Tribes Still Won't Work

I hate to be such a dolt but here I go....

I've appended the command line to
C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe - online, and I still run into that
I need to update but there are no updates.

I've reinstalled Tribes but I still end up as above.

I've also reinstalled install DefenseTurret and it aborts.

Will avoiding the update screen get me through to the game? If so how can I
do that?

Frank
24 answers Last reply
More about tribes work
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Zappa" <Zappa@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >I hate to be such a dolt but here I go....
    >
    > I've appended the command line to
    > C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe - online, and I still run into
    > that I need to update but there are no updates.
    >
    > I've reinstalled Tribes but I still end up as above.
    >
    > I've also reinstalled install DefenseTurret and it aborts.
    >
    > Will avoiding the update screen get me through to the game? If so how can
    > I do that?

    You appended wrong, and used the wrong target. Target tribes2.exe and there
    is a space between exe and -, but not between - and online. It should be
    tribes2.exe -online.

    Quixote
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    I'm having the same problem. Can you please tell me what to type in
    "target" and "start in" in shortcut. Thanks
    "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message

    > "Zappa" <Zappa@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>I hate to be such a dolt but here I go....
    >>
    >> I've appended the command line to
    >> C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe - online, and I still run into
    >> that I need to update but there are no updates.
    >>
    >> I've reinstalled Tribes but I still end up as above.
    >>
    >> I've also reinstalled install DefenseTurret and it aborts.
    >>
    >> Will avoiding the update screen get me through to the game? If so how
    >> can I do that?
    >>

    > You appended wrong, and used the wrong target. Target tribes2.exe and
    > there is a space between exe and -, but not between - and online. It
    > should be tribes2.exe -online.
    >
    > Quixote

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:00:46 -0400, Zappa wrote:

    > I hate to be such a dolt but here I go....
    >
    > I've appended the command line to
    > C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe - online, and I still run into that
    > I need to update but there are no updates.

    Would you like to re-read the replys you originally got?

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

    I have gone through all of then, Thanks
    "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:00:46 -0400, Zappa wrote:
    >
    >> I hate to be such a dolt but here I go....
    >>
    >> I've appended the command line to
    >> C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe - online, and I still run into
    >> that
    >> I need to update but there are no updates.
    >
    > Would you like to re-read the replys you originally got?
    >
    > --
    > "There's violence to be done."
    > R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:17:14 -0400, Zappa wrote:

    > I have gone through all of then, Thanks

    Well, now you've read the posts... how about actually doing what the posts
    say?

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:17:14 -0400, Zappa wrote:
    >
    >> I have gone through all of then, Thanks
    >
    > Well, now you've read the posts... how about actually doing what the posts
    > say?

    Your "suggestion" that
    <<Alter that shortcut to point to the Tribes2 exe file, instead of
    "SierraUp.exe", and add " -online" (minus quotes) after the exe>> Did not
    work at all. And Yes I did it right.

    There is a note of nastiness in your tone. You have too much time on your
    hands.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:10:49 -0400, Zappa wrote:

    > Your "suggestion" that
    ><<Alter that shortcut to point to the Tribes2 exe file, instead of
    > "SierraUp.exe", and add " -online" (minus quotes) after the exe>> Did not
    > work at all. And Yes I did it right.

    Ok, did you get any error messages, or were you just dumped back to the
    desktop?

    > There is a note of nastiness in your tone.

    Methinks you've not seen the more... 'unpleasant' regulars.

    .... plus, I haven't yet gone full belt at you.

    > You have too much time on your hands.

    .... if only.

    (Yeah, I started work last month... and am getting a damn good salary for
    pushing buttons. That Canon EOS 350D setup (and/or the antique field
    camera) (and a week break in Poland) looms ever closer. :D )

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Zappa wrote:
    > "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> [snip]
    > There is a note of nastiness in your tone. You have too much time on your
    > hands.

    Well, uh... at least he's insightful.

    --
    Frank
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Zappa wrote:
    > There is a note of nastiness in your tone. You have too much time on
    > your hands.

    Frank, you've just uttered the one line that pisses me
    off every time I see it in print.

    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS HAVING TOO
    MUCH TIME. ~ FOR *ANYTHING*. ~

    Now pay attention to the erstwhile Mr K, for he speaks
    the Tribes truth, and I'm not gonna help ya.

    --
    > ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Mr K wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:10:49 -0400, Zappa wrote:
    >
    >> Your "suggestion" that
    >> <<Alter that shortcut to point to the Tribes2 exe file, instead of
    >> "SierraUp.exe", and add " -online" (minus quotes) after the exe>>
    >> Did not work at all. And Yes I did it right.
    >
    > Ok, did you get any error messages, or were you just dumped back to
    > the desktop?
    >
    >> There is a note of nastiness in your tone.
    >
    > Methinks you've not seen the more... 'unpleasant' regulars.
    >
    > ... plus, I haven't yet gone full belt at you.
    >
    >> You have too much time on your hands.
    >
    > ... if only.
    >
    > (Yeah, I started work last month... and am getting a damn good salary
    > for pushing buttons. That Canon EOS 350D setup (and/or the antique
    > field camera) (and a week break in Poland) looms ever closer. :D )

    Can I be a mouse in your pocket if you go to Poland? We haven't
    had a holiday in so long I've forgotten how to travel.

    <deep sigh>

    --
    > ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Mr K wrote:
    > (Yeah, I started work last month... and am getting a damn good salary
    > for pushing buttons.

    Congrats! I'm dying to know what you're doing now.

    Email if you're leery of posting it. Seems a couple of idiots
    have oozed out of the woodwork.

    --
    {{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
    >^,,^< Miracle

  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    >^,,^< Miracle's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
    >his body were:
    > Why, you snarky little pissant. Don't you EVER come in
    > here asking for help again and then cop an attitude when given it!
    > Dig out your asbestos Dr. Denton's, junior, cuz you'll sure
    > as hell need them.

    Woohoo! A good ol' fashioned flamefest with Miracle at the helm!
    *dives for cover and grabs some popcorn to watch the show*
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On 20 Apr 2005 07:08:11 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:

    > Congrats! I'm dying to know what you're doing now.

    I.T. technician/hangaring engineer.

    Basically, it involves me setting up a series of PC tills to behave as
    they would if they were installed in a shop. This includes full testing
    (hoo hooray... read instructions and push buttons) and fault diagnosing
    (yay, flex the old grey matter).

    Salary? 11K pm while training... 15K pm after training.

    The pisser is, I started 3 days before "payroll" paid the company... so
    I'm expecting a wage of 3 days for my first paypacket.

    > Email if you're leery of posting it. Seems a couple of idiots
    > have oozed out of the woodwork.

    There are a few things I can't divulge, of course. All company policy on
    secrets. :)

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:59:47 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On 20 Apr 2005 07:08:11 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
    >
    >> Congrats! I'm dying to know what you're doing now.
    >
    >I.T. technician/hangaring engineer.
    >
    >Basically, it involves me setting up a series of PC tills to behave as
    >they would if they were installed in a shop. This includes full testing
    >(hoo hooray... read instructions and push buttons) and fault diagnosing
    >(yay, flex the old grey matter).
    >
    >Salary? 11K pm while training... 15K pm after training.

    Congrats, man! I.T. is fun, if you enjoy the George Jetson mode of
    work. :)

    I'm in the process of assisting in a site-wide Windows XP rollout.
    About 800 machines all told.

    We're in the process of working out bugs and streamlining the install
    to where it'll be done via SMS (Microsoft's Systems Management Server
    (unaffectionately dubbed Sado-Masocist Suite)) at the end-user's
    ethernet drop.

    The fun part is, the "entity" I'm doing this for requires high
    security. So, the normal process would be to set up a machine, grab an
    "image" of the drive via SMS, put that package on the network and then
    use a CD with the SMS client and WinPE to pull the package down to the
    client PC. When done, the PC would have the OS and all the various
    applications needed installed and ready to go! That's the theory, at
    least. For a "normal" SMS push.

    However, the high security mentioned before requires the end product
    to be viciously STIG'd. (Security Technical Implementation Guidelines)
    But the STIG'd machine breaks the SMS package. So we're having to run
    a glorified batch file after the fact. But working out all the little
    difficulties has really been a test in patience for both the IT
    department and the people impatient to get XP out and rolling.

    >The pisser is, I started 3 days before "payroll" paid the company... so
    >I'm expecting a wage of 3 days for my first paypacket.

    Don't spend it all in one place!

    >> Email if you're leery of posting it. Seems a couple of idiots
    >> have oozed out of the woodwork.
    >
    >There are a few things I can't divulge, of course. All company policy on
    >secrets. :)

    I feel all Cloak and Dagger tingly!

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Mr K wrote:
    > On 20 Apr 2005 07:08:11 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
    >
    >> Congrats! I'm dying to know what you're doing now.
    >
    > I.T. technician/hangaring engineer.
    >
    > Basically, it involves me setting up a series of PC tills to behave as
    > they would if they were installed in a shop. This includes full
    > testing (hoo hooray... read instructions and push buttons) and fault
    > diagnosing (yay, flex the old grey matter).

    Aha! We call that a Point of Sale system, or POS for short! LOL
    You wouldn't believe all the "idiot-proofing" that is built in to our
    newer systems.

    No wait- you probably do! LOL

    > Salary? 11K pm while training... 15K pm after training.
    >
    > The pisser is, I started 3 days before "payroll" paid the company...
    > so I'm expecting a wage of 3 days for my first paypacket.

    That has always happened to me!! In fact, my first paycheck
    from the Shilo was for only *one* hour, because I went to a paid
    meeting the day before I began work, which was the start of the
    next pay period.
    I have it in a frame, on the office wall- never cashed it. :D

    >> Email if you're leery of posting it. Seems a couple of idiots
    >> have oozed out of the woodwork.
    >
    > There are a few things I can't divulge, of course. All company policy
    > on secrets. :)

    Well that goes without saying!

    --
    {{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
    >^,,^< Miracle

  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On 20 Apr 2005 21:19:27 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:

    > Gee that must be good! What does the "K" translate to?
    > Pounds sterling? Dollars? (I doubt it!) Shillings? I think pence
    > is pennies.................

    Er... shite... my mistake. Those totals were "pa"... not "pm".

    > WAIT- never mind! I've lost my manners today- that's a
    > rude question. Good heavens. My Grandmother is spinning
    > in her grave................

    It is?

    .... the question, not your Grandmother, I meant.

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4266c443_1
    @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

    > You wouldn't believe all the "idiot-proofing" that is built in to our
    > newer systems.

    Yeah, but when you do a better job of idiot-proofing, nature creates a
    better idiot.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 00:42:16 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:

    > You misspelled 'you' and 'misspelled'. Which is pretty impressive,
    > considering those were two out of three.

    :D

    > Well, dea's off then.

    I guess the deal's off as well.

    > Michael?

    Nope. Nowhere near as nasty as he was (is?).

    > Oh, no. That's "solitaire". I can't do that, yet.

    "Systems Integration" still do lots of nothing though... apparently. :)

    > So you don't have to stare straight ahead and shout out "Sir, how high,
    > sir!"? 'Cause it *sounds* like you're in the military.

    Nah, I'm just keen to keep the job, that's all.

    > That would be 1.1k.
    >
    > What do you get when you multiply 3, divided by 30, by 11000?
    >
    > I'm slowly realizing that you probably mean 1100 a month, not 11000. Wow.

    I did make a mistake. I meant "pa" instead of "pm".

    > 'Anker' is Dutch for 'anchor'. Useless, I know. Checking.

    Useless, maybe. Handy to know, ... ... no, you're right, it was useless.
    :)

    > "Can you measure the value of your POS system?"
    > These people actually sell stuff after insulting their customers'
    > systems like that?!

    Beats me, I just do the job I'm requested to do. :)

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Smeg - in the 'startup' folder you could have a self refrencing and deleting
    batch file to handle running the STIG bullshit....

    At work I'm presently seeing the hell of trying to get in line with 'HIPPA'
    guidlines. ugh.

    "Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:59:47 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On 20 Apr 2005 07:08:11 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
    > >
    > >> Congrats! I'm dying to know what you're doing now.
    > >
    > >I.T. technician/hangaring engineer.
    > >
    > >Basically, it involves me setting up a series of PC tills to behave as
    > >they would if they were installed in a shop. This includes full testing
    > >(hoo hooray... read instructions and push buttons) and fault diagnosing
    > >(yay, flex the old grey matter).
    > >
    > >Salary? 11K pm while training... 15K pm after training.
    >
    > Congrats, man! I.T. is fun, if you enjoy the George Jetson mode of
    > work. :)
    >
    > I'm in the process of assisting in a site-wide Windows XP rollout.
    > About 800 machines all told.
    >
    > We're in the process of working out bugs and streamlining the install
    > to where it'll be done via SMS (Microsoft's Systems Management Server
    > (unaffectionately dubbed Sado-Masocist Suite)) at the end-user's
    > ethernet drop.
    >
    > The fun part is, the "entity" I'm doing this for requires high
    > security. So, the normal process would be to set up a machine, grab an
    > "image" of the drive via SMS, put that package on the network and then
    > use a CD with the SMS client and WinPE to pull the package down to the
    > client PC. When done, the PC would have the OS and all the various
    > applications needed installed and ready to go! That's the theory, at
    > least. For a "normal" SMS push.
    >
    > However, the high security mentioned before requires the end product
    > to be viciously STIG'd. (Security Technical Implementation Guidelines)
    > But the STIG'd machine breaks the SMS package. So we're having to run
    > a glorified batch file after the fact. But working out all the little
    > difficulties has really been a test in patience for both the IT
    > department and the people impatient to get XP out and rolling.
    >

    > >The pisser is, I started 3 days before "payroll" paid the company... so
    > >I'm expecting a wage of 3 days for my first paypacket.
    >
    > Don't spend it all in one place!
    >
    > >> Email if you're leery of posting it. Seems a couple of idiots
    > >> have oozed out of the woodwork.
    > >
    > >There are a few things I can't divulge, of course. All company policy on
    > >secrets. :)
    >
    > I feel all Cloak and Dagger tingly!
    >
    > --
    > --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 05:10:07 -0500, ScratchMonkey wrote:

    > Yeah, but when you do a better job of idiot-proofing, nature creates a
    > better idiot.

    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups".

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    > On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 05:10:07 -0500, ScratchMonkey wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, but when you do a better job of idiot-proofing, nature creates a
    >> better idiot.
    >
    > "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups".

    As evidenced by AOL.

    Quixote
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:50:17 -0500, Quixote wrote:

    > As evidenced by AOL.
    >
    > Quixote

    .... and Slashdot.

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Quixote wrote:
    > Yes that is nice. I use Google so much during the day that I am afraid they
    > will start charging me. I type medical reports and use it to document
    > medical procedures, medications, diseases, facilities, doctors, organisms,
    > etc. Google is my start page. I am a Googler by profession...

    You work for Google Answers? They might be able to use a medical
    Googler, and apparently the pay is... variable.
    --
    Frank
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Frank van Schie" <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in message
    > Quixote wrote:
    >> Yes that is nice. I use Google so much during the day that I am afraid
    >> they will start charging me. I type medical reports and use it to
    >> document medical procedures, medications, diseases, facilities, doctors,
    >> organisms, etc. Google is my start page. I am a Googler by
    >> profession...
    >
    > You work for Google Answers? They might be able to use a medical Googler,
    > and apparently the pay is... variable.

    Actually that would be a Googlie. I am just a Googler, on the user end...

    Quixote

Games Command Line Video Games