you can just open the case right?
If I open my case the CPU temps go up around 6°C per core (load 49°C to 55°C).
The graphics card (passive cooling) goes up 15°C (idle 42°C to 57°C).
I don't even want to know how hot it gets in an open case during games.

Sidepanels are aluminium, the frame is made fo steel.
Decent airflow (in theory) is the key.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
^ Nah. Vampires like it cold. Don't you watch Moonlight?

Typing below 20°C my fingers start to hurt after half an hour.
22-24°C comfort zone FTW.

Okey just checked the config. Underclocked and undervolted AMD EE.
Passive cooling all the way would be child's play. Upgrade to a 780G. HTPC Deluxe.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
^The freezing to death part backs my vampire theory!
Cooling a PC with snow 99/100 not a good idea :heink:
Buffy grew up and went home. Spike took over her job.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Vegetarian?

Primitive term for a "lousy hunter"

I hope that 62C is wrong though, otherwise somebody, somewhere may have committed a no no.

Fractal_FX

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
This is indeed a very solid build, although I bet you paid a tad bit more for the lower CL Corsair ram. IMO, if on a crazy budget, go with the G.Skill DDR2 800 2 x 1 GBs, they've got a tad slower latency but they're extremely affordable. Now to wait for DDR3 to start lowering in pricing... :bounce:

------------------------
www.project-8pr.com >>--__-_--

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
^ Now before you give me a steak you should know I'm a vegetarian. ;)

Anyways, my CPU is so cool because of:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/2438230833_ff4631f530_o.jpg
ironically my brother's computer is called "Buffy" and runs at 62C (QX9650 @4.6GHZ watercooled + 8GB RAM + 2x3870 X2 1.2kw PSU) I call that a polar opposite :p
62°C on water? :ouch: Holy Smokes Batman.
Someone needs a new radiator. I hope he didn't use cheap tubing!
I'd call that a threat to global warming. :pfff:

If most of us saw a chicken farm up close, we'd be vegetarian as well. :heink:

As for staking ... we'll leave that to Buffy and her gang of social misfits.
Why hurt anybody? Ignore them.
In this dangerous world that gives them a chance to hurt themselves and leaves you with a clean record. :D

^^ Yes, you should be pacifist like me
That's a phase. It passes with age and the amount of unreasonable people you meet. :heink:

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I've seen chicken farms, believe me.

I'm not huge on poultry, but I still <3 meh meat.

Being a pacifist has nothing to do with hunting... besdies, andrius is
right, it'll pass.