Respec MA/SR

Last response: in Video Games
July 24, 2005 12:45:26 AM

Hit 21 with RorShok and decided to burn my respec, since we're likely to
get another with I5.

I'd taken Warrior's Challenge and Crippling Axe Kick, as well as Combat
Jump/Superjump. Wasn't happy with the overall combo - CAK is a worthless
POS, IMHO.

So I read some of the online build docs and rebuilt:

Focused Fighting, Storm Kick, Thunder Kick, Agile, Cobra Strike*, Crane
Kick, Hurdle*, Hasten, Super Speed*, Health*, Practiced Brawler,
Stamina*, and plan to take Dodge* next. (New choices are starred.)

I'm only about 3/4 slotted, a mix of green, white and yellow, and am
holding off until 22 to start slotting up with SOs. I might do an Inf
transfer from 'Gunner to help out. Ran two linked missions and like the
combination seems to work well. Can't wait to load up Health and Stamina
and slot up CS a little more - I can see where its reliable disorient
will be very useful soloing.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M

More about : respec

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:20:37 AM

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in

> Hit 21 with RorShok and decided to burn my respec, since we're
> likely to get another with I5.

<snip>

> So I read some of the online build docs and rebuilt:
>
> Focused Fighting, Storm Kick, Thunder Kick, Agile, Cobra Strike*,
> Crane Kick, Hurdle*, Hasten, Super Speed*, Health*, Practiced
> Brawler, Stamina*, and plan to take Dodge* next. (New choices are
> starred.)

Hurdle....I'm thinking Health instead, especially since you have
SuperSpeed...Hurdle doesn't help that much in height if you want a
better downtime turnaround....and Health if two slotted green does show
on the normal run.

> I'm only about 3/4 slotted, a mix of green, white and yellow, and
> am holding off until 22 to start slotting up with SOs. I might do
> an Inf transfer from 'Gunner to help out. Ran two linked missions
> and like the combination seems to work well. Can't wait to load up
> Health and Stamina and slot up CS a little more - I can see where
> its reliable disorient will be very useful soloing.

I picked up CS at the 24th respec, and dropped it at the first chance I
had for more damage.

But, that's just me.

And you will love Eagles Claw when you can put a mezz/dmg (peroxisome-
amethyst-gluon) in it.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 9:54:57 AM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:45:26 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> scribed into the ether:

>Hit 21 with RorShok and decided to burn my respec, since we're likely to
>get another with I5.

There is absolutely going to be a respec for I5, CuppaJo has indicated
thusly.

>Focused Fighting, Storm Kick, Thunder Kick, Agile, Cobra Strike*, Crane
>Kick, Hurdle*, Hasten, Super Speed*, Health*, Practiced Brawler,
>Stamina*, and plan to take Dodge* next. (New choices are starred.)

IMO, SuperSpeed by itself is pretty horrible. There is so much Z-axis in
this game, going without any means to traverse it is just plain agony. I
don't run many characters with Superspeed at all, but none of them have
*only* that as a travel power. Game is nigh-unplayable like that.

Super Reflexes really doesn't benefit much from Hasten (not since they
upped the recharge on Elude), and Martial Arts can also go without. If you
want to be really creative, go with Air Superiority and Fly. Air
Superiority is a FABULOUS attack, and gives a much needed punch to Martial
Arts, which is way too dominated by kicking attacks. It's knockdown side
effect goes off virtually every time, and knockdown is one of the best
defenses available.
July 24, 2005 6:17:25 PM

J Anlee <janlee@ameritech.net> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in
>
>> Hit 21 with RorShok and decided to burn my respec, since we're
>> likely to get another with I5.
>>

><snip>
>

>> So I read some of the online build docs and rebuilt:
>>
>> Focused Fighting, Storm Kick, Thunder Kick, Agile, Cobra Strike*,
>> Crane Kick, Hurdle*, Hasten, Super Speed*, Health*, Practiced
>> Brawler, Stamina*, and plan to take Dodge* next. (New choices are
>> starred.)
>>

>Hurdle....I'm thinking Health instead, especially since you have
>SuperSpeed

But he's already taking health and he HAS to take one of swift/hurdle.
Swift is completely useless to a superspeeder while hurdle does give
some height to jumps.

Xocyll
July 24, 2005 10:42:37 PM

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
> It immobilizes and slows down movement speed (but not attack speed).
> Well duh, being immobilized does kind of reduce your movement speed.
> [Since the slowing does NOT outlast the immobilize it's pointless.]

I can't figure out what purpose an immobilize or slow power has to a
melee AT. At all. Before immob: you both stand there and pound on each
other. After immob: you both stand there and pound on each other. The
small uses like stopping runners or holding them so you can run away are
not worth it.

> Never cared much for cobra strike myself, since it does so little
> damage and it's recharge time is much longer than it's stun (without
> heavy slotting), but I can see why some like it.

Read some good things about it and I'm finding the disorient useful.
It's first on the list to 'spec out at this point, though.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
-= RorShok: Level 21 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
-= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
-= Justice Server =-
-= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
-= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:11:04 PM

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>> It immobilizes and slows down movement speed (but not attack speed).
>> Well duh, being immobilized does kind of reduce your movement speed.
>> [Since the slowing does NOT outlast the immobilize it's pointless.]
>
>I can't figure out what purpose an immobilize or slow power has to a
>melee AT. At all. Before immob: you both stand there and pound on each
>other. After immob: you both stand there and pound on each other. The
>small uses like stopping runners or holding them so you can run away are
>not worth it.

Well the immob was an ok thing to have to stop runners, but other than
that it's useless.
The only reason I ever took it was that odd build that Shadeling was to
start - and that was all about it's activation and recharge time for a
seamless attack chain without hasten, NOT it's status effects.

It really needs a complete redesign, since it's a complete waste of a
power slot as it sits.

>> Never cared much for cobra strike myself, since it does so little
>> damage and it's recharge time is much longer than it's stun (without
>> heavy slotting), but I can see why some like it.
>
>Read some good things about it and I'm finding the disorient useful.
>It's first on the list to 'spec out at this point, though.

It can have it's uses certainly. I mostly found though that it wasn't
useful _enough_ to justify the slots it needs being allocated from
something that would be more useful more/all of the time.

Probably better in a ma/reg build.

Xocyll
July 25, 2005 3:44:53 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:17:25 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
into the ether:

>J Anlee <janlee@ameritech.net> looked up from reading the entrails of
>the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>>Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in
>>
>>> Hit 21 with RorShok and decided to burn my respec, since we're
>>> likely to get another with I5.
>>>

>><snip>
>>

>>> So I read some of the online build docs and rebuilt:
>>>
>>> Focused Fighting, Storm Kick, Thunder Kick, Agile, Cobra Strike*,
>>> Crane Kick, Hurdle*, Hasten, Super Speed*, Health*, Practiced
>>> Brawler, Stamina*, and plan to take Dodge* next. (New choices are
>>> starred.)
>>>

>>Hurdle....I'm thinking Health instead, especially since you have
>>SuperSpeed
>
>But he's already taking health and he HAS to take one of swift/hurdle.
>Swift is completely useless to a superspeeder while hurdle does give
>some height to jumps.

Swift isn't completely useless. It's runspeed boost increases Superspeed.
Hurdle/Health is the better choice in this instance, but Swift benefits
Superspeed quite a bit, if for no other reason than it eliminates the need
to put slots in Superspeed...slotting a travel power. Yuck.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:44:54 AM

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:17:25 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
>into the ether:
>
>>J Anlee <janlee@ameritech.net> looked up from reading the entrails of
>>the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>>
>>>Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in

>>><snip>

>>>Hurdle....I'm thinking Health instead, especially since you have
>>>SuperSpeed
>>
>>But he's already taking health and he HAS to take one of swift/hurdle.
>>Swift is completely useless to a superspeeder while hurdle does give
>>some height to jumps.
>
>Swift isn't completely useless. It's runspeed boost increases Superspeed.
>Hurdle/Health is the better choice in this instance, but Swift benefits
>Superspeed quite a bit, if for no other reason than it eliminates the need
>to put slots in Superspeed...slotting a travel power. Yuck.

But slotting superspeed would be insane anyway, since it's almost at the
speed cap when you get it at level 14.
It would be especially insane for someone playing MA/SR since quickness
will already take you to the cap in conjunction with SS.

Swift is an ok choice for anything _but_ SS, with SS it's a waste of a
power.

Xocyll
July 25, 2005 3:45:54 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:42:37 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> scribed into the ether:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>> It immobilizes and slows down movement speed (but not attack speed).
>> Well duh, being immobilized does kind of reduce your movement speed.
>> [Since the slowing does NOT outlast the immobilize it's pointless.]
>
>I can't figure out what purpose an immobilize or slow power has to a
>melee AT. At all.

Well, if it is a recharge slowdown in addition to a runspeed slowdown, that
helps a bit.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:45:55 AM

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:42:37 -0000, Shenanigunner
><shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> scribed into the ether:
>
>>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>>> It immobilizes and slows down movement speed (but not attack speed).
>>> Well duh, being immobilized does kind of reduce your movement speed.
>>> [Since the slowing does NOT outlast the immobilize it's pointless.]
>>
>>I can't figure out what purpose an immobilize or slow power has to a
>>melee AT. At all.
>
>Well, if it is a recharge slowdown in addition to a runspeed slowdown, that
>helps a bit.

It isn't. It was rumored to be (badly worded description), but the
devs came clean on it that it was ONLY a movement slow.

Xocyll
July 25, 2005 4:17:08 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:17:25 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

> But he's already taking health and he HAS to take one of swift/hurdle.
> Swift is completely useless to a superspeeder while hurdle does give
> some height to jumps.

Well, if someone considered slotting superspeed for faster travel, swift
might free up those slots for some better use. I also feel that hurdle
does not make much difference as a vertical travel power. You can jump
over some walls, but you won't get out of a gulch. I tend to only take ss
for characters who are always teaming. It is kinda embarrassing to have to
broadcast for a teleport out of some ditch.

good sign." -G
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:17:09 AM

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:
> Well, if someone considered slotting superspeed for faster travel,
> swift might free up those slots for some better use. I also feel that
> hurdle does not make much difference as a vertical travel power. You
> can jump over some walls, but you won't get out of a gulch. I tend to
> only take ss for characters who are always teaming. It is kinda
> embarrassing to have to broadcast for a teleport out of some ditch.

I've never dropped a slot in Super Speed, Hurdle or Swift, and I can't
imagine why anyone would. Even one SO Run Speed in SS makes it almost
unmanagebly quick and twitchy, everything that those who dislike it bitch
about. With an SO EndRed, the speed is acceptable, the pseudo-stealth is
still pretty good, and the only thing lacking is a good Z-axis
movement... which Hurdle, with one Jump in it, does a lot to take care
of.

FWIW, I usually take Teleport later with my 'Speeders.

I tried SuperJump and while it's fun, I just didn't care for it after a
while. Flight is nice (nicer than I'd thought, before taking it) but I
don't really want all my alts to fly. SS suits me in a lot of ways.

--

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> looked up from reading the entrails of

>On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:17:25 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>
>> But he's already taking health and he HAS to take one of swift/hurdle.
>> Swift is completely useless to a superspeeder while hurdle does give
>> some height to jumps.
>
>Well, if someone considered slotting superspeed for faster travel, swift
>might free up those slots for some better use.

I can't imagine anyone who actually knew what they were doing slotting
SS (or SJ for that matter) since they're almost perfect when first
available. Fly and TP on the other hand benefit greatly from slotting.

>I also feel that hurdle
>does not make much difference as a vertical travel power. You can jump
>over some walls, but you won't get out of a gulch. I tend to only take ss
>for characters who are always teaming. It is kinda embarrassing to have to
>broadcast for a teleport out of some ditch.

Hurdle is actually enough to get you out of most places - there's a
couple places you'd get stuck, but not as many as you'd think.

The map designers actually did a pretty good job in that respect - stuck
with only base+sprint level jump, and out ok if you have hurdle/CJ.
Barring a good chunk of faultline of course.

Xocyll
July 25, 2005 4:37:06 AM

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> Swift isn't completely useless. It's runspeed boost increases
> Superspeed. Hurdle/Health is the better choice in this instance, but
> Swift benefits Superspeed quite a bit, if for no other reason than it
> eliminates the need to put slots in Superspeed...slotting a travel
> power. Yuck.

If you want the Fitness pool and have Leaping, Swift is a better choice
than Hurdle. Super Speed is plenty fast all by itself; I'd rather take the
added jumping to complement it. SJ is plenty bouncy; I'd rather take the
added speed to complement it. Choosing powers to stack has never seemed
like a good strategy to me.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
-= RorShok: Level 21 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
-= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
-= Justice Server =-
-= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
-= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 8:58:44 AM

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
> The map designers actually did a pretty good job in that respect -
> stuck with only base+sprint level jump, and out ok if you have
> hurdle/CJ. Barring a good chunk of faultline of course.

I thought the chasm thing in Terra Volta was inescapable without flight or
teleport, then discovered there's a place at one end to jump from pipe to
pipe and reach the top. Faultline is completely escapable with plain jumps
if you (1) run far enough and (2) survive all the mobs on the way. :p

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
-= RorShok: Level 21 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
-= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
-= Justice Server =-
-= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
-= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 10:36:16 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:37:06 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>> Swift isn't completely useless. It's runspeed boost increases
>> Superspeed. Hurdle/Health is the better choice in this instance, but
>> Swift benefits Superspeed quite a bit, if for no other reason than it
>> eliminates the need to put slots in Superspeed...slotting a travel
>> power. Yuck.
>
>If you want the Fitness pool and have Leaping, Swift is a better choice
>than Hurdle.

This I completely disagree with. I'd take Hurdle even if the Fitness pool
didn't have Stamina. I'd take the whole pool for that one power. It's that
good.

> Super Speed is plenty fast all by itself;

I'm underwhelmed, myself. For traveling, it's pretty abysmal. Then you get
indoors and trying to maneuver around doorways is too difficult. I wish
there was a "duck" option that let you move a bit slower for fine-tuned
control.

>I'd rather take the added jumping to complement it. SJ is plenty bouncy; I'd rather take the
>added speed to complement it.

If you want added speed for SJ, you take Hurdle. It's a phenomenal
difference. Please note that I said that Hurdle/Health is better for the
character in question. I am far more prone to take Hurdle/Swift/Stamina and
not involve Health at all, but then this is all applying to characters with
some method of healing themselves, rendering the benefit of Health
extremely meager.

>Choosing powers to stack has never seemed
>like a good strategy to me.

*shrug* Tell that to my Rad defender who gets perma-Hasten and perma-AM by
stacking them...5 slots in Hasten, and only 4 recharges in AM, giving over
2 slots of AM for EndRecs...it's almost impossible for me to run myself out
of endurance in any fight of less than 5 minutes.

My problem in my builds are slots, not powers. I'm always having to choose
some fluff power that I don't really care about just to have a void filled.
If I could, I could fit 20 more slots into any character without even
trying. Two powers that complement each other and work just fine with their
default slot? That's the definition of a no-brainer.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 10:38:41 PM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:02:59 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:
>
>>On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:17:25 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
>>into the ether:
>>
>>>J Anlee <janlee@ameritech.net> looked up from reading the entrails of
>>>the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>>>But he's already taking health and he HAS to take one of swift/hurdle.
>>>Swift is completely useless to a superspeeder while hurdle does give
>>>some height to jumps.
>>
>>Swift isn't completely useless. It's runspeed boost increases Superspeed.
>>Hurdle/Health is the better choice in this instance, but Swift benefits
>>Superspeed quite a bit, if for no other reason than it eliminates the need
>>to put slots in Superspeed...slotting a travel power. Yuck.
>
>But slotting superspeed would be insane anyway, since it's almost at the
>speed cap when you get it at level 14.

Uh...right. Take your level 14 superspeeder up against a level 50 with
swift sometime. See just how close to the cap you are as they vanish into
the distance.

>It would be especially insane for someone playing MA/SR since quickness
>will already take you to the cap in conjunction with SS.

I had forgotten about Quickness in this instance, and that is a fair point.

>Swift is an ok choice for anything _but_ SS, with SS it's a waste of a
>power.

I went Hurdle/Swift/Stamina for my superspeeding defender. Works just fine.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 10:40:31 PM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:11:04 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
into the ether:

>Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:

>>Read some good things about it and I'm finding the disorient useful.
>>It's first on the list to 'spec out at this point, though.
>
>It can have it's uses certainly. I mostly found though that it wasn't
>useful _enough_ to justify the slots it needs being allocated from
>something that would be more useful more/all of the time.
>
>Probably better in a ma/reg build.

Nah, better in a MA/DA build. Stack disorient magnitude with Oppressive
Gloom.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 10:06:43 AM

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>> Swift isn't completely useless. It's runspeed boost increases
>> Superspeed. Hurdle/Health is the better choice in this instance, but
>> Swift benefits Superspeed quite a bit, if for no other reason than it
>> eliminates the need to put slots in Superspeed...slotting a travel
>> power. Yuck.
>
>If you want the Fitness pool and have Leaping, Swift is a better choice
>than Hurdle. Super Speed is plenty fast all by itself; I'd rather take the
>added jumping to complement it. SJ is plenty bouncy; I'd rather take the
>added speed to complement it. Choosing powers to stack has never seemed
>like a good strategy to me.

SJ and Hurdle do stack though, and it gives a noticeable increase in
height and range that makes SJ much more effective as a travel power.
It's the difference between landing on that roof or falling short and
having to jump around the building at ground level.

Even at level 6, doing mini jumps with hurdle will actually run you
along faster than swift will.
Sure swift is entirely passive while hurdle requires you to jump to get
the speed boost, but that doesn't make swift better.

Xocyll
July 26, 2005 10:09:29 AM

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:11:04 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
>into the ether:
>
>>Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
>>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>>say:
>
>>>Read some good things about it and I'm finding the disorient useful.
>>>It's first on the list to 'spec out at this point, though.
>>
>>It can have it's uses certainly. I mostly found though that it wasn't
>>useful _enough_ to justify the slots it needs being allocated from
>>something that would be more useful more/all of the time.
>>
>>Probably better in a ma/reg build.
>
>Nah, better in a MA/DA build. Stack disorient magnitude with Oppressive
>Gloom.

Wouldn't DA have pretty much the same slotting problems SR has though?

Regen at least can get away with using fewer powers and thus can afford
the slots that CS will need to be useful.

Xocyll
July 26, 2005 10:09:30 AM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 06:09:29 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:
>
>>On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:11:04 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
>>into the ether:
>>
>>>Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
>>>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>>>say:

>>>It can have it's uses certainly. I mostly found though that it wasn't
>>>useful _enough_ to justify the slots it needs being allocated from
>>>something that would be more useful more/all of the time.
>>>
>>>Probably better in a ma/reg build.
>>
>>Nah, better in a MA/DA build. Stack disorient magnitude with Oppressive
>>Gloom.
>
>Wouldn't DA have pretty much the same slotting problems SR has though?
>
>Regen at least can get away with using fewer powers and thus can afford
>the slots that CS will need to be useful.

With Tough/Weave becoming even more important to Regen in I5 than they
already are, I don't see where Regen gets all of this slot savings.

With the changes to I5, it looks like DA has gone from weakest to strongest
of the scrapper secondaries. That's pretty scary, since it has even taken a
few nerfs.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:21:41 AM

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:02:59 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
>into the ether:
>
>>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> looked up from reading the
>>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>>say:
>>
>>>On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:17:25 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
>>>into the ether:

>>>Swift isn't completely useless. It's runspeed boost increases Superspeed.
>>>Hurdle/Health is the better choice in this instance, but Swift benefits
>>>Superspeed quite a bit, if for no other reason than it eliminates the need
>>>to put slots in Superspeed...slotting a travel power. Yuck.
>>
>>But slotting superspeed would be insane anyway, since it's almost at the
>>speed cap when you get it at level 14.
>
>Uh...right. Take your level 14 superspeeder up against a level 50 with
>swift sometime. See just how close to the cap you are as they vanish into
>the distance.

The difference is small, and more importantly, it's not a significant
increase the way other powers (IE FLY) are.
There is absolutely no need to slot superspeed or add any other form of
speed, SS on it's own and unslotted is more than fast enough.
[Fast enough to cause lag on slow connections from information
saturation.]

>>It would be especially insane for someone playing MA/SR since quickness
>>will already take you to the cap in conjunction with SS.
>
>I had forgotten about Quickness in this instance, and that is a fair point.
>
>>Swift is an ok choice for anything _but_ SS, with SS it's a waste of a
>>power.
>
>I went Hurdle/Swift/Stamina for my superspeeding defender. Works just fine.

"Works just fine" is not the same as "is the optimum condition", not to
mention that what's "fine" for a defender is not necessarily even useful
at all for another AT.

Xocyll
July 27, 2005 3:21:42 AM

Xocyll wrote:

>>>Swift is an ok choice for anything _but_ SS, with SS it's a waste of a
>>>power.
>>
>>I went Hurdle/Swift/Stamina for my superspeeding defender. Works just fine.
>
> "Works just fine" is not the same as "is the optimum condition", not to
> mention that what's "fine" for a defender is not necessarily even useful
> at all for another AT.

I like Swift on some of my SuperSpeeders because I use SS as a travel
power, not in missions. But I don't want to run Sprint and waste end.

--
John Parkinson
Anonymous

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:21:41 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:
>
>>On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:02:59 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
>>into the ether:

>>>But slotting superspeed would be insane anyway, since it's almost at the
>>>speed cap when you get it at level 14.
>>
>>Uh...right. Take your level 14 superspeeder up against a level 50 with
>>swift sometime. See just how close to the cap you are as they vanish into
>>the distance.
>
>The difference is small, and more importantly, it's not a significant
>increase the way other powers (IE FLY) are.

When I say "Vanish into the distance", it is because the difference is NOT
SMALL. I once thought that Superspeed was fairly similar across different
levels, until I saw someone much higher than my 'speeder doing it. His
superspeed vs mine was like my superspeed vs a level 13 using sprint.

>>>Swift is an ok choice for anything _but_ SS, with SS it's a waste of a
>>>power.
>>
>>I went Hurdle/Swift/Stamina for my superspeeding defender. Works just fine.
>
>"Works just fine" is not the same as "is the optimum condition",

Ok, Hurdle/Swift/Stamina is the optimum condition for my character.

> not to mention that what's "fine" for a defender is not necessarily even useful
>at all for another AT.

To which I'll point out...again...that I did say that Hurdle/Health/Stamina
was the best choice for the respec char under question.

I simply take issue with your assertion that Swift is somehow not a good
power with superspeed. It is.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 8:44:01 PM

"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message
> Hit 21 with RorShok and decided to burn my respec, since we're likely to
> get another with I5.
> So I read some of the online build docs and rebuilt:
>
> Focused Fighting, Storm Kick, Thunder Kick, Agile, Cobra Strike*, Crane
> Kick, Hurdle*, Hasten, Super Speed*, Health*, Practiced Brawler,
> Stamina*, and plan to take Dodge* next. (New choices are starred.)
>
> I'm only about 3/4 slotted, a mix of green, white and yellow, and am
> holding off until 22 to start slotting up with SOs. I might do an Inf
> transfer from 'Gunner to help out. Ran two linked missions and like the
> combination seems to work well. Can't wait to load up Health and Stamina
> and slot up CS a little more - I can see where its reliable disorient
> will be very useful soloing.

My MA/SR scrapper is 23 now, and the last two levels came pretty quick due
largely to getting Quickness. She only has Storm Kick and Thunder Kick,
leaves
brawl on autofire and goes around with stealth and superspeed on at all
times.
Quickness may only accept running boosts (of which I now have 2 slots of
DO's
--okay she's a bit poor yet) but it does add to Spd, Recovery and helps vs
slows.

With hasten coming up faster, stamina doing more for me and caltrops not
doing
jack to me, I cannot overly recommend this power to the build. I only wish
it would
slot other logical things (end rec).

Scotto the Unwise
Naranjie on Liberty 23 MA/SR