How many peeps care about power consuption?

Poopsmasher

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
How many folks out there really care about a 10 or 15watt difference when buying a CPU? I mean come on! You spend a 1000 dollars on your PC and worrie about saving a couple of dollars a year on your electricity bill.

chechnyan

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
but there is another reason IMO
10 or 15watt may indicate the temperatures and overclocking limitation as for
the 6400+ and phenom 9850
for me i got the 5600+ over 600+ just because of this

macgirlfriend

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
OMG, you guys are so stupid! I bet Missy gonna freak when she finds this thread! Everyone edit your posts and say you do care, otherwise...

macgirlfriend

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
OMG, you guys are so stupid! I bet Missy gonna freak when she finds this thread! Everyone edit your posts and say you do care, otherwise...

randomizer

Champion
I wouldn't sacrifice performance, but if the power reduction is not at the cost of performance (or comes with an increase in performance, eg. Netburst-Core2) then I'll take what I can get.

Offtopic: I think I know who Missy is, not sure, but I have an idea.

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I do, up to a point, but then I pay my bills unlike most on here.
So I don't leave my PC on all the time etc. (as you can imagine, it does consume just a bit of power! :lol: )

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Power Consumption does have relevance and long periods of gaming on high end systems will all add up in the end.I don't sit on my computer all day gaming anyway .Laptops on the other hand are very energy efficient, for general computing and web surfing I use my laptop the most for lower consumption.

dv8silencer

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Considering only the $$$$ . 10 or 20 or even more watts difference will make no difference for almost everyone (especially when its a 20 watt MAX difference... not the difference at every moment in time)
It does matter for large corporations...

like others have mentioned.. the "other" relationships such as heat are more important to everyone

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
I think power saving features are great, it's the responsible thing to do and I think consumers should demand more of it. It's also convenient, like the sleep mode in vista, means you don't have to boot up again and the DES feature on my mobo, that keeps my cpu @2Ghz until I actually need 3. Look at monitors, the LED ones use a hell of a lot less energy yet produce way better pictures and contrast ratios of 12000:1 as apposed to 3000:1. If you pressure manufacturers into thinking and competition you always get a better product. The only reason were not all driving hydrogen cars or something else super cheap is because no one pressured the auto/oil industries, now they dictate fuel prices to us.

dv8silencer

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Curious Rant:
HOW CAN YOU NOT CARE ABOUT POWER CONSUMPTION? (free will, I don't blame you...) 10W or 15W can make a huge difference. For my science project I compared my stock BE-2400 and my underclocked and disabled core BE-2400 in power consumption (guess which won?). 12.79W makes a huge difference of about $20-40 on your energy bill! (yearly) add that up every few years and you've saved quite alot! (BTW I got my rig for way less than $500).

Why do I always use cold showers and a water saving shower head? Its not so that you guys can spend that energy on decaffeinating some drugged RPG character! Its because some of us care about the environment! Why didn't I chose the Pentium Dual-Core instead? It consumed alot more power! (and itunes encoding was kinda slower). If we all save energy in varoius ways we can more than halve the entire world's power consumption! By using less computers, toasters, ipods, gameboys and windmills we could all achieve lower power consumption. By using the radio to play music instead of the computer, that's a few hundred (or thousand) watts saved. Insignificant? No, If everyone shut off their computers instead of keeping them on at night that's alot here and there. However small we can all help stop global warming.

Ooo... Look at my shiny LED light! Meh see if I care. Many entusiants have all-sorts of useless LED lights and the such. Do I care? Yes I do! I removed my LED fan and reduced power consumption by 0.1W/h. Not much? True, but on a global scale this could affect many lives, such as those in poorer countries that must burn fossil fuels to create energy. How shall you stop this? Start using more cold showers- Most home electrical power is used for the water heater!

In my opinion, there should be no weather forecast computers as they suck up huge amounts of energy. They should never be used as if most people were like me and telepathic, would never need to know the weather report as we can predict the future.

On a similar matter of power consumption, is meat eating. Farms feed animals much vegetables that are grown just for them to eat. Now this conversion is inefficient as the animal needs to grow, move and replace dead cells with food. The energy gets used up thus leaving less for you humans and causing you to feed them more. If we directly absorb these nutrients less is wasted and the world will be able to all eat. On average a cow takes 200 more litres of water per kg to produce than the most thirsty of plants. World hunger would easily be solved.

Anyways its not like they treat the animals well either, but that's a different topic-type rant...

-fangirl

Money = ultimate motivator
Make wasting money pricey, and noone will do it. Make it cheap (like it is now.. power = very cheap) .. and everyone will. Going by your rant, we need to just kill ourselves..

What you do makes no difference anyways.. because it will lower demand of energy just by a small amount.. it will lower prices by this small amount.. and someone will go ahead and waste it

We will become more conservative when energy becomes more costly.

This is happening right now.. and that is why hydrogen-fueled cars, and other research is being done. Not because we care about some species, but because it is hurting our wallet.

I'm just saying what is true. As a person I don't want all these negative consequences to the environment. I truly don't. The more energy you save, the more likely someone else will use it for activities you deem wasteful.

Hell, I plug my rig directly to a couple trees, the wind and friction keeps em going, and when the tree dries/burns up, I just find a couple more trees. The sparks have killed a couple deer tho, and the wire did fall in a stream, connected straight to the ocean. Next day, a whale came floating up to shore. What can ya do?

dv8silencer

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Come on... be fair I said "if everyone was like me"

Come on if we all walked would there be many car accidents?

Come on if we all had vegetable gardens for food would we need to go to the shops?

Sure there are vehicles we can't do without, such as ambulances but the point remains...

If everyone were like you, we wouldn't be doing anything!
Bah, arguing with you is like trying to argue with someone about the meaning of life.. it'll go nowhere!
You're not only about avoiding wasting of energy.. you're about not using it in the first place!
Energy doesn't have feelings, we do. We use it to improve our quality of life. Based on your ideology, every advance past the stone age has been wasteful.

Actually, to a point I agree with you, its just a lil bit in each direction. Takes time to change my ways, curb my wants. One thing tho, the cold shower thing would only bring diminishing returns, and thats a no go. The rest, like I said, itll take time

macgirlfriend

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008

Duh, nicknames do have some form of meaning
Missy - adj thinks she's boss of the world

dv8silencer

Distinguished
May 7, 2008

Well I wish I would've paid attention to that...wouldn't have ended up wasting my time.