Time for a new mobo

Digit

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Hey, I'm here seeking some guidance

My current mobo Asus Fatal1ty AN9 32X, socket AM2, has a bad pci-e processor. Since the customer service at Asus repair place is terrible, I can not wait any longer, it's been 3 weeks. So I decided to get a new motherboard. As I plunge into the jungle of motherboard shopping I find that I need some advice.

The left over items that I have are:

2GB Corsair XMS2 Xtreme DDR2 Ram
150 GB WD Raptor 10000 rpm HD
250 GB WD Caviar 7200 rpm HD
2 Nvidia Geforce 8800GT video cards
680 watt PSU

My goal is to move to a Intel processor.

Can you guys advise me on what would be a good choice for a motherboard and a processor?
Cheers

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
i hear that all nvidia chipsets are crappy and cause a lot of problems. i noticed how everyone always recommands an intel chipset even for sli.

Mondoman

Splendid
Stick with Intel-chipset-based MBs for best stability in hardware and drivers. Gigabyte makes very good MBs. Sell one of your 8800GT boards on ebay, then buy a faster single-card solution (and sell your other 8800GT) when desired.

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
mm ya i disagree the 780I has gotten vary good reviews. intel makes good mobo's but i would not suggest getting one for sli'ing. but mondoman is right you should get just a single card solution. nothing wrong with sli. but one right know can be a lot better.

V aaaa ok.

Mondoman

Splendid
Just to clarify: I'm NOT suggesting to get an Intel *motherboard*; rather, get a n Intel-chipset-based MB made by a good quality manufacturer other than Intel.
nVidia chipsets in general have more features; Intel chipsets in general have fewer problems and better drivers.

ibuypower

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008

Yea yea do what he says

Maybe the Asus customer service is terrible because your motherboard is actually an Abit? :sarcastic:

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Since the P45 chipset mobos were just released, i would recommend get one of those as it seems there has been lots of good reviews for them. The Asus P5Q series, P5Q-Deluxe seem to be an excellent overclocker according to reviews.

Digit

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think i will keep my dual 8800gt for time being. I can't afford to sell them as used, and then buy another video card, and still have $400-$500 for a mobo/cpu combo.

But from what I understand, the consensus is that even with my SLi setup, I should still go with Intel P45 chipset, as opossed to Nvidia 790i or 780i?

HyperZoot

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I may be missing something but with dual 8800gt's, aren't you stuck using an nVidia based MOBO if you are wanting to SLi?