No sound on certain games unless acceleration switched off??

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Hi,

I am having real problems getting the sound to work properly on various games e.g. BF2 and more recently Rainbox six Vegas 2. BF2 - the sound crackles badly and Vegas 2 there are no sounds at all - but when I disable sound acceleration from Dxdiag everything works, can someone tell me what's going on?

I have the latest Nvidia drivers for my Geforce 8800 GTS and I have tried both onboard sound and my soundblaster Live 5.1 sound card with latest drivers but nothing works.

Please help.

Thanks.

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007

Hi,

Thanks for the response - yes I did turn off the onboard sound, in fact I am now running the onboard sound only.

Any help on this very very much appreciated!

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007

But the same thing is happening with my onboard sound? What exactely is the DX accelerator doing as it sounds just the same when you switch it off?

Take it there's no problem leaving it off?

Cheers

Hardware acceleration uses the sound card to do some or all of the audio processing. Disabling it makes the CPU do all the work. most onboard cards are host(cpu) based anyway(the performance difference should be minimal). This sounds like broken drivers almost.

My Audigy 2zs is just fine with both games mentioned and sound acceleration to full. just make sure the drivers are up to date.

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007

Thanks nukemaster, useful stuff there - I think I may even go out and buy (or at least try) a new sound card.

Now that I think about it my setup used to work with my older motherboard so maybe there is a conflict between the new board and the soundblaster (and maybe the onboard sound just isn't good enough)?

Thanks.

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007

The drivers are up to date but good point I haven't tried patching the game, will try that next.

Cheers.

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Just tried playing Oblivion with the acceleration off and it was buzzing all over the place, turned it back on again and it was fine - why do some games work with the acceleration on and not off and visa versa?

Some games want to see hardware acceleration(audio). What it does come down to for the most part is bad programming by developers IMO(most times they fix it with a patch).

Its odd that you had it with 2 sound cards tho....

maybe try a middle acceleration?

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007

I'll try that tonight. As (I think) I mentioned earlier the sound was fine with BF2 on my earlier motherboard (with the same soundblaster) but when I changed the motherboard that's when it went wrong.

It's a strange one, if nothing else works I'll try a new sound card - anyone got any suggestions for a new sound card preferably under £40?

Cheers.