Your question

Vertical Sync - 8800GT and Up. Critical Question

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Vertical Sync
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2008 5:55:00 AM

I use 8800GT and i turned V-sync off to gain more fps for the games i play. but now i am hearing noise from the graphic card itself...
Turning off V-Sync a bad thing? does it hurt(reduce) its life or performance? or overall computer's life and performace?

I am just little afraid of the noise i've never had until i turned V-sync off...
Sounds like the fan is spinning faster when sync is off...

I hear this sound when i reach up to 600~800fps.. while sync is off of course.

Now, i know what v-sync is and what it does. but my question is on wether turning it on or off would have any type of an impact
on its performace or its life.

I searched forums and sites here and there. but no one has ever asked this question, yet they're worry but don't care i guess..

Getting 800fps, i think is very extreme. and I don't want to harm my graphic card or does it?

More about : vertical sync 8800gt critical question

a c 119 U Graphics card
May 3, 2008 6:04:43 AM

That kind of noise can come from many things.

The most likely cause is the power systems coils buzzing. does it sound like a high pitched oscillating kind of noise that changes as you look around? If so many people have it and its from the power system.

Some motherboards and even power supplies do this too. I would not worry about it too much as my last 2 video cards both did that even with Vsync on in some games.

Most cases dampen this noise and i never noticed it until i moved my stuff into a quieter case with more vents.

BTW

what are you getting 800 fps in?
a c 130 U Graphics card
May 3, 2008 7:20:20 AM

damgyeah said:
I use 8800GT and i turned V-sync off to gain more fps for the games i play. but now i am hearing noise from the graphic card itself...
Turning off V-Sync a bad thing? does it hurt(reduce) its life or performance? or overall computer's life and performace?

I am just little afraid of the noise i've never had until i turned V-sync off...
Sounds like the fan is spinning faster when sync is off...

I hear this sound when i reach up to 600~800fps.. while sync is off of course.

Now, i know what v-sync is and what it does. but my question is on wether turning it on or off would have any type of an impact
on its performace or its life.

I searched forums and sites here and there. but no one has ever asked this question, yet they're worry but don't care i guess..

Getting 800fps, i think is very extreme. and I don't want to harm my graphic card or does it?

Well as you know the upshot of how V-sync works is that your card would end up doing less in most cases with it enabled, so from that point then technically the card would last longer with it on as the card is doing less, Creating less heat so the fan spins slower and the bearings get an easier time. Having said that its not anything you would notice over the life time of the card its all within what the card is capable of and it wont die on you in a couple of months just because V-sync is on or off.
800fps is extreme. Whats the rest of your set up and as nukemaster asked what are you playing to get that, turbo outrun or some other old title maybe ?
Mactronix
May 3, 2008 11:58:15 AM

Thanks guys, i am glad that i can take this question little further.

my current system is as follow:

Core 2 quad Q6600
4.0g ddr2 ram
8800gt oc'ed

and i just built it about month ago... so i can't let it die on me :( 

anyway i am getting that 800fps from a single game with v-sync turned off.
since the game runs faster (meaning my character runs faster) when fps is higher, more fps = faster speed :D 
i don't know.. um it's kinda wierd game i guess, but i play it.

I am properly managing the cooling system and everything seems fine.
So should i not worry about it? it doesn't reach 800fps at all time, just in some places here and there.
a c 130 U Graphics card
May 3, 2008 1:25:07 PM

damgyeah said:
Thanks guys, i am glad that i can take this question little further.

my current system is as follow:

Core 2 quad Q6600
4.0g ddr2 ram
8800gt oc'ed

and i just built it about month ago... so i can't let it die on me :( 

anyway i am getting that 800fps from a single game with v-sync turned off.
since the game runs faster (meaning my character runs faster) when fps is higher, more fps = faster speed :D 
i don't know.. um it's kinda wierd game i guess, but i play it.

I am properly managing the cooling system and everything seems fine.
So should i not worry about it? it doesn't reach 800fps at all time, just in some places here and there.

The reason i mentioned it may be an older game like Outrun is because that game wasnt synchronised with the system clock. which means that on todays pc's its virtually unplayable as it runs to the abillity of the hardware. which is way faster than it was when the game was released. This is what i suspect is happening to you. Anyway as long as all the clocks and temps look ok i wouldnt worry about it. If its to manic then just use the V-sync to slow it. I guess it must be quite a laugh having the mharacter going fast forward :) 
mactronix
May 3, 2008 8:08:42 PM

mactronix, wow.. you're scary..
that's exactly what is happening to me :p 
but different game.

Anyway what is ideal GPU (Graphic Card) Temp?

i have it somewhere around 30~40 when it's normal. and what v-sync off running that game at 700fps it's at 40~50...

Does this temp looks alright to play and not worry?
a c 119 U Graphics card
May 3, 2008 8:21:53 PM

Your temps are fine. its probably safe up to 80-90(Highest i ever say was a X1900XT @ 119c due to a fan error causing it to shut off) or so. you will most likely not top 70 even in new games.

I remember all the "Real arcade" games did that too, ran too fast. If i remember right so did Starwars : Shadows of the empire. Underclocked to play in.
a c 130 U Graphics card
May 4, 2008 7:00:48 AM

damgyeah said:
mactronix, wow.. you're scary..
that's exactly what is happening to me :p 
but different game.

Anyway what is ideal GPU (Graphic Card) Temp?

i have it somewhere around 30~40 when it's normal. and what v-sync off running that game at 700fps it's at 40~50...

Does this temp looks alright to play and not worry?

Like nukemaster said your good to go no worries with your temps in fact they are very good, remember the cards doing more with V-sync off so the temps would be expected to rise :) 
Mactronix
!