Jun 12, 2008
CPU: Intel Q9450 w/ Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Edition
MOBO: Asus Striker II Formula 780i
RAM: Corsair Dominators DDR2-1066 2x2gb
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850w
GPU: Asus 8800GTS 512mb (G92)
HD: Seagate Barricuda 500gb SATA
Drives: 2x Asus dvd-rw

I built two IDENTICAL systems, one for myself, one for my uncle. Everything is exactly the same, I even wired them the same (by that I mean I used the modular power cables the same in both rigs).

My uncle's computer runs great. He has had it for 2 weeks now, and says it has not froze or had any error. I ran prime95 on it for 8 hours, and it ran fine. He has ran crysis on it fine.

The rig I built for me, however, freezes when I run prime95, with no overclocking. Only setting changed in BIOS is ram voltage, which I set to 2.16v ("AUTO" was undervolting).

At first, I thought it was a RAM issue. The first thing I did was remove the 2nd 2gb stick, so I only had one stick in. I ran memtest, it passed. I booted into safemode to make sure it wasn't a driver issue, it froze. I then took a stick of RAM from my uncle's rig, and put it in mine. My rig still froze.

So I thought it was a Mobo or CPU problem, so I RMA'd them both. I got the parts back yesterday, and my rig is STILL freezing.

I don't think prime95 stresses the hard drive, so I don't think it is a HD problem, although it could be?

I don't think it is an overheating issue, because when NB or SB overheats, according to some forum posts I read, it shuts the computer down. My rig is frozen, and I have to hold the power button to get it to shutdown.

Could it be a PSU issue?

(note: Prime95 will freeze randomly. The quickest it has frozen was 5 minutes, the longest it has ever lasted was 1 hour, but it usually lasts between 10-15 min before freezing)

merton

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008

I don't think it is a RAM issue.

I took out 1 stick from my uncle's rig and put it in mine, and it still froze. I also tried both of my 2 sticks (one at a time).

I will set NB to 1.5 when I get back from dinner tonight

merton

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008

I will run memtest when I get home. (I ran windows memory diagnostic on it and it passed, but I realize that memtest is much better).

I started to run memtest on it, but after it was 60% complete with 0 errors I rebooted. I will let it finish 100% tonight.

But still, why would the computer freeze with 3 different sticks of ram, one stick which ran prime95 for 8 hours in my uncle's rig?

merton

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
Okay so I ran some tests.

1.) I ran prime95 until my computer froze (it ran for 55min), IMMEDIATLY restart and went into BIOS. The highest temp was NB, which was 68C. Defintely not high enough to be causing a problem. I have read several posts where people have load temps of 75+.

2.) I went into BIOS and tried to raise NB voltage to 1.5v. When I set NB to 1.5v, Vista does not load. It finishes the Vista loading bar screen, but after that, nothing. If I set NB back to "auto" it boots into Vista.

3.) Tried the same thing with Vcore. I set it to 1.2v, and it also would not boot into Vista.

4.) I ran memtest AGAIN. It is still running, but before I left for work, it was running for 6h43m and had 0 errors (I know my ram is fine).

The fact that I can not adjust voltages scares me. Even if I can get my board running stable, the entire point of me spending $300 on a mobo was to overclock.

Could it be PSU related?

When I set the NB to 1.5v, and they selected "save and exit", my rig restarts, but the logo never shows up and I don't post. I have to hold down the power button, then restart to get it to post.

Also, after setting NB to 1.5v and getting it to post, I went back into the BIOS and went to "voltage monitor" and my voltage was indeed 1.5v.

I did a quick Google check of your ASUS MB and to say people have had a ton of problems with that board is putting it lightly. I knew Nvidia chipsets were picky about RAM, but it looks like your MB has 'all kinds' of problems' including BIOS questions, voltage issues, heatshutdowns and just a general consensus of being a poor product. Try googling your MB and have a look. GL.

merton

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008

Trust me, I know how many people are having problems with this mobo.

I am currently trying to fix this issue on 4 different forums, all of which have numerous asus striker II threads.

I am incredibly disappointed with Asus. I was a HUGE Asus fan, but this will most likely be the last Asus mobo that I buy.

So, the 780i is a stable chipset? But just not with ASUS? Stay away from Nvidia chipsets unless you plan to go through three or four sets of various RAM and the 'mysterious' assortment of system stability and overclocking issues you are experiencing. I doubt ASUS is totally to blame. You just have your hands on another flaky Nvidia chipset floating around out there. I have found the Intel chipsets to perfrom better not to mention a noticable lack of problems like their Nvidia counterparts. I have a dozen ASUS MB's running, some from the socket A era. No problem with any of them.

merton

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008

You are probably right. I haven't looked at any of the other 780i forums. I know there was a video corruption issue with the nvidia chipset, but that was fixed with the most recent BIOS update.

It boggles my mind that my uncle, who has the EXACT same computer, is having 0 problems. I set my rig up IDENTICAL to his. I am thinking I have a bad PSU, I am going to check it today.

Well, good luck maybe the PSU will be the solution. I have been using Intel chipsets the past couple of years with little to complain about. 945, 965, 965G, X38, G35. I returned the last Nvidia MB I set up. I think it was a 6 series? RAM wouldn't play nice and worked perfectly in my 945. It doesn't take much for a MB to be a bad actor or quit. Maybe your uncle's identical system got a board with proper working voltage regulators? Just a thought.

merton

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008

The thing is, I really don't think I have a MB problem.

The fact that my rig froze, then I RMA'd my CPU + mobo and it is still freezing, makes me doubt its the mobo.

Is it possible to get 2 bad mobo's in a row? Yes.

But I cannot count the number of rigs I have built, and this is the first time I have ever had a "bad motherboard" if that even is the case.

I am REALLY hoping it is a PSU issue.

I am still nervous that I could not change the NB or Vcore voltage in BIOS to 1.5v and 1.2v without issues. I am hoping I just need to reset the CMOS longer, since I did upgrade to the new 1305 bios.

Yeah, you RMA'd the MB and CPU. Wow. I hate that kind of problem, LOL. man I hear 'ya. Keep the link updated, especially of you get the system ironed out and running like it's supposed to.

merton

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008

The RMA process went very smoothly. I was expecting worse.

The only small "complaint" I have is that Newegg's RMA warehouse is in california, while their "stock" warehouse is in NJ. I am from NY, so it took 5 or 6 days just to get to cali, plus a few for them to review it, then finally a new one was shipped from NJ. Would have been much quicker if the RMA warehouse was in NJ, but I really cannot complain, overall great service.

Actually, the whole process makes me feel a little more comfortable knowing that if I ever build a rig for someone and have an issue, I can easily get a replacement.

Newegg is good about this sort of things. The CA location is very close to me. Newegg was tossing around the idea of letting local customers pick up at the location. Hasn't happened yet. I have picked up at Kingston's guard shack at the gate several times. Also Lian Li. Also Zalman. LOL.