Utility for Recombining Split storage

Uthar

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Hey people,

I ended up buying a NAS box (Acer Easystore H340) a little while ago and ran into a few problems. The device isn't booting anymore and I'm trying to recover the data from all the hard drives (3 X 1 TB drives) before sending it off to Acer for a replacement because they won't guarantee that the data will stay intact.

The acer box was running Windows Home Server and had basically some software RAID going, where all the physical drives are combined into one virtual drive, to which data is copied. Meaning, if I copied a folder with 14 files in, generally speaking 5 files went to 1 physical drive, 5 to another, and the last 4 to the last physical drive.

I can recover all the data, but considering how many folders of MP3s (among other types of data) I had, it'd be ridiculously time consuming to get all the right files back in the right folders. Does anybody know of a utility that could make copying the files easier? For example, I'd like to be able to instead of windows asking if I it can replace each folder with the new folders contents, to be able to only add new data that isn't there. In terms of the previous example, one I have the folder backed-up with the first 5 files, I'd like to just put the next 5 files into that folder. The same with all the subsequent folders without manually doing each.

Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks for the help.

Tim

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
This is just how I'd do it. It's a bit messy, but will guarantee to work.
Nuke your current OS partition and install Windows Home Server on it. For drivers use ones made for Server 2003, or otherwise XP.
That will read your 3x1TB as one virtual drive again so you can copy data+folder structure as you've originally stored off to another drive.

You'd need to 'find' a copy of Windows Home Server to install of course for 'testing' purpose. ;)

TRENDING THREADS