new computer reboots constantly

G

Ok so I have this problem.. I just built a new system today figuring everything would run fine together
But when I booted up the computer for the first time the thing just reboots in a constant loop.. every 5 sec or so..
What could be the reason for this? It seems as though I have tried everything.. removed networkcard, graphic card, all excess components to eleminate the problem.. But still no luck, It seems as though I have installed the cpu corretly.. I places the yellow triangle closest to the pin used to close/open the slot and then close the lid and locked it with the pin, After that I applied a thin layer of thermal paste and then places the stock cpu cooler ontop.. required a bit of force but I got it locked down at last...
If you guys have any solution for this problem I would be very happy..

psu: Enermax 650w
motherboard: Gigabyte-x48-DQ6
processor: Quad-Core Xeon X3350
graphic: Sparkle 8800GT passive
drive: Western Digital SE15 5000AAKS

akhilles

Splendid
Try each stick of ram in each of the slots, if there's any in there. Once the pc posts, go to bios, increase memery (DDR2) voltage to 2.1v or +0.3v. The default is 1.8v, not enough for some ram.

G

Hi, I have found out that whenever I have the graphic card inserted the thing have the loop issue.. but when I remove the graphic card it stays alive and beeps 8 times.. the error code for not having the card in.. then dies..

could it be that my powersupply just cant handle it and that I need another one?

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
mmmm i doubt it 650 should be enough for that build. i dont know how much the xeon processors pull in the way of power but it should'nt be enough to make that big of a difference. try a different gpu.

akhilles

Splendid
Enermax is far from crap. I think it may be a simple overlooked thing. Double-check all connections. The 8800GT needs a 6-pin power plug from PSU. I suggest you look at the manual for all the connections/pins. Don't bother with the other sections like BIOS/RAID. Get the pc up & running 1st. If you can't figure it out, check out youtube for "diy pc". Or even lug the pc to a computer store for a quick checkup.