Memory stick question for Sony Clie

July 23, 2004 11:26:04 PM

A friend just inherited a Sony Clie SJ130. He's happy as a clam but wants to
expand the memory. This model uses Memory Stick for expansion. He's been
told by Joe Salesman that he HAS to buy a Sony brand stick. This doesn't
make sense to me since Sony licenses the specs for Memory Stick to other
companies.

So, what's the deal? Will any brand work? Also, what's the difference
between Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro (and any other incarnations)? And
before you berate me, I searched the web for this information until my
fingers turned blue. It seems to be some closely guarded secret.

-Ron
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 24, 2004 4:17:55 AM

In article <gDdMc.52675$ju5.47443@twister.socal.rr.com>,
"Ron" <abuse@hotmail.com> wrote:

> A friend just inherited a Sony Clie SJ130. He's happy as a clam but wants to
> expand the memory. This model uses Memory Stick for expansion. He's been
> told by Joe Salesman that he HAS to buy a Sony brand stick. This doesn't
> make sense to me since Sony licenses the specs for Memory Stick to other
> companies.
>
> So, what's the deal? Will any brand work? Also, what's the difference
> between Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro (and any other incarnations)? And
> before you berate me, I searched the web for this information until my
> fingers turned blue. It seems to be some closely guarded secret.
>
> -Ron

Others should work. You will need to check the specs, but I think the
SJ30 will handle up to a 128MB Memory Stick. If the specs say Memory
Stick Pro, then it should handle larger cards.

But it never hurts to be able to return it if it doesn't work for some
reason :-)

Bob Harris
using SanDisk 128MB MS in SJ22
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 24, 2004 2:44:34 PM

Try to get a Lexar Stick, which is by far the fastest.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 24, 2004 7:19:41 PM

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Ron wrote:

> A friend just inherited a Sony Clie SJ130. He's happy as a clam but wants to
> expand the memory. This model uses Memory Stick for expansion. He's been
> told by Joe Salesman that he HAS to buy a Sony brand stick. This doesn't
> make sense to me since Sony licenses the specs for Memory Stick to other
> companies.

I hope your friend has the real name of Joe Salesman so he can write a
letter of complaint to the store and copy it to Sony. In the USA, also
copy it to the FTC.

> So, what's the deal? Will any brand work? Also, what's the difference
> between Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro (and any other incarnations)? And
> before you berate me, I searched the web for this information until my
> fingers turned blue. It seems to be some closely guarded secret.

http://www.memorystick.com/en/ms/index.html was the first hit on my
google search.

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada