6800 problem: no acceleration, code 10, garbage displaying in BIOS

Toumaz

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
Hi, and sorry if this is going in the wrong section.

I was just recently playing a rather demanding game (TF2 for the curious), and my graphics card - a 6800 Ultra 256MB PCIex - was not too happy with it in the end. The game simply locked up for about 30 seconds, after which I was left to stare at a blank screen, but my computer was still running.

After rebooting, my BIOS is now displaying garbage characters instead of the proper ones, and any time I change resolution my screen is filled with the letter "á" in the process of resetting the display.

DXDiag presents me this: image.
Device manager is telling me "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

So far, I've, in vain, tried to reinstall my video drivers. Didn't help whatsoever.

Any help would be very appreciated.

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
dont know if that will solve it since he is experiencing problems already in the computer bios!
Sounds to me like you have a busted 6800ultra.

Toumaz

Distinguished
May 3, 2008

Did not work, and I already said that I reinstalled my video drivers in the first post.

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
reinstaling drivers never fixed bios artifacts.
I would say for you to replug the card to the motherboard, test another card on your computer, and test the 6800u on another computer. That should clear out things, if artifacts are shown with the 6800u on another computer then you might pretty much have a busted card.
Same way like with my 7900gt.

Toumaz

Distinguished
May 3, 2008

Thanks for your help, I'll give that a shot.