Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Don't know a thing about sata raid

Last response: in Storage
June 28, 2009 2:30:31 AM

My friend suggested I get two hard drives (sata raid?) which will help performance when I play games. I'm lost as to what I need if I do go this route. A lot of HD will have 3.0 sata written in the specs. Does this mean that these drives are sata raid compatible? I will be buying a MSI X58 Platinum SLI LGA 1366. Is this sata raid compatible? Do all I need is two HDs and a motherboard? If you go to newegg.com and type in sata raid, you'll get this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

do i need this?

also, what is the performance value of a single HD vs these 2 sata raids?
for example

sata raid:
hd A ($50)(30g) + hd B ($50)(30g) = performance value X

or

hd C ($100)(60g) = performance value lesser, greater or equal to X. Which one?

i hope this makes sense....

More about : thing sata raid

Best solution

a c 127 G Storage
June 28, 2009 4:36:32 PM

RAID is a feature offered by new motherboards.

While it can provide performance alot, it doesn't increase performance of games alot. This is because games programmers are exceptionally lazy and generally produce bad code. For them, an SSD would really speed things up because of its low latency; not RAIDs!

Running two disks in RAID0 will also make your array prone to failure, causing you to make backups etc. I would re-consider using RAID for your purpose. But all you need is a RAID-compatible chipset on your motherboard (like ICH10R or ICH9R but not ICH10 or ICH9 those do not have RAID support) and at least two disks of the same capacity.
a b G Storage
June 29, 2009 2:41:07 AM

+1 ^
Just remember, adding more HD's increases the chance of a HD failure. If you go with a RAID array, and you don't have a parity or mirrored drive and don't do manual backups, ALL of your data is gone.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 29, 2009 6:02:50 AM

You don't need the RAID card as the board has onboard RAID.

If you go that route, I'd recommend the western digital drives over the seagates'.
m
l
!