Jack Mackrel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Hi all,

I came back from a 3 day trip to find that my comp would not turn on, and that my mobo will not post. I am running an Asrock 775-vsta. I have swapped the power supply, so it isn't that.

After pressing power, the fans come up and the drives spin, but nothing happens.

When I remove the memory, I get beeps confirming that the memory is removed.

When I remove the video card, I get beeps confirming that it is removed.

When I remove the CPU, I get no beeps.

I have reset the CMOS, taken the motherboard out of the case to remove the possibility of shorts, removed the drives.

In short, when I power up with only the memory and video card in, I get no posting, no beeps, nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

The CPU runs though diagnostics first, so if it was bad, you wouldn't get memory beeps.

Can you verifiy that when you mash the keyboard on bootup, you do not hear any beeps?!? You shouldn't if there is a problem.

Also, you can purchase a PCI (POST) Diagnostics card which will tell you the error output of your motherboard. They sold them at CompUSA for $15 and were worth it. Online, or a local store may have them.

If you do hear beeps from mashing the keyboard, that means that you are not getting a display and it may be the video card.

Remember to remove absoluting everything NOT NEEDED TO BOOT. Such as hard drive, CD rom drive, modem (lol) or other non videocard cards.

Look forward to hearing from you.